Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robot Combat League

Alternate title: SyFy's latest insult.

As a fan of the original BattleBots and Robot Wars I figured, this is an easy formula, it's been done before, could be fun.

What the hell was I thinking.

The robots are all the same basic design with cosmetic add-ons to give them 'personality' (well more personality than the contestants at any rate.) The contestants don't build or even fix their own robots. That's done by a 'pit crew' aka the manufacturer's field reps.

They don't actually damage each other. A "good hit" scores some kind of style points and sets off some pyrotechnics that are supposed to give the impression of damage (even though the sparks always come out of the same spot regardless of where the robot was hit.)

The contestants work in two person teams, one driving, the other punching. They don't appear to have been given much time to practice before filming began. Most of the show consists of clips of the teams a) trash talking and b) trying to get their act together.

It combines the worst aspects of WWE, Survivor, and Honey boo boo. I deleted the one hour I'd recorded without finishing it.
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Totally agree. I was completely taken back by the "damage" & "explosions"....obviously rigged ahead of time to give it a "better feel". I will not watch that again.
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

The sparks flying, all rigged special effects. Battle damage, easily done given how poorly protected the robots are in their hydraulic activators and connectors. A good whack, even just a quick move that doesn't connect, is going to cause things to break. One good whack in the unprotected gut and there is instant fatal damage to hoses and servo controls. Worse of all, they are stuck to a balance pole to keep them upright and an umbilical cord to supply hydraulic fluid and electrical control.

Way over hyped.

Robot Wars is still the best especially how the combatants quickly developed the technology over the years in the weight classes for creating devastating damage and superior protection. Powerful axes, spinning blades with cyntrifical force to add to the impact on contact, ram scoops to flip over opponents, crushing claws, all balanced with titanium armor, self righting mechanisms, the ability to operate effectively flipped over, fast maneuvering speed, and skilled operators. The contestants were free to experiment with anything, except for explosives or fired projectiles, that they wanted to try out to destroy their opponent as well as to protect their own robot from damage.
      Last edited by SRV Ron; 28 Feb 13, 17:42.
      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I was unimpressed by the pilot or all the same reasons already mentioned.

I expected a lot more - frankly, i was hoping for something along the lines of the previous "robot wars" but taken to the next level.

These things are poorly constructed, rigged with special effects, and the operators seem to have little or no actual experience. Beyond that, there was no attempt to segregate by weight classes, but an obvious effort to make the robots look like their teams; i.e., a soldier robot for the soldiers and so forth, and, of course, the often useless "fists".

This is just WFW with fireworks and hydraulic fluid.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Episode two, huge waste of time with excessive hype and tons of clips of sparks and hydraulic fluids flying. Took them an hour to show five minutes of fights.

So called advantages of some robots doesn't exist. They all have the same internal construction often exposed to being easily damaged. Armor can be knocked off if hit just right. One training robot broke its arm just by the rapid movement commanded to it during training.

Fight two ended when the so called most powerful robot got cut in half in the midsection by a slicing blow to that unprotected part of it. Fight three ends at round two due to all the broken activators spewing oil all over the arena.

Solution to disabling the opponents, go after the arms near the shoulder or try to smash the mid section where armor protection is the weakest.

Robot Wars, so much better.
          Unfortunately, those episodes no longer appeared to be linked for viewing.
          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
            Episode two, huge waste of time with excessive hype and tons of clips of sparks and hydraulic fluids flying. Took them an hour to show five minutes of fights.

So called advantages of some robots doesn't exist. They all have the same internal construction often exposed to being easily damaged. Armor can be knocked off if hit just right. One training robot broke its arm just by the rapid movement commanded to it during training.

Fight two ended when the so called most powerful robot got cut in half in the midsection by a slicing blow to that unprotected part of it. Fight three ends at round two due to all the broken activators spewing oil all over the arena.

Solution to disabling the opponents, go after the arms near the shoulder or try to smash the mid section where armor protection is the weakest.

Robot Wars, so much better.
            Unfortunately, those episodes no longer appeared to be linked for viewing.
            They're still on YouTube:

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              They're still on YouTube:

They must be really buried as a quick search gave me animated cartoons.

Those battles are so much more interesting. In this battle Stinger can cause light damage if you get in the way of its club when it is spinning. The other robot can only flip over its opponent. Stinger is unique in that it functions regardless of what side it is running on. You have to flip it out of the ring to win or have a crushing claw that grabs a wheel.
              “Breaking News,”

Comment

Battlebots was my favorite.

Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Most of the competitors showed up on both Robot Wars and Battlebots. Some contestants even owned several robots. I was amazed that no one actually got into a situation where he had to fight his own.
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X