X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War Z Trailer Released

Looks different than the book.

Fast zombies.

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Now, now...this is an overly-PC world, remember? To make fast vampires and not make fast zombies would be discriminatory!
    SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Fast zombies is 28 days later. This is tsunami zombies.

It's not a supernatural or biological cause that created this zombie outbreak, it was an earthquake or an underwater volcanic eruption.

This may be a bad movie, or a good movie, but it will have absolutely nothing to do with the book except the title. Even the zombies are diferent.

Comment

Most of the trailer seems to revolve around Israel. Most of the soldiers on screen are IDF and Israeli border patrol.
        It's a shame most of their equipment is wrong...

Comment

This just looks straight out disappointing.

Taking a promising movie from a good and original book and turning it into a cliched action movie.

Maybe the trailers misleading, but I don't have much hope for it.
          You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
            Most of the trailer seems to revolve around Israel. Most of the soldiers on screen are IDF and Israeli border patrol.
            It's a shame most of their equipment is wrong...
            Have you read the book? Israel was one of the few nations that handled the zombie threat relatively effectively.

The movie trailer looks cool, but it seems like there is no solid connection to the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion40 View Post
              Have you read the book? Israel was one of the few nations that handled the zombie threat relatively effectively.

The movie trailer looks cool, but it seems like there is no solid connection to the book.
              He was just poking fun at their kit.

But yeah, the book shows the IDF taking care of business.

They've definitely strayed from the book but I'll watch anyway.

Walking Dead took liberties too. Sometimes the spinoff can still be good on it's own terms.
              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Doesn't look violent enough, and it needs more zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
                  This just looks straight out disappointing.

Taking a promising movie from a good and original book and turning it into a cliched action movie.

Maybe the trailers misleading, but I don't have much hope for it.
                  Complete agreement. They didn't need to change it at all. Hell, the book was tailor made for easy adaptation to the big screen. After all Max Brooks knows all about making movies. Severely disappointed in the trailer.
                  Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                    Complete agreement. They didn't need to change it at all. Hell, the book was tailor made for easy adaptation to the big screen. After all Max Brooks knows all about making movies. Severely disappointed in the trailer.
                    I dunno. So many divergent characters and backstories. Maybe a miniseries.

These days HBO does better book to movie than Hollywood.
                    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post

I could see that. But they could've pared the characters down to a few and still kept the gist of the book. That trailer looks nothing like what's in the book.

But the book would lend itself to easy screen adaptation. "The reporter is interviewing a survivor, the survivor starts to tell his/her story, dissolve into flashback sequence." Easily done.
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion40 View Post

What Pirateship said- the SAW was M249 instead of the IMI Negev, the Helo was wrong, everyone was hauling "long" M-16's, helmets scheme, fighting with berets all that and much more was way....way....off.

Also- in the book Israel played a somewhat minor role, the author also winked at how he sees Israeli diplomacy (realpolitik, he was way off...).

In the movie however, Israel seems to be in the center of events.

Nonetheless- I'm waiting for this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                          What Pirateship said- the SAW was M249 instead of the IMI Negev, the Helo was wrong, everyone was hauling "long" M-16's, helmets scheme, fighting with berets all that and much more was way....way....off.
                          Hollywood. They struggle to get their own military right at times, what do you expect with a foreign military? Just be glad their not showing IDF troops wearing the kippah and with full beards.
                          Last edited by Crackshot; 10 Nov 12, 03:23.
                          You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post

Agreed. I think World War Z, in the right hands, would make a good miniseries. It could have stayed faithful to the books and even expanded on the story. But even a two-hour movie could do justice to it.

I intend to see this movie, y'know, not judging a book by it's cover and all that - but it just looks...wrong. It would be a shame to see the movie lose what made the book original - the premise of a historian interviewing key players - in favor of Brad Pitt running around shooting zombies. Plus the whole 28 Days Later zombies.

I've read the original draft of the screenplay and it was good. Stayed true to the core of the book and even went further on the plot. But I fear it has been ditched for a quick action movie to cash in on The Walking Dead.

I could forgive some of these transgressions if the movie brought to life the book's fictional standard infantry rifle. I always imagined an SLR-esque rifle myself.

-- Ataturk

Comment

From wiki:

In January 2012, director Marc Forster and Paramount Pictures told the Los Angeles Times that they "each view World War Z as a trilogy that would have the grounded, gun-metal realism of Matt Damon's Jason Bourne series tethered to the unsettling end-times vibe of AMC's The Walking Dead".

As far as I can tell, they look to be ignoring the 'post war' angle. Instead our friend Mr Reporter looks to be travelling around during the crisis, which might be interesting. But we likely won't just get one film, so the trailer should probably be judged in that context. If my theory is right, then the much expanded role of Israel might allow for a decent ending and a launch point for the next film.

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
                              I could forgive some of these transgressions if the movie brought to life the book's fictional standard infantry rifle. I always imagined an SLR-esque rifle myself.
                              Probably won't be around until late in the second, or the third movie.
                              Diadochi Rising Wargame:
                              King Pairisades I of the Bosporan Kingdom

Comment

Working...
                              X