The Game of Thrones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Game of Thrones

I searched, and was surprised that this one had no been made into a thread yet.

Home sick again (if I'm dying, I wish it would just hurry up and happen) so I rented the whole 1st season. I had avoided it because I thought it would be another re-play of Britain from 1,000 years ago, but it's much more than that.

Despite the highly realistic look of the whole thing, its made up from whole cloth, the world and all. The thing is about as complex as you could want, and only promises to get more so after these 10 episodes, despite the deaths of many major characters.

Yes, its a show of political intrigue revolving around who gets to sit on the Throne of a large land, but its spiced up by excellent acting, story-telling and by two outside threats that seem certain to crush the Kingdom between the two of them.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Ah, I see....
    Why didn't the Search show me any of that? Used all the appropriate words and everything.

Anyhow, I guess discussion of season One is kinda obsolete, but I don't have HBO (never cared for it, overall) and the 2nd season won't come out on disk for a few more weeks.

Did take a sneek peak at a few things, and damn this thing just keeps getting better and better!
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
      Ah, I see....
      Why didn't the Search show me any of that? Used all the appropriate words and everything.

Anyhow, I guess discussion of season One is kinda obsolete, but I don't have HBO (never cared for it, overall) and the 2nd season won't come out on disk for a few more weeks.

Did take a sneek peak at a few things, and damn this thing just keeps getting better and better!
      Yes, its excellent so far.

By the way, you're aware of the series of books by George R. R. Martin that the show is based on?
      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
        By the way, you're aware of the series of books by George R. R. Martin that the show is based on?
        Nope, never heard of them.
        I used to devour books like that, but over the last decade I became bored with the genre' and all the repetitive crap that has been produced.
        Epic fantasy has become an epic bore.

I also blew this series off at first glance because I thought it was another version of The Tudors, set in an earlier century. I wonder how many other late-comers thought the same thing.

Some thoughts about 1st season while it's fresh, and season 2 is still on it's way;
        -Yeah, I know Sean Bean dies in all his movies, and they have to go by the books so it ain't just shock-value this time... but Ned Stark was THE central character and when they separated his head from his body the storylines became hopelessly sepperated for me.
        "King" Geoffrey is almost comically cruel, its as if he's already insane and we are being prepped for the day when his skull simply melts from all the maddness and evil swirling around in there.
        -Bad as loosing Stark was, Drogo's early loss was just confusing. Apparently necessary, for now we have Dragons, but how much good will pint-sized monsters be for poor Dani?
        -I think they may have over-emphasized the neglect of the Wall, unless the books did so as well. IMHO, that was always going to be the most crucial place, what with the constant "Winter is coming" reminders.
        And now, here it comes...

My basic view of it is this "Kingdom" is in the process of wrecking itself just in time for these Wendigos to come down with legions of undead. By the time they realize what is happening (after all the usual denial) they won't be able to save the wall or maybe even Winterfell.
        Dragon-mother will have to come, not as a conqueror, but as the only thing that can save the Realm. And... being the one best suited to rule, she will probably be killed saving the place, leaving venal and lesser beings to go back to squabbling over that ugly chair once its all over.
        Or, maybe not...
        ... but as long as the Dwarf is around, it's bound to be interesting.

That's my take on it.
        I'll be back once I have seen season 2.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Nope, never heard of them.
          I used to devour books like that, but over the last decade I became bored with the genre' and all the repetitive crap that has been produced.
          Epic fantasy has become an epic bore.

I also blew this series off at first glance because I thought it was another version of The Tudors, set in an earlier century. I wonder how many other late-comers thought the same thing.

Some thoughts about 1st season while it's fresh, and season 2 is still on it's way;
          -Yeah, I know Sean Bean dies in all his movies, and they have to go by the books so it ain't just shock-value this time... but Ned Stark was THE central character and when they separated his head from his body the storylines became hopelessly sepperated for me.
          "King" Geoffrey is almost comically cruel, its as if he's already insane and we are being prepped for the day when his skull simply melts from all the maddness and evil swirling around in there.
          -Bad as loosing Stark was, Drogo's early loss was just confusing. Apparently necessary, for now we have Dragons, but how much good will pint-sized monsters be for poor Dani?
          -I think they may have over-emphasized the neglect of the Wall, unless the books did so as well. IMHO, that was always going to be the most crucial place, what with the constant "Winter is coming" reminders.
          And now, here it comes...

My basic view of it is this "Kingdom" is in the process of wrecking itself just in time for these Wendigos to come down with legions of undead. By the time they realize what is happening (after all the usual denial) they won't be able to save the wall or maybe even Winterfell.
          Dragon-mother will have to come, not as a conqueror, but as the only thing that can save the Realm. And... being the one best suited to rule, she will probably be killed saving the place, leaving venal and lesser beings to go back to squabbling over that ugly chair once its all over.
          Or, maybe not...
          ... but as long as the Dwarf is around, it's bound to be interesting.

That's my take on it.
          I'll be back once I have seen season 2.
          About 2 weeks & Season 2 hits DVD.
          The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

I'm just waiting patiently for season 3 to begin...
            "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

My main problem is George Martin is avoiding writing Book 6! I also wonder if any of the original characters survive to the end?

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I read the first book and it was way better than the hbo series...
                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Most large books are better than the series/movie. It allows your mind to create your own fantasy.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                    Only about 7 weeks to go.

Till then Walking Dead will have to do since it starts back up tomorrow night.
                    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
                      About 2 weeks & Season 2 hits DVD.
                      That's what I'm waiting for. Only 2 weeks? Awesome!
                      Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                      And when does that start?
                      Might have to get hooked up again, and get HBO this time.

I said Wendigo when I should have said White Walker, but the similarities are striking.
                      The key location, its' gotta be that damn wall...
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I searched, and was surprised that this one had no been made into a thread yet.

Home sick again (if I'm dying, I wish it would just hurry up and happen) so I rented the whole 1st season. I had avoided it because I thought it would be another re-play of Britain from 1,000 years ago, but it's much more than that.

Despite the highly realistic look of the whole thing, its made up from whole cloth, the world and all. The thing is about as complex as you could want, and only promises to get more so after these 10 episodes, despite the deaths of many major characters.

Yes, its a show of political intrigue revolving around who gets to sit on the Throne of a large land, but its spiced up by excellent acting, story-telling and by two outside threats that seem certain to crush the Kingdom between the two of them.
                        It was a thread in the past when the first season began.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                          My main problem is George Martin is avoiding writing Book 6! I also wonder if any of the original characters survive to the end?

Pruitt
                          Martin is going to lose his audience if he isn't careful. I suspect he can't figure out how to end it. Certainly the last two books in the series to date are a mishmash of meaningless character threads that have little or nothing to do with the actual "game of Thrones" itself.

Personally, I'm rooting for either Tyrion Lannister or Danerys Targerion as the final winner of the Iron Throne. Best solution - Targerion takes the throne with Tyrion Lannister as the Hand.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
                            I cant even remeber which book i read if it was four or five last. Took years just to get the last book out.

Think the tv series would have to run ten years to do the series justice..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X