Charles Durning and Jack Klugman Both Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Durning and Jack Klugman Both Dead

We have lost two more of the old school of fine actors. Jack Klugman who was part of the Odd Couple with Tony Randall, and Charles Durning, the always-conniving bad guy in so many films, and a good guy in others as well.

RIP.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

And Fontella Bass, vocalist. Uncle John said someone else did too, besides Harry Carey, Jr. I can't remember.
    Durning was awarded several medals for WWII.
    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
      And Fontella Bass, vocalist. Uncle John said someone else did too, besides Harry Carey, Jr. I can't remember.
      Durning to my knowledge was the only soldier to survive landing at Omaha Beach on D-Day AND the Maelmedy Massacre. Talk about being a lucky bastard.
      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
        Durning to my knowledge was the only soldier to survive landing at Omaha Beach on D-Day AND the Maelmedy Massacre. Talk about being a lucky bastard.
        I'm pretty sure Durning wasn't at Malmedy.

I believe Durning served in the 1st Infantry Division as an Infantryman.

The unit massacred at Malmedy was a field artillery unit from the 7th Armored Division.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malmedy_massacre
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
          Claimed the Silver Star but his name doesn't show up on the list of Sliver Star awards.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/members/...my/Army-D.html
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
            His military service leaves a lot of questions. Still 3 PH is more than I care to ever have.

RIP Charles
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
              I'm pretty sure Durning wasn't at Malmedy.

I believe Durning served in the 1st Infantry Division as an Infantryman.

The unit massacred at Malmedy was a field artillery unit from the 7th Armored Division.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malmedy_massacre
              I can't remember which History/Military channel show it was but it claimed that Durning was at Malmedy and if were using wiki as a source I'll cite this from his bio...

Durning served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Drafted at age 21, he was first assigned as a rifleman with the 398th Infantry Regiment, and later served overseas with the 3rd Army Support troops and the 386th Anti-aircraft Artillery (AAA) Battalion.

Durning participated in the Normandy Invasion of France on D-Day, June 6, 1944, and was among the first troops to land at Omaha Beach. In episode "S03E09" of the television program Dinner for Five, which also included Burt Reynolds, Dom DeLuise and Charles Nelson Reilly, Reynolds spoke about Durning's service career for him, as Durning did not like to talk about it much. Reynolds revealed that Durning was in a group of gliders who overshot their landing zone and that he had to fight alone all the way back to the beach. Reynolds also stated that his own father was there fighting about 15 yards away and that Durning was probably the most decorated veteran (then) still alive from World War II.[11] Some sources state that he was with the 1st Infantry Division at the time,[12] but it is unclear if he served as a rifleman or as a member of one of the division's artillery battalions.

Durning was wounded by a German “S” Mine on June 15, 1944 at La Mare des Mares, Normandy. He was transported to the 24th Evacuation Hospital and by June 17 he was in England at the 217th General Hospital. He was severely wounded by shrapnel in the left and right thighs, the right hand, the frontal head region, and the anterior left chest wall. Durning recovered quickly and was determined to be fit for duty on December 6, 1944. He arrived back at the front in time to take part in the Battle of the Bulge, the German counter-offensive through the Ardennes Forest of Belgium and Luxembourg in December 1944.[13][14] Subsequently, Durning was at one point captured by the Germans and reportedly narrowly escaped a massacre of prisoners.[15] (Whether this was the famed Malmedy massacre is a matter of dispute, since no official record of Durning's name associated with the massacre has been found, and Durning himself did not publicly claim to have been there.)

After being wounded again, this time in the chest, Durning was returned to the United States. He remained in Army hospitals until being discharged with the rank of Private First Class on January 30, 1946.

Durning was known for participating in various functions to honor American veterans. He was the chairman one year of the U.S. National Salute to Hospitalized Veterans.[16] He was an honored guest speaker at the National Memorial Day Concert for many years, televised by PBS every year on the Sunday evening of Memorial Day weekend.

For his valor and the wounds he received during the war, Durning was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and three Purple Heart medals.[17] Additional awards include the World War II Victory Medal.[18]

In April 2008 Durning received the National Order of the Legion of Honor from the French consul in Los Angeles, awarded to those who served with distinction in France. During the ceremony, Durning spoke about his wartime experiences.[19]
              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

If it is true, all I can say is WOW and Thank you.
                This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                  Klaudia Tanner
                  by casanova
                  During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                  Yesterday, 23:56
                • Karri
                  Doom Patrol
                  by Karri
                  Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                  Yesterday, 23:55
                • Nikki
                  Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                  by Nikki
                  Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                  Yesterday, 23:03
                Working...
                X