The Game of Thrones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is writing the next installment called The Winds of Winter
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
      I got the boxed set at Wally World, for 25$.
      Never bought a whole season sight-unseen before, guess I'm hooked.

Ending it well is the key... unlike that abortion called "Lost".

I have my doubts about this Martin fellow. He's made a habit of punishing Honorable behavior and tries to show that mercy is for idiots.
      This does not bode well for Dani... who in my opinion is all that can save this fractured land from the permanent Winter that the White Walkers promise.
      Stabbed in the back after saving the day seems to be her fate, but maybe not, maybe the author will see that a happy end for her (and just about anyone else involved) would be the biggest surprise this series can offer.

The Stark kids...
      Will any of them see each other again? This is not such a dark part of the series, its classic adventure. However...
      Arya Seems to be on the path to a remarkable career, joining with those foreign masters of the sword? I think she'll do just fine.
      Sansi... grim times for her since she caught Geoffry's eye. Tragic suicide, death by Kingly abuse, death by assassin... or maybe the Hound will steal her away and they can live happily ever after (for about 20 minutes).
      The little boys are headed to THE WALL?!? Okay, that bewitching, mesmerizing Wildling Woman is with them, but what the hell is her game? Trying to lure the army to go north, instead of "the wrong way", perhaps?

In any event, I am more convinced than ever that this world hinges on the Wall, and what happens there. The commander took 400 men to that outpost where the White Walkers have just arrived. That leaves, what, 2 men per mile of the Wall? Doesn't matter how tall that Wall is, its not a line, more like the Ghost of a line.
      Recall that the first scene of season 1 and the last of season 2 both take place North of the Wall. Yeah, that's the place, alright, its just a matter of Westeros destroying it's armies before they realize what's really going on, I think.
      All the rest is peripheral.
      Agreed - much of this will be settled by the Wildings, and by Danerys Targerion, her newly acquired Army of Eunuchs and her dragons, fairly well grown by the time Season III kicks off. But will she ever fall for her bodyguard? If not, for whom?

I'm betting on her, though, because King's Landing still has the original dragon stables.

I'm still a fan of Tyrion Lannister, however, and I wonder what will become of Jamie if they follow the books.

As for Arya, although she is a very interesting character, she is too young to come into her own before this whole thing is over.

One of the biggest questions is what will be the future of John Snow? Does it truly lie with his command of the Watch, or will he become the leader of a new kingdom of the North made up of the Wildings? Given his attraction to the Wilding girl, I'm betting on the latter, since he can exert a claim on Winterfell.

Funny thing about the wall...if you look at it closely, the land and sea to either side are frozen; therefore, the wall could be flanked with relative ease during a hard winter.

But no matter how it goes, Martin needs to get off his duff and finish it, instead of trying to follow inconsequential characters at every turn. He's mired himself down in minutia that isn't relevant to either the overall plot of the principle characters.

He is supposedly working on Book VI, but that was the situation two years ago. Truth is, he's writing other stuff instead of finishing GoT. I suspect he doesn't really want to end it - that's he's caught up in what is likely his greatest work and some of his finest and most memorable characters and he's wishing it could go on forever. At some point, however, he is going to have to come back down to "earth" and deal with the issues of large scale starvation due to the wars and pillaging that have already taken place, which means the war has to be settled within a year at the latest before starvation brings about the disintegration of the various armies and the situation gos beyond any resolution or redemption.

BTW, for those of you who haven't yet seen them yet, there is a series of maps of the Seven Kingdoms now available (marketing ploy), and it is immediately obvious that England is the model for the Kingdom of the Iron Throne, and the Wall is taken directly from Hadrian's Wall, the Wildlings being the equivalent of the Picts and Celts. You will recall from your history that Rome forgot about and abandoned its Legions dedicated to guarding Hadrian's Wall, just as the Seven Kingdoms have abandoned the Watch.
      Last edited by Mountain Man; 04 Mar 13, 11:47.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Funny thing about the wall...if you look at it closely, the land and sea to either side are frozen; therefore, the wall could be flanked with relative ease during a hard winter.
        Yeah, how about that, eh?

I need to read the books, but the waiting list at the Library is ridiculous.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

If you lived out here, I would loan you my copies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Not according to Barnes and Noble. The following Martin books were all published in 2012:

Fevre Dreams 4/24/2012

Wild Cards 6/26/2012

Windhaven 10/16/2012

Complete Dreamsongs 10/16/2012

Down These strange Streets 12/04/2012

And he has many others published prior to 2012 that are not part of the GoT series.

Fevre Dreams and Windhaven are reprints. They were originally published in the 1980s.
            Dreamsong is a collection of his early writings. Before he started GoT.
            Wild Cards and Down these strange Streets are anthologies. He was primarily the editor of these although he he does contribute short stories.

MM I think you need to be a little more patient. Martin is very busy with GoT, not just the books but also the show as well. He has written the screenplays for several episodes thus far and is very inolved in promoting the show at conventions and such.
            Last edited by Legate; 04 Mar 13, 14:39.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
              Fevre Dreams and Windhaven are reprints. They were originally published in the 1980s.
              Dreamsong is a collection of his early writings. Before he started GoT.
              Wild Cards and Down these strange Streets are anthologies. He was primarily the editor of these although he he does contribute short stories.

MM I think you need to be a little more patient. Martin is very busy with GoT, not just the books but also the show as well. He has written the screenplays for several episodes thus far and is very inolved in promoting the show at conventions and such.
              And your point is? personally, I'm losing interest in a story that will require two more books and probably three to four more years to conclude.

He makes a living selling what he writes to customers; therefore, keeping customers happy is his primary goal in life. Meanwhile, he has already admitted in public interviews that he is bogged down in the mess that has now become both book VI and book VII because he packed so much needless stuff into V that he can't finish in one more book...and that, of course, sounds like a plan to force an extra book on the market.

If you take a look at the writing schedules of other successful authors who write monster tomes of hundreds of pages, you will find that Martin has fallen far behind where he should be.

Comment

My wife picked one volume of this set for $2 at the Purple Heart thrift store last week. Might give that a try.
                Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                  My wife picked one volume of this set for $2 at the Purple Heart thrift store last week. Might give that a try.
                  Don't start the series with anything but the first book. You'll be hopelessly lost.
                  "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

And your point is? personally, I'm losing interest in a story that will require two more books and probably three to four more years to conclude.

He makes a living selling what he writes to customers; therefore, keeping customers happy is his primary goal in life. Meanwhile, he has already admitted in public interviews that he is bogged down in the mess that has now become both book VI and book VII because he packed so much needless stuff into V that he can't finish in one more book...and that, of course, sounds like a plan to force an extra book on the market.

If you take a look at the writing schedules of other successful authors who write monster tomes of hundreds of pages, you will find that Martin has fallen far behind where he should be.
                    No point really. I was merely correcting your assertions about Martin writing other books so don't get all pissy because you got your info wrong.

Writers have different writing styles and speed. Comparing them is nonsensical. There are authors that have taken a decade or more between books.As it stand there are two more volumes in the series and Martin has stuck to that number as of late. The way the plot has gone thus far seems to indicate that the series is close to it's end. The title of the projected last book, A Dream of Spring,looks to support this.
                    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                      No point really. I was merely correcting your assertions about Martin writing other books so don't get all pissy because you got your info wrong.

Writers have different writing styles and speed. Comparing them is nonsensical. There are authors that have taken a decade or more between books.As it stand there are two more volumes in the series and Martin has stuck to that number as of late. The way the plot has gone thus far seems to indicate that the series is close to it's end. The title of the projected last book, A Dream of Spring,looks to support this.
                      Not an assertion. Fact according to Barnes and Noble. They're in the book business, so I'll take their word over yours every time.

As for "pissy"...looks like you would know.

Comment

If you lived out here, I would loan you my copies.
                        Thanks, but that's a long drive, especially nowadays.

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                        The boxed set was sold at a Flea Market for 15$ a few hours before I got there.... grrrrrr!
                        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X