Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll : 3 Choices : Which Crime Series Is Best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll : 3 Choices : Which Crime Series Is Best?

Which out of the three is best?

New Tricks http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362357/

Bones http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460627/

Cold Case http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368479/

You might like to mention why below.
    New Tricks
    38.46%
    Bones
    30.77%
    Cold Case
    30.77%
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

New Tricks

New Tricks is by far the best although to be fair, I've never seen Cold Case. (What an eclectic mix of programmes you've selected.)

Bones used to be good, but started to fall apart years ago when the producers decided that the personal lives of the participants was more interesting than the crimes being investigated. And all those un-catchable serial killers? Each with a crazier name than the next and a different ritual to their killing? It all eventually becomes boring.

Give me Jack Halford, Sarah Pullman, Gerry Standing and Brian 'Memory' Lane anytime.

Cheers,
    Dan.
    James Bolam, Amanda Redman, Dennis Waterman, Alun Armstrong
    So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

I've only seen New Tricks. However, the thread inspired me to look up James Bolan's 1960s Likely Lads series (I posted the first episode in the Barracks Humor sub-forum).

My set up currently gives me the crime series: Luther, Wire in the Blood, and Wallander. A bit too much realistic blood and gore in those for my taste, but hey......that's reality.

Philip
      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Never seen any of them. I used to watch CSI when William Petersen was on it. I prefer Ripper Street, and I am kicking myself for not watching The Following from the beginning.
        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've never seen any of those either.

My favorite current "crime" series would be Criminal Minds but its starting to go down hill IMHO.
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
            Which out of the three is best?

New Tricks http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362357/

Bones http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460627/

Cold Case http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368479/

You might like to mention why below.
            Just as an aside - why particularly just these three series?

For what it's worth, American crime serials in general are not enjoyable for me. For one thing, the criminal is usually easily spotted right at the beginning thanks to the lingering camera shot. Second, the killer almost always ends up being some obviously deranged psychopath. Third, it invariably devolves into a personal cat and mouse game with the detective. Fourth, too much glitz; it's as if the police departments and CSI units have a James Bond budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
              Just as an aside - why particularly just these three series?
              I haven't actually seen Cold Case myself but I'm given to understand it is somewhat similar to New Tricks. I enjoy crime series that involve real detective and forensic work. I have just started to watch TV again after a couple of years break (the three series are available on free to air TV on different nights) and thought it would be interesting to find some other opinions besides IMDB (which I usually agree with).
              The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                ...and I am kicking myself for not watching The Following from the beginning.
                Really? I watched the first three episodes of The Following and stopped because I thought the premise was..., well..., stupid. Insultingly stupid. Let's see, a serial killer incarcerated in a maximum security prison is able to get internet access and somehow contacts all of the other serial killers in the United States. Then, after escaping (killing about 7 people) and getting caught again, he unleashes a plan to get even with his ex-wife and the former FBI agent who put him away. By the way, did I mention that the ex-wife and the agent had had an affair after the killer was caught the first time?

The bodies really pile up in this show. Civilians and cops, in ever increasing numbers, are ritualistically killed in every episode. Or they were in the three episodes I saw. In two successive episodes, a serial killer (a different one each time) was able to break into the ex-wife's house even though the house was crawling with police officers and FBI agents. I mean really, twice? That's what I mean by stupid. Insultingly stupid. Never before has such a talented cast, especially Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy, been wasted acting in such dreck.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. I'm sure all serial killers are computer literate and just looking for a leader to give them guidance and direction. It's too bad because I was really hoping for it to be good.

Cheers,
                Dan.
                So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Comment

James Purefoy was the reason I meant to watch it. From Mark Antony to a serial killer?

Comment

I voted for Cold Case but I watch Bones.
                    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Bones. Cold Case leaves me cold since it is presented like a zero-budget documentary, and I don't watch geriatic crime series.

My personal preference, however, would be NCIS which is far better than Bones.

The Bones series does not do justice to the author's books, IMHO.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                        James Purefoy was the reason I meant to watch it. From Mark Antony to a serial killer?
                        I completely agree. James P is worth watching. He does a credible American accent.

Cheers,
                        Dan.

Comment

My mom had on Kelly and whats his name and James was on it Friday. He scares Kelly-not a big surprise. I saw clips and I was amazed at his American accent. The scene they showed was actually chilling. He is a damn good actor-he elevates the show, probably.

Comment

You forgot to add Person of Intrest . I like that the best

Comment

It has to be, 'New tricks.'

OK, Dennis Waterman plays his usual role of Dennis Waterman, just a little older, but the chemistry between the characters, despite their widely differing personalities (Waterman's cockney wide-boy, fond of booze, the gee-gees and the ladies, Bolam's competent and reliable by-the-book approach, Armstrong's geeky eccentric who can tell you everything about any case in the last 30 years, and Redman's constant exasperation at riding herd on a bunch of grey-haired little boys), well-written scripts and throw-away lines that crease you up every time - make it an absolute joy to watch.

I don't watch many crime dramas, but I seldom miss this cracker, even watching re-runs on, 'Alibi,' about the only programme on the channel worth watching.
                              Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X