Life of Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life of Pi

I am off later to see the film Life of Pi with my children. It has received great reviews in Britain, and friend have said it is the film which has used 3D to better than any other. I will report on my views however it many be a few days as my children are likely to hog the computer. So please feel free if you have seen the film to express your comments.
    War is less costly than servitude

I was urged to see this because "It will prove to you there really is a God."
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

This looks like one of those where I might be better off sticking to the book.
      "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
        I was urged to see this because "It will prove to you there really is a God."
        Why! Does he make an appearance?

Paul
        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
        All human ills he can subdue,
        Or with a bauble or medal
        Can win mans heart for you;
        And many a blessing know to stew
        To make a megloamaniac bright;
        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

I have seen Life of Pi with my children. It is a good family film, well directed (not surprisingly) and well acted. The use of 3D in the film is some of the best I have seen, this is one of the few films that you would miss out on seeing in 2D. For a PG film there was some good shocks, the film is not afraid of showing nature red in tooth and claw. It has a clever ending. However it does not prove there is a God, indeed in metaphyisical terms it does not do as well as the book. However for parents who want to see a film with your teens, it is a good choice that both you and they will enjoy.
          War is less costly than servitude

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
            Why! Does he make an appearance?

Paul
            He did to my cousins I guess. I didn't see him.
            Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
            Hyperwar, Whats New
            World War II Resources
            The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

My mother hated it and I had no intentions of seeing this movie. Looks boring too me and my mother said the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by firefoxy View Post
                My mother hated it and I had no intentions of seeing this movie. Looks boring too me and my mother said the same thing.
                Took my kids over the holidays and they and I enjoyed it.

each to his own I suppose.

I saw it in 2D (not shown in 3D at 'our' cinema) but you can see it was designed for 3D.
                Cymru am Byth

Comment

Yes, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

yeah, I heard 'life of pi' were made for 3D. I prefer 2D movies myself. Though, many recent movies were made for both 2D / 3D, don't know why 'Life of pi' was not?

Comment

Yes, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

yeah, I heard 'life of pi' were made for 3D. I prefer 2D movies myself. Though, many recent movies were made for both 2D / 3D, don't know why 'Life of pi' was not?
                    I have a new 'smart' TV that has a 3D function, if I buy a movie on DVD say Life of Pi when it is released do I have to buy a 'special version' to watch in 3D of will the standard one do? -- with the glasses of course.
                    Cymru am Byth

Comment

I do know, with normal 2D flat screen televisions you need to buy the 3D version. I dunno with your case.

How come you never asked this question when you purchase the television?

Comment

I do know, with normal 2D flat screen televisions you need to buy the 3D version. I dunno with your case.

How come you never asked this question when you purchase the television?
                        I'm married with kids you think I get a choice in these things?!!!!

I just agree and hand over the money like a good Dad.

I don't even watch it that much, I sneak off to the old TV in a backroom to watch the rugby while the 'girls' watch their crappy soaps on a all singing new smart TV.
                        Cymru am Byth

Comment

It's time to lay down the law.

Comment

However it does not prove there is a God, indeed in metaphyisical terms it does not do as well as the book.
                            Well heck, thanks for spoiling it for me.
                            I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

I couldn't imagine how a film about a boy alone in a lifeboat with a tiger could be interesting. But Number Two Son bought me the DVD and it was............astonishing!

I've never seen cinematography like that. It has to win the Oscar for best special effects this year! They were awesome! Even in 2D. I'd guess they could be almost overwhelming in 3D.

Still trying to get my head around the ending though. It will make you believe in God they said? Both parties chose the more unbelievable of the two narratives of essentially the same events. And the main character says,

"So it is with God."

Philip
                              "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X