Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll : 3 Choices : Which Crime Series Is Best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say New Tricks
    "With foxes we must play the fox."
    -Thomas Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
      ...Waterman's cockney wide-boy, fond of booze, the gee-gees and the ladies...
      Ace mate, while I applaud your choice I think it would have made a greater impact if you had been able to articulate your thoughts in ENGLISH rather than, perhaps, Glaswegian? Over 'ere, a wide-boy is a male child of rather large girth, and the gee-gees were three British brothers who could sing like three women sopranos. Personally I don't see how either of these terms can apply to Dennis Waterman, who is known to his friends as either 'the skipper' or 'Tewl.'

Cheers,
      Dan.

Wide Boy

Gee-Gees
      So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan M View Post
        Ace mate, while I applaud your choice I think it would have made a greater impact if you had been able to articulate your thoughts in ENGLISH rather than, perhaps, Glaswegian? Over 'ere, a wide-boy is a male child of rather large girth, and the gee-gees were three British brothers who could sing like three women sopranos. Personally I don't see how either of these terms can apply to Dennis Waterman, who is known to his friends as either 'the skipper' or 'Tewl.'

Cheers,
        Dan.

Wide Boy

Gee-Gees
        Wide boy (Cockney) = One who always has some grubby, little money/power scheme on the back-burner.

Gee-gees = Horses - tends to mean one who bets heavily on them (legal in the UK, but often taken to excess).
        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

"New Tricks" is the only one I've seen of the three, But wife and I enjoy it immensely.

Comment

delete
            "With foxes we must play the fox."
            -Thomas Fuller

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X