Argo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argo

Saw this earlier in the week. Really enjoyed it. A bit like Charley Wilsons war but not as comdedic in tone. I thought they did the costumes and getting everything looking like the late 70's well. One thing though, it says in the film that the British and "Kiwi" embassies tured them away in an off hand manner. Apparently this has annoyed our ambassador at the time who said that isnt true that he sent them to the Canadians because they felt the Iranians would definitley find them with us because we were about as welcome as the clap in Tehran in that period too.

Early in the film, Affleck's character is briefed on developments by his CIA supervisor Jack O'Donnell, played by Bryan Cranston. He explains that the six US Embassy staff had escaped and been given refuge by the Canadians: "Brits turned them away, Kiwis turned them away."

But Mr Anders, 87, (the US consular officer hiding with his five colleagues) told The Sunday Telegraph: "That is absolutely incorrect, absolutely untrue. They made us very comfortable, the British were very helpful and they helped to move us around to different places after that too.

"If the Iranians were going to start looking for people they would probably look to the British. So it was too risky to stay and we moved on.

"They put their lives on the line for us. We were all at risk. I hope no one in Britain will be offended by what's said in the film. The British were good to us and we're forever grateful."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...s-in-Iran.html

If so that is unfair as it makes out that those people didn't care when they did. Otherwise this was an enjoyable film. It wouldn't have taken much to put the above in and quickly. Because some Americans will have watched that and gone oh that those limeys. Not the first time Hollywood does this to us but hey ho. Pity as it was a really good watch...
    Last edited by copenhagen; 16 Nov 12, 03:53.

No-one else seen this?

Comment

Copenhagen I have seen Argo last month. It certainly does have that Charlie Wilson' War vibe in Washington with Orwell 1984 thrown in when the action switches to Iran.

I am surprised that the plan worked. But as one person said "the best of a bad option".

I think the line The British and Kiwis wouldn't help was a plot device to keep the story moving. In real life I have nothing but respect for the Brits and Kiwis. It was just a chaotic time there.

It is an Oscar worthy film it will be going against Lincoln next year.

Comment

I saw it. It could have been much better with Alan Arkin and John Goodman in supporting roles. With Ben Affleck directing it came out as heavy and not so funny. Strangely enough, that also describes Affleck...

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          I saw it. It could have been much better with Alan Arkin and John Goodman in supporting roles. With Ben Affleck directing it came out as heavy and not so funny. Strangely enough, that also describes Affleck...

Pruitt
          Yeah I'd go along with that...

Comment

Originally posted by The last bullet View Post
            Copenhagen I have seen Argo last month. It certainly does have that Charlie Wilson' War vibe in Washington with Orwell 1984 thrown in when the action switches to Iran.

I am surprised that the plan worked. But as one person said "the best of a bad option".

I think the line The British and Kiwis wouldn't help was a plot device to keep the story moving. In real life I have nothing but respect for the Brits and Kiwis. It was just a chaotic time there.

It is an Oscar worthy film it will be going against Lincoln next year.
            The Oscars being what they are, Lincoln will win that one hands down...

Comment

Working...
            X