Life of Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
    I couldn't imagine how a film about a boy alone in a lifeboat with a tiger could be interesting. But Number Two Son bought me the DVD and it was............astonishing!

I've never seen cinematography like that. It has to win the Oscar for best special effects this year! They were awesome! Even in 2D. I'd guess they could be almost overwhelming in 3D.

Still trying to get my head around the ending though. It will make you believe in God they said? Both parties chose the more unbelievable of the two narratives of essentially the same events. And the main character says,

"So it is with God."
    The cinematography was superb. The early movie interesting, the boat part different, and the ending just OK.

He did and witnessed horrible things on that boat and was forced to confront the beast inside him, a beast that left when he was rescued. So he rationalised it into a story that meant that he could deny that evil and depravity lived inside him.

Aren't we all happier not acknowledging that?

3 and a bit out of 5
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
      He did and witnessed horrible things on that boat and was forced to confront the beast inside him, a beast that left when he was rescued. So he rationalised it into a story that meant that he could deny that evil and depravity lived inside him.

Interesting.

So you take it that the second story he told was the reality of what happened. The first story (the body of the film) was his way of dealing with that reality?

That works for me, but it takes us once again into the 'tooth fairy' scenario, and does nothing to encourage our belief in God claimed by the character who introduced the story.

Philip
      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

I couldn't imagine how a film about a boy alone in a lifeboat with a tiger could be interesting. But Number Two Son bought me the DVD and it was............astonishing!

I've never seen cinematography like that. It has to win the Oscar for best special effects this year! They were awesome! Even in 2D. I'd guess they could be almost overwhelming in 3D.

Still trying to get my head around the ending though. It will make you believe in God they said? Both parties chose the more unbelievable of the two narratives of essentially the same events. And the main character says,

"So it is with God."

Philip
        The DVD???

The movie is still in theaters.

Arrr matey!

A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Interesting.

So you take it that the second story he told was the reality of what happened. The first story (the body of the film) was his way of dealing with that reality?

That works for me, but it takes us once again into the 'tooth fairy' scenario, and does nothing to encourage our belief in God claimed by the character who introduced the story.

Philip
          I do.

I figured the God bit might have had something to do with his ability to forgive himself and move on at peace with the world. Acceptance maybe. Or possibly it was just the survival against all odds part of it.

I'm clutching straws here though. I didn't feel that it was a God-ish movie. To me it was a quirky and odd story of life.
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
            The DVD???

The movie is still in theaters.

Arrr matey!

Even buying a pirated DVD was quite unusual for Number Two Son - he usually pirates them himself directly off the internet for free. In this case, he says it hasn't been up on the web long enough to garner the 'quality' it needs to be worthwhile downloading.

Something like that.

However, his activities mean that once he gets me Argo, I'll have seen all the movies nominated for best picture this year. Maybe we should have our own poll. Have others here seen all the nominated movies?

Philip
            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Just got done watching it. Story was.....interesting. Kind of odd. The sea adventure plot was interesting enough until it turned psychedelic. The tiger must have had his fish laced with LSD before he went stargazing. I was thinking Hendrix music when they had that underwater montage.
              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                The cinematography was superb. The early movie interesting, the boat part different, and the ending just OK.

3 and a bit out of 5
                You're a more abstract thinker than I am.

I just figured he was going nuts.

Since the sea part starts out rational and real with Pi objectively trying to solve problems and from there gets psychedelic I figured Pi was just going crazy from a combination of starvation exposure and PTSD. All three of which can cause some serious hallucinations by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                  You're a more abstract thinker than I am.

I just figured he was going nuts.

Since the sea part starts out rational and real with Pi objectively trying to solve problems and from there gets psychedelic I figured Pi was just going crazy from a combination of starvation exposure and PTSD. All three of which can cause some serious hallucinations by themselves.
                  The final scenes of the film present the explanation. They posit that you can 'choose' a reality of past events that you find most satisfying. That is:

1. the 'reality' of the brutal happenings on the lifeboat undertaken by humans,

or

2. the more attractive, 'reality' of the psychedelic events experienced by the narrator and the imaginary animals on the boat.

In the conclusion, both the narrator and the Japanese experts decided to choose the 'reality' of the psychedelic, more attractive and pleasing, recounting. Thus indicating, they propose, that since reality is subjective, you might as well choose the one you find most attractive and pleasing.

Haven't you chosen to accept the 'reality' you find to be most attractive and pleasing from the various alternatives with which you have been presented?

Philip
                  Last edited by PhilipLaos; 26 Mar 13, 02:59.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X