No announcement yet.

Sweet WWI Naval Engagement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean if the Hollywood version of LA were true the real LA would be full of drug gangs, bank robbery, ethnic hatred, drug use.......
    It's not true ?
    There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post
      It's not true ?
      Look at my emoticon; I was being funny.

Or trying to be.
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
        It's a MOVIE. All movies are biased. Star Wars is biased against the Galactic Empire. Kingdom of Heaven is biased against the Knights Templar. Valhalla Rising is biased against plot.

No movie is going to be perfect, least of all perfect in the eyes of everyone. Because we humans tell stories of good and bad there will be heroes and villains. And someone's going to get a hatchet job.

The best hope for balance is when both sides get to shoot out their propaganda. But no movie is absolutely true to reality. I mean if the Hollywood version of LA were true the real LA would be full of drug gangs, bank robbery, ethnic hatred, drug use.......

Okay, if the Hollywood version of New England was correct they'd be full of vampires.

But seriously, maybe we have a difference in culture. Americans don't take movies 100% seriously. We expect there will be flaws and inaccuracies.

And as for technical inaccuracies, watch Master and Commander. See two ships meet head on with sails both full of wind blowing from astern or watch a battle that would have taken hours get resolved in a few exchanges. And this was one of the more realistic versions. Technical inaccuracies go without saying.
        You seem to be missing the point by a long shot. We're not talking of imaginary galaxies and worlds. It's a very divisive and controversial topic in Russia, and it matters a lothow fairly and objectively it is covered. You have lots of people on this forum and elsewhere arguing about the American Civil War which was far less dramatic and bloody than what happened in Russia in 1918 and further on. I'm sure there are more examples when movies caused public outrage in the States and people even came out on demonstrations against them. So far nothing of the sort happened here, but I hope you can understand what I'm talking about.

But give me a Russian film that portrays your own culture 100% spot on. Cause I sure couldn't give you an American film I couldn't pick apart in ten seconds.

That's just movies. It's not an education, it's entertainment.
        That's a very simplistic view of movies, which were used for propaganda already since the 1920s. I suppose the "Jew Suss" movie is also just entertainment.

As for the film about modern Russia, you can try the recent "Elena", although it focuses on the negative. I've watched it myself and I've heard many people say it is very true to life. It's interesting that originally the script was written for Britain, but for a number of reasons the movie was shot in Moscow. I have to warn you though it pretty much follows the European auteur cinema tradition, so it's nothing like the Hollywood stuff
        www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          The destroyer captain's best option when so badly over matched was to stay bow on to the enemy, making himself a smaller target and restricting enemy fire to the forward turret in return.

To launch torpedoes, he would have to turn to unmask his tubes, presenting a much larger broadside target. He would also have had to turn in order to unmask his aft gun.

* Just for the record, during WWII the British destroyer Glowworm managed to ram and severely damage the German battleship Admiral Hipper during a engagement. The captain, a mere Lieutenant, won what is probably one of the most unique Victoria Crosses in history, since it was recommended by the enemy captain.
          http://www.squidoo.com/hms-glowworm
          Thanks, I always thought a destroyer could launch its torpedoes with bow facing the enemy. However looking at a picture of one it looks like the tubes were mid ships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HMS_Veteran_model.jpg
          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
            Thanks, I always thought a destroyer could launch its torpedoes with bow facing the enemy. However looking at a picture of one it looks like the tubes were mid ships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HMS_Veteran_model.jpg
            This destroyer was fleeing from the bigger ship. Also, it didn't look like it had torpedo tubes as it had been equipped for mine laying. (Evident in the later posting of the movie.) Turning broadside would have made them a bigger target. Their hope was to try to outrun the German ship. When they couldn't, they ran through the mine field hoping their shallower draft would allow them to pass over the mines they set at 7 meters depth while taking out the deeper draft perusing German cruiser.
            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X