Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there really such a thing as a "jump scare" anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modelsinchina
    replied
    What about the one in the fellowship of the rings when Bilbo went all freaky over the ring, was not suspecting that.

I thought one of the scariest scenes was in the firefly serenity movie, those reavers are what nightmares are made of.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    IMO... The best "jump scare" scenes were in Jaws The scenes where the head rolls into view in the hole in the boat's hull, causing Hooper to drop his dive knife and the tooth and when Brodie is throwing the chum and the shark surfaces (We're gonna need a bigger boat). Those two scenes made me jump.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    "They also serve who only stand and wait." Milton

"God doth not need
    Either man's work or his own gifts. Who best
    Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
    Is kingly: thousands at his bidding speed,
    And post o'er land and ocean without rest;
    They also serve who only stand and wait."

The doers in the field cannot function without your tireless support day after day.

Not bad for an agnostic...right?
    Yes. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    I just opened my tax bill.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
    I used to work at a library but I've since gotten back into missions. But I don't have the charisma for speaking or the language skills for field ministry. So I'm kind of in the REMF end of keeping track of the ministries and missionaries and seeing who needs what and that they get it. Plus mail sorting. Newsletters. Etc. My weird schedule comes from talking with ministers in Chennai which is most of what I handle geographically.

I imagined becoming a warrior for Christ. Instead I became a bureaucrat.
    "They also serve who only stand and wait." Milton

"God doth not need
    Either man's work or his own gifts. Who best
    Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
    Is kingly: thousands at his bidding speed,
    And post o'er land and ocean without rest;
    They also serve who only stand and wait."

The doers in the field cannot function without your tireless support day after day.

Not bad for an agnostic...right?

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypaspist View Post
    I look at these more as startling moments rather than scary. If something is actually disturbing, it sticks with you for a while. If it is disturbing because it is genuinely scary (ie it doesn't rely on gruesome images only) then it means that someone smart came up with it. There is no creativity in having prolonged silence and then SCREEEEEEEAAAAM in your face. Anybody will jump at that, but it's not really scary when you think about it.
    Seconded. I like creepy visuals like in Poltergeist or The Shining. That haunted hotel room flick was good too. I also like macabre. Like Bram Stokers Dracula. Jumpers are cheap and increasingly predictable.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
    The world wants to know how you fill those 17 hours. You haven't let on during my time here.

Philip
    I used to work at a library but I've since gotten back into missions. But I don't have the charisma for speaking or the language skills for field ministry. So I'm kind of in the REMF end of keeping track of the ministries and missionaries and seeing who needs what and that they get it. Plus mail sorting. Newsletters. Etc. My weird schedule comes from talking with ministers in Chennai which is most of what I handle geographically.

I imagined becoming a warrior for Christ. Instead I became a bureaucrat.

Leave a comment:

• Hypaspist
    replied
    I look at these more as startling moments rather than scary. If something is actually disturbing, it sticks with you for a while. If it is disturbing because it is genuinely scary (ie it doesn't rely on gruesome images only) then it means that someone smart came up with it. There is no creativity in having prolonged silence and then SCREEEEEEEAAAAM in your face. Anybody will jump at that, but it's not really scary when you think about it.

Leave a comment:

• Castro
    replied
    I still fall for a jump scare every now and then. Although it's not usually in the movies that rely on jump scares, where it gets predictable, but the movies that use it once or twice out of nowhere.

I do laugh when very recent movies use the "face in the mirror as you close the door" jump scare, does anyone really fall for that?
    Even a five year old saw that trick in ten diferent movies...

Leave a comment:

• PhilipLaos
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
    Actually....my day begins at 10 AM and ends around 3 AM.
    The world wants to know how you fill those 17 hours. You haven't let on during my time here.

Philip

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
    Go to bed!!!

What are you - nocturnal?

Philip
    Actually....my day begins at 10 AM and ends around 3 AM.

So.....sort of. At least until I can convince Chennai to switch to Central time.

I never drink...coffee....after 1 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipLaos
    replied
    Go to bed!!!

What are you - nocturnal?

Philip

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypaspist View Post
    Isn't that what the whole Paranormal Activity franchise is based on?
    Heh, PA is 89 minutes of boredom followed by 1 minute of mildly predictable action.

Leave a comment:

• Hypaspist
    replied
    Isn't that what the whole Paranormal Activity franchise is based on?

Leave a comment:

• Is there really such a thing as a "jump scare" anymore?

So I was watching Sinister. I always liked Haunted House flicks. But like every movie anymore they end with the monster sticking his face up to the camera at the end. This is called a "jump scare". It is supposed to startle the audience.

It would be more startling if I didn't see it coming a mile away. These "jump" scares get telegraphed like a slow motion haymaker. They're supposed to be startling but the foreshadowing, the music, and the cliche points they spring them at. I was watching the movie going "five...four...three...two...one...oh how surprising. I totally didn't see that coming. Yawn."

Anyway jump scares aren't so jumpy. Vary it a little Hollywood!

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X