X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baa Baa Black Sheep.

This was a fun series...

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Used to love that show so much!
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

I enjoyed the show but I heard some former members of the Black Sheep Squadron were not happy with it.
      “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
      ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Loved it! One of my favorite shows as a kid. I can see why some of the vets might have been peeved though. It did kind of resemble Animal House going to war.
        ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Well, there were no women to chase for the Black Sheep and did those Rear Echelon types really wear suits in the Tropics? Pappy probably needed the money bad when he signed on.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
            I enjoyed the show but I heard some former members of the Black Sheep Squadron were not happy with it.
            Well, there was a lot of phony-baloney in it, but that's Hollywood.

People loved it because it was, and still is, the only one of it's kind. They were actually flying those old birds.

Imagine what they could do today with CGI...
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
              I've read the same thing. Boyington's reply was that he was just giving the producers what they wanted. Boyington has always been more popular with the general public than with his peers. That may have had something to do with his tendency to embellish his own exploits, often to the detriment of others.
              If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

This is one of my favorite shows.I watched back in 1987 when i was 12 yrs old on weekdays when ever I was on spring break or summer vacation when it was in syndication and again when it aired on the History Channel.

Comment

The criticism by the former members of VMF 214 was mainly the suggestion they were “misfits and rejects”, they were not or they wouldn’t have been Marine Aviators.

There is a book, THE THREADBARE BUZZARD, by Thomas M. Tomlinson.

Tomlinson went from Montana to Canada prior to Pearl Harbor and joined the RCAF. Shortly after the US got into the war he and other US pilots were given the opportunity to transfer to the US military services and he chose the Marines.

He flew Wildcats (he was a member of the “Cactus AF” on Guadalcanal) and Corsairs until the end of the war and was a member of the first VMF 214, before “Pappy” Boyington.

He is highly critical of “Pappy’s” record. He insist some of his kills were credited by the Public Relations types in the Corps to garner publicity.

This doesn’t take anything away from Col. Boyington, there is no doubt that he was a great pilot , leader and hero; although maybe not so great a man.

Comment

It wasn't just members of VMF214 that had issues with Boyington's antics. An acquaintance of mine was a Marine pilot flying with another squadron serving in the same area. He related a story to me about how one of his best friends was killed because the commander of the unit flying top cover on a mission was suffering the effects of a party the previous night and failed to respond to the pleas for help from my friends outfit. The commander was Boyington and the unit was VMF214.
                    That is one story that never made it into the history books, but my friend assured me that it was "discussed in some detail" once everyone was on the ground.
                    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by redding View Post
                        It wasn't just members of VMF214 that had issues with Boyington's antics. An acquaintance of mine was a Marine pilot flying with another squadron serving in the same area. He related a story to me about how one of his best friends was killed because the commander of the unit flying top cover on a mission was suffering the effects of a party the previous night and failed to respond to the pleas for help from my friends outfit. The commander was Boyington and the unit was VMF214.
                        That is one story that never made it into the history books, but my friend assured me that it was "discussed in some detail" once everyone was on the ground.
                        I am suprised he wasn't court martialed for that.
                        “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                        ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X