Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was there ever a movie that was totally realistic and perfectly balanced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was there ever a movie that was totally realistic and perfectly balanced?

I decided to start a new thread based on an exchange with Shaa. Here was some of the conversation:

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
    The sequence is pretty absurd, much like the rest of the movie. It was produced by the government-owned 1st TV Channel as series and a movie for 2 purposes: a chick flick in dramatic historical settings and a pro-White Civil War movie. Here the Whites are all fair elves and the Reds are, quite predictably, evil orcs.

The film itself is so chock full of historical errors there's barely a second without them. In regard to this scene, one can start with the fact that while this batle is supposedly taking place in 1916, the armoured cruiser "Friedrich Carl" sank in 1914 after hitting two Russian mines.
    Originally posted by ShAA View Post
    Yeah, it must be really worth fighting for the historical truth only to have the same thing repainted from white to black
    Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
    It's a MOVIE. All movies are biased. Star Wars is biased against the Galactic Empire. Kingdom of Heaven is biased against the Knights Templar. Valhalla Rising is biased against plot.

No movie is going to be perfect, least of all perfect in the eyes of everyone. Because we humans tell stories of good and bad there will be heroes and villains. And someone's going to get a hatchet job.

The best hope for balance is when both sides get to shoot out their propaganda. But no movie is absolutely true to reality. I mean if the Hollywood version of LA were true the real LA would be full of drug gangs, bank robbery, ethnic hatred, drug use.......

Okay, if the Hollywood version of New England was correct they'd be full of vampires.

But seriously, maybe we have a difference in culture. Americans don't take movies 100% seriously. We expect there will be flaws and inaccuracies.

And as for technical inaccuracies, watch Master and Commander. See two ships meet head on with sails both full of wind blowing from astern or watch a battle that would have taken hours get resolved in a few exchanges. And this was one of the more realistic versions. Technical inaccuracies go without saying.

But give me a Russian film that portrays your own culture 100% spot on. Cause I sure couldn't give you an American film I couldn't pick apart in ten seconds.

That's just movies. It's not an education, it's entertainment.
    Am I wrong? Could there be movies which are balanced and technically realistic?

If so I would enjoy hearing about them.

When it comes to technical accuracy I have but two nominations in the western category. Shane and The Assassination of Jesse James both get points for A. Recognizing that the Wild West wasn't all desert and B. never exceeding the capacity of a six shot revolver oh and C. recognizing that gun battles didn't occur all the time.

But any other movie nominations for good technical accuracy or balanced coverage of opposing factions?
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

But any other movie nominations for good technical accuracy....
    Well, a short one...

Comment

Probably not, but there are limits.

Films like, 'Braveheart,' 'The Patriot,' '300,' 'Pearl Harbor,' (They can't even spell, 'Harbour.') and, 'U-571,' tend to play fast-and-loose with historical accuracy as well as insulting those who took part in the real events.

History sometimes is tweaked a bit so that people will pay to see the film, but outright lies aren't much fun.
      Last edited by the ace; 11 Dec 12, 17:41.
      Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

German Stalingrad seems pretty well balanced in terms of historical accuracy.
        There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
          Probably not, but there are limits.

Films like, 'Braveheart,' 'The Patriot,' '300,' 'Pearl Harbor,' (They can't even spell, 'Harbour.') and, 'U-501,' tend to play fast-and-loose with historical accuracy as well as insulting those who took part in the real events.

History sometimes is tweaked a bit so that people will pay to see the film, but outright lies aren't much fun.
          Yeah Pearl Harbor was a war crime by itself.
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

The film that comes close is

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Yeah Pearl Harbor was a war crime by itself.
              Do you what to say that once more? Bad is totally different. Horrible might be close. Dang if that wasn't ahhh poorly done.

Comment

I decided to start a new thread based on an exchange with Shaa. Here was some of the conversation:

Am I wrong? Could there be movies which are balanced and technically realistic?

If so I would enjoy hearing about them.

When it comes to technical accuracy I have but two nominations in the western category. Shane and The Assassination of Jesse James both get points for A. Recognizing that the Wild West wasn't all desert and B. never exceeding the capacity of a six shot revolver oh and C. recognizing that gun battles didn't occur all the time.

But any other movie nominations for good technical accuracy or balanced coverage of opposing factions?
                Das Boot

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                  Das Boot
                  I also nominate Das Boot.
                  Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                    Well, a short one...
                    I'll see your Entabulator and raise you a Retro-Encabulator

Comment

Andy Warhol did a movie that was 100% realistic and accurate. It was called "Sleep". It was eight hours of a man sleeping in a bed.
                      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                      Hyperwar, Whats New
                      World War II Resources
                      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
                        I also nominate Das Boot.
                        I never served on a German U Boot in WWII so I'll not comment on how realistic it was or wasn't. For all you vets of the KM, continue.

Comment

I nominate Mel Brooks' History of the World for historical accuracy:

Comment

Clint Eastwoods Unforgiven.

I almost said Restrepo but that's a documentary.

Comment

Big mammas house

Or have i taken the wrong meds again?

... .... .. -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X