Sweet WWI Naval Engagement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet WWI Naval Engagement!

I bought the movie Admiral, a rather interesting Russian film. And actually a miniseries! (I wish the world cinema would stop assuming all Americans have the attention span of gnats and compressing their films. Give us the whole thing, dammit! Jersey Shore doesn't speak for all of us.)

The movie is worth buying even though it moves at a frantic pace on account of being edited. And it has a great naval battle sequence!

A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Terrific action sequence! If only it had subtitles...

WWI naval engagements have largely been neglected by the film industries, but CGI may change all of that.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Fasted paced maybe but after the first two minutes it seems totally unreal. The Russians are taking fire before they go to battle stations, the Cpt. shows NO emotions either positive or negative. Sailors running around with serious burns without pain. GET REAL.

Do I have to watch the rest to change my opinion?
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Then it gets worse. While under fire they hold a staff meeting and a prayer service. Even when the bad guy hits the mine, no noticeable change in the Cpt, not even a trace of a smile.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Terrific action sequence! If only it had subtitles...

WWI naval engagements have largely been neglected by the film industries, but CGI may change all of that.
          Amazon has a few copies. Those DO have subtitles.
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Fasted paced maybe but after the first two minutes it seems totally unreal. The Russians are taking fire before they go to battle stations, the Cpt. shows NO emotions either positive or negative. Sailors running around with serious burns without pain. GET REAL.

Do I have to watch the rest to change my opinion?
            Yeah I noticed them clearing for action AFTER they were in danger. But since when is any movie perfect? The skipper does act rather deadpan but I think the intent was to portray him as cool under pressure. The film is about Admiral Kolchak, who lead the White Army. I think they were aiming to portray him as a stoic badass. It may not have come off that way, but that was the aim.

For the record, Yamamoto isn't portrayed showing a whole lot of emotion in Tora Tora Tora either. Even less in Midway. Stoic badass is a popular personality in filmmaking.

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Then it gets worse. While under fire they hold a staff meeting and a prayer service. Even when the bad guy hits the mine, no noticeable change in the Cpt, not even a trace of a smile.
            The prayer service was held because they were performing what the movie presents as a hail mary tactic of driving through their own mine field to shake off the pursuer. Because the prospect of survival seemed slim they decided to hit knees and pray it worked. Realistic for the military? Maybe not. But there is the context since there were no subtitles. Give me one military movie that is totally realistic.

I liked it. I go for period pieces and this one delivers. And in an age where Hollywood tries to shoehorn religion out or portray it in negative light, Moscowwood can shoehorn it back in with my blessing.

Oh and the battle tally for those curious is 2 navy battle scenes (1 being an offshore bombardment), 1 montage navy battle scene, 2 infantry battle scenes. So something for everyone!

Comment

The sequence is pretty absurd, much like the rest of the movie. It was produced by the government-owned 1st TV Channel as series and a movie for 2 purposes: a chick flick in dramatic historical settings and a pro-White Civil War movie. Here the Whites are all fair elves and the Reds are, quite predictably, evil orcs.

Here's this scene with English subs, by the way:

The film itself is so chock full of historical errors there's barely a second without them. In regard to this scene, one can start with the fact that while this batle is supposedly taking place in 1916, the armoured cruiser "Friedrich Carl" sank in 1914 after hitting two Russian mines. Here's an article which details all these inaccuracies, but the Google Translate can't cope with the oft-flowery and idiomatic language of the author.

As for the smiles - seriously, why are modern-day Americans so desperate to apply a late 1930s American fashion for smiles to all historical periods and all regions in the world? Relax, if somebody isn't smiling at you it doesn't mean he wants to kill you, or hates you to the bone or he's a stolid emotionless douchebag. Don't be racist, there are regions in the world outside of America where people are born without Ronald McDonald DNA sectors
              www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

It looks like the Russian ship is seriously over-matched - a destroyer? - versus a German cruiser.

As well as the irregularities already mentioned, surely the Russian would have attempted a torpedo attack on the cruiser?
                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                  It looks like the Russian ship is seriously over-matched - a destroyer? - versus a German cruiser.

As well as the irregularities already mentioned, surely the Russian would have attempted a torpedo attack on the cruiser?
                  Check out the damage it gets from 203mm shell hits
                  www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                    Amazon has a few copies. Those DO have subtitles.
                    Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

The destroyer captain's best option when so badly over matched was to stay bow on to the enemy, making himself a smaller target and restricting enemy fire to the forward turret in return.

To launch torpedoes, he would have to turn to unmask his tubes, presenting a much larger broadside target. He would also have had to turn in order to unmask his aft gun.

* Just for the record, during WWII the British destroyer Glowworm managed to ram and severely damage the German battleship Admiral Hipper during a engagement. The captain, a mere Lieutenant, won what is probably one of the most unique Victoria Crosses in history, since it was recommended by the enemy captain.
                      http://www.squidoo.com/hms-glowworm

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                        The sequence is pretty absurd, much like the rest of the movie. It was produced by the government-owned 1st TV Channel as series and a movie for 2 purposes: a chick flick in dramatic historical settings and a pro-White Civil War movie. Here the Whites are all fair elves and the Reds are, quite predictably, evil orcs.
                        Because we all know what great humanitarians the Reds were.......

Given the ridiculous number of propaganda pieces cranked out to make communism look awesome against us depraved capitalists, I think I'll give a pass if one Russian tv station makes one film bothering to make the White Army the good guys. A little diversity of opinion will be good for you.

Last edited by Pirateship1982; 10 Dec 12, 19:05.

Comment

Kick-a$$ action sequence! We need more films like this. Picture a film about the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, or Surigao Strait, with today's technology. WOW.
                          SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                            Because we all know what great humanitarians the Reds were.......

Given the ridiculous number of propaganda pieces cranked out to make communism look awesome against us depraved capitalists, I think I'll give a pass if one Russian tv station makes one film bothering to make the White Army the good guys. A little diversity of opinion will be good for you.

Yeah, it must be really worth fighting for the historical truth only to have the same thing repainted from white to black

By the way, Mosfilm offers many of its movies for free, with English subs and in reasonably good resolution. Here's the relatively recent film "Star" about the Great Patriotic War.

http://cinema.mosfilm.ru/Film.aspx?i...f-86a78567e91c
                            www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                              Yeah, it must be really worth fighting for the historical truth only to have the same thing repainted from white to black
                              It's a MOVIE. All movies are biased. Star Wars is biased against the Galactic Empire. Kingdom of Heaven is biased against the Knights Templar. Valhalla Rising is biased against plot.

No movie is going to be perfect, least of all perfect in the eyes of everyone. Because we humans tell stories of good and bad there will be heroes and villains. And someone's going to get a hatchet job.

The best hope for balance is when both sides get to shoot out their propaganda. But no movie is absolutely true to reality. I mean if the Hollywood version of LA were true the real LA would be full of drug gangs, bank robbery, ethnic hatred, drug use.......

Okay, if the Hollywood version of New England was correct they'd be full of vampires.

But seriously, maybe we have a difference in culture. Americans don't take movies 100% seriously. We expect there will be flaws and inaccuracies.

And as for technical inaccuracies, watch Master and Commander. See two ships meet head on with sails both full of wind blowing from astern or watch a battle that would have taken hours get resolved in a few exchanges. And this was one of the more realistic versions. Technical inaccuracies go without saying.

But give me a Russian film that portrays your own culture 100% spot on. Cause I sure couldn't give you an American film I couldn't pick apart in ten seconds.

That's just movies. It's not an education, it's entertainment.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X