The Horse Soldiers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redding View Post
    I have to agree. Wayne was the ultimate cowboy, but when he appeared in military-themed movies he was out of his element.
    I have the other view.

I think he makes a horrible, completely unrealistic cowboy.
    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
      Actually the Duke hated horses. Couldn't stand their smell.
      Well, in that case, he's an idiot in becoming a cowboy and making western movies. Hope he was kicked by a horse during his lifetime. Roy Rogers was the better man.

Comment

Yes, Trigger was Roy Rogers horse not the Dukes. The horse made his movie debut as Maid Marians mount in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, his name then was Golden Cloud. He was not “stuffed” - his skin was put on a plaster body.

Also “…Civil Wars” is plural - I think we had only one of those and it is not universally called by that name.

I don’t know about the Duke not liking horses - that is the first I’ve heard of it. I know he had horses and rode his own in more than one movie.

It irritates me when people get gushy over animals especially when they attribute human actions to them.

The over romanticizing of the “Wild Mustang” is a good example. These animals are not natural (native) the N. America and, over the years, have cause a great deal of damage to native species and the environment.

And don’t think I don’t love my pets - over the years I’ve cared for dozens of cats, dogs and various wildlife that had come on to my property. I won’t let an animal starve of be neglected. The three dogs I now live with (all somebody’s rejects) are spoiled completely.

But they are not HUMAN.

Comment

To some it was called 'The War Between The States.' Also, Wayne made military films for a long while, including The Green Berets, cause he felt it was his duty to keep up 'morale.' And because he was classified where he couldn't go into battle, one for a bad back, two cause he had a family. I believe the studios kept him out of the war, to keep Germany or Japan from kidnapping him.
          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Also, Wayne and former silent Western actor Yakima Canutt perfected the stunts later used by MANY movie actors from the 1930's-onward. Yakima Canutt was once called 'The World's Best Stuntman.' He and Wayne came up with ways many would not be hurt. Canutt also was assistant director on several of Wayne's films, and he continued stunt coordinating til his passing.
            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

He was not “stuffed” - his skin was put on a plaster body.
              That is called 'Stuffed'. 'Taxidermy' literally does not mean stuffed with soft light materials, otherwise the frame of the dead animal will not stand up. The hard mounted fake horse statue acts like the animals skeleton. The horse was stuffed just like the famous Aussie horse pharlap and many more animals.

I believe the studios kept him out of the war, to keep Germany or Japan from kidnapping him.
              What good will that do for Germany and Japan? hold US to ransom? One man is worth a whole nation!?

Comment

Come on guys everybody knows that The Barbarian is the Dukes greatest film........

The Searchers,Red River,El Dorado are my favorite Duke films. The rest are hit and miss. The Searchers is in my top ten favorite films.
                If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                  The Horse Soldiers

lots of horses here -

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                    Come on guys everybody knows that The Barbarian is the Dukes greatest film........

The Searchers,Red River,El Dorado are my favorite Duke films. The rest are hit and miss. The Searchers is in my top ten favorite films.
                    Red River is another good one I forgot about.
                    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by redding View Post
                      I have to agree. Wayne was the ultimate cowboy, but when he appeared in military-themed movies he was out of his element.
                      I don't want to turn this into a Put the boots into the Duke session but McQ was an absolute shocker, everythin about this film was pointing towards an attempt to jump on the coat-tails of both Dirty Harry and Bullitt. The final beach shootout is just unexciting to say the least, he might as well be using Han Solos Blaster the way he wipes out Bad Guys with ease.

True Grit on the other hand is good enough for me.

And I had always heard it said that Wayne was a poor horseman, not a sack of potatoes in the saddle, just not an instinctive horseman.
                      One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
                      Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X