Do you also wish that Top Gear U.S. didn't suck? I give you: Roadkill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you also wish that Top Gear U.S. didn't suck? I give you: Roadkill

So do I! And I've finally found a viable alternative. If anyone else here has been reading Hot Rod for a while, they'll be familiar with David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan. Well, they've started a web series called Roadkill, and it's really everything that I ever could have hoped for. It's all of the chemistry, childishness and wanton destruction that any red-blooded man could ever have dreamt of. I'm going to post a few episodes, and if you like what you see, watch some more to get those view counts up! I sincerely hope they keep making these great episodes!

...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

You know what the problem is don't you! It's not Top Gear, It's an imitation gucci bag.

Paul
    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
    All human ills he can subdue,
    Or with a bauble or medal
    Can win mans heart for you;
    And many a blessing know to stew
    To make a megloamaniac bright;
    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
      You know what the problem is don't you! It's not Top Gear, It's an imitation gucci bag.

Paul
      Dibbs, this may surprise you, but I agree. I never thought they should have attempted to adapt the series to an American audience. The prescription I provided above is much more in tune with American gearheads. I love to see Clarkson commenting on how utterly rubbish a Morris Marina is, but I love to see Freiburger having his sleeves rolled up, and him and Finnegan seeing yet again no solution to their cooling problems besides removing the hood.
      ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

I didn't mind Top Gear US toooo much, but this looks better, and you're a reliable source on what is good, so I'll be watching these web episodes (or webisodes, if you will............*tumbleweed*) with high expectations!
        ------
        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

I don't watch Top Gear US at all, since I can watch the original, good, UK Top Gear. I just wish that Top Gear US was on the Histroy Channel. That's not the place for a show like that. But, the History Channel is going the way of The Learning Channel (now called: TLC--and it's programming sucks).

Oops. I ranted. Anyway, I'll stick with UK Top Gear.
          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Rat Rods To The Rescue

A pretty good update. I don't care that the Willy's was a POS, it looked badass. I would certainly have picked up their tab to drive home with it.

...and the Muscle truck...everyone loves the Muscle truck.

Comment

Thanks for the thread necromancy, pointed out that I had some spelling errors and stuff in my last post. Of course, I can't edit it now and fix it now.

Oh well. I do like that Jeep, btw.
              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Top Gear sounds like a show to use as an excuse not to go cut the grass.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Top Gear (UK version) is the only TV show I regularly make an effort to watch. The US version, I can't stand. I agree with the earlier posts about the US copycat edition being unnecessary, but also I would add that US Top Gear completely misses the point. The personalities on UK Top Gear are interesting, and unique.

I also noticed this with car magazines (and now websites). When I was younger, in the days before the Internet, I used to read Car and Driver magazine quite regularly. Not only did it cover interesting subject matter, but it had a quasi-comedic, sarcastic quality to some of its writing. A lot of folks have tried to imitate that, and the vast majority of them stink at it. Can't fault people for trying, but entertainment takes talent and sometimes it seems thinly spread.

No one should really try to create a second Top Gear. Instead, they should come up with something entirely original.

Comment

Originally posted by Castle View Post
                    No one should really try to create a second Top Gear. Instead, they should come up with something entirely original.
                    There is more than just US Top Gear. I think there is a (South) Korean Top Gear, and Aussie Top Gear, and a German Top Gear--maybe more? So it's not a question of creating a "second" Top Gear anymore. I don't and haven't watch the others though, so I can't vouch if they're necessary or not at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                      Top Gear sounds like a show to use as an excuse not to go cut the grass.
                      It is a show about lawn mowers.
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                        There is more than just US Top Gear. I think there is a (South) Korean Top Gear, and Aussie Top Gear, and a German Top Gear--maybe more? So it's not a question of creating a "second" Top Gear anymore. I don't and haven't watch the others though, so I can't vouch if they're necessary or not at this time.
                        Well any other Top Gear, then. To put it differently, Top Gear isn't entertaining necessarily because its a car show with a set of hosts who do scripted stuff that's sort of comedic. Top Gear is entertaining because it is a car show with (specifically) James May, Jeremy Clarkson, and the short guy. So, unless I've got James May, Jeremy Clarkson, and the short guy, I'd make something else entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                          Yes, there was an Australian Top Gear, which began with the blessing of Clarkson himself. It was quite a worthy effort, I thought, but it lacked the style, punch and humour of the British original. The same goes for the episodes of the US version that I've seen:- interesting enough, but lacking the appeal of the original example.

There's no doubt that the BBC must have allocated a considerable budget for the show: and they are fortunate indeed in the three presenters:- Clarkson, May and Hammond.
                          Last edited by BELGRAVE; 15 Aug 13, 20:01.
                          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

As I said in the another post about Top Gear, when the BBC licensed the show for foreign markets they were very strict about the new shows copying the format of the UK version. I saw James May talk about this in an interview. Rather than giving them the flexibility to better adapt it to the local market they just assumed that what worked in the UK would work elsewhere. Especially since so many people in other countries were already watching Top Gear UK.

But they missed the point. They were too rigid. The Americans weren't given a free hand to try to make it more appealing to the American market, and it made no sense to try to copy the UK version because you could just watch it if you wanted. Plus there was just no way to Duplicate Clarkson, May,and Hammond, so they shouldn't have tried. They should have allowed each market to adapt things more for that market. There was just no chemistry between the hosts of the US version. In an attempt to get the American versions of Clarkson, May and Hammond, they missed completely.

I mean really, they had the format copied down to the point of the track driver in the US also being called "The Stig"? That should never have been. The Stig is a great character, but is too closely associated with the UK version. They needed something different in the US.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X