X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horatio_nelson
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance Williams
    Don't forget "Full Metal Jacket".........
    That was an awesome movie, in my taste.

Leave a comment:

• horatio_nelson
    replied
    Originally posted by Napoleon
    I don't think its out in Canada yet.....
    It might be, but the title might be in French.

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by 17poundr
    Looks interesting, if it has similarities with amelie, then one can expect soem offbeat humour in it.

IMHO the best ww1 film is Cubrik's paths of glory. The film higlihts the horrible methods of executing soldiers for very little evidence.
    All this changed after verdun and petain, and the great mutiny, after this the french army was much more humain.
    yet, in the two first years, there was much injustice in the french army.
    Well it wasnt a picknick in any army, the Brits shot some 600 of their own troops mainly for desertion or cowardice in the face of the enemy, which could mean troops retreating form a hopeless attack and having a bad officer around!
    well, the cubricks film isnt so much about ww1, than an anti war statement. I did love what he did in spartacus and doctor strangelove too!!!
    Don't forget "Full Metal Jacket".........

Leave a comment:

• piero1971
    replied
    Originally posted by 17poundr
    I did love what he did in spartacus and doctor strangelove too!!!
    "you can't fight in here, it's the War FORUM"

Leave a comment:

• 17poundr
    replied
    Looks interesting, if it has similarities with amelie, then one can expect soem offbeat humour in it.

IMHO the best ww1 film is Cubrik's paths of glory. The film higlihts the horrible methods of executing soldiers for very little evidence.
    All this changed after verdun and petain, and the great mutiny, after this the french army was much more humain.
    yet, in the two first years, there was much injustice in the french army.
    Well it wasnt a picknick in any army, the Brits shot some 600 of their own troops mainly for desertion or cowardice in the face of the enemy, which could mean troops retreating form a hopeless attack and having a bad officer around!
    well, the cubricks film isnt so much about ww1, than an anti war statement. I did love what he did in spartacus and doctor strangelove too!!!

Leave a comment:

• Napoleon
    replied
    I don't think its out in Canada yet.....

Leave a comment:

• piero1971
    replied
    a supremely brillant film imho!

excellent and realistic portray of trench life and warfare and 1919-1920 france.

Very funny movie too: when raw recruits are sent to the front and pass by diggers digging graves and they ask: who are you making graves for, we see no corpses?" the diggers reply: "you are sent for an attack, so we are anticipating"

VERY GOOD. go and see it!

Leave a comment:

• horatio_nelson
    replied
    Sounds like a very interesting movie, I think I may go see it

Leave a comment:

• Larkin
    replied
    You're right. What other good ones are out there (so that I may view them)?

Leave a comment:

• Napoleon
    replied
    Looks interesting. There aren't enough WW1 films out there.....

Leave a comment:

• Saint Jeremy
    replied
    Could be a decent movie. There was an all British film done a few years ago called Enigma and it had the same leaning. Romance tied in with war.

Leave a comment:

• HiredGoon
    started a topic New WWI Movie

New WWI Movie

There's a new French WWI movie hitting theaters Nov. 26, the day after Thanksgiving. Titled, "A Very Long Engagement." It's French and is mostly a period romace story, but it looks like there'll be some good combat scenes. From what I saw in the trailer, it looks like some good CGI, and period details. You can check out the trailer here.

"January 1917: five French soldiers are marched to their own front lines where they will be tossed out into no man's land with their hands tied behind their backs and left for the Germans to shoot. They were, in civilian life, variously a pimp, a mechanic, a farmer, a carpenter, and a fisherman; now they are condemned because each had sought to leave the war by shooting himself in the hand. Taken to a godforsaken trench nicknamed Bingo Crépuscule, the five are reluctantly sent out into the darkness; days later, five bodies are recovered and the families are notified, merely, that the men died in the line of duty.

August 1919: Mathilde Donnay receives a letter from a dying man. In it, the former soldier tells her that he met her beloved fiancé, the fisherman Manech, shortly before he died. Mathilde goes to meet Sergeant Daniel Esperanza at his hospital and there hears the story of the execution. She also receives a package with a photograph of the men and copies of their last letters. As Mathilde reads and rereads the letters and goes over Esperanza's tale, she begins to suspect that perhaps the story didn't end quite so neatly. And so begins her very long investigation into the mysterious circumstances surrounding the deaths of five condemned prisoners--one of whom, at least, might not really be dead."
    Last edited by HiredGoon; 17 Nov 04, 20:36.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X