No announcement yet.

Disney Buying Lucasfilm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best thing for the Star Wars franchise would be if they made Episodes VII, VIII, & IX based on Timothy Zahn's trilogy with Grand Admiral Thrawn. I could see Russell Crowe playing Talon Karrde, but my original choice for Thrawn (Anthony Hopkins) is kinda old...maybe Alan Rickman? Anyone got any ideas on who could play who nowadays?

-Matt
    SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Well, Lucas has already created the stories he wants made into the next trilogy. And I do recall him claiming that the real follow up stories for the original trilogy will be his ideas alone and not anyone else's. That was when the Thrawn trilogy first came out so don't ask me for a specific source. It was a written interview with Lucas himself.

And he has incorporated a little bit of EU into his movies in the past.

Sony has Spider-Man but Disney had their fingers all over that. They had direct input into the production of it. Not quite as much as a Disney movie, but they were involved. And again, I didn't and won't say whether it was a good or bad Spider-man movie.

Maybe Disney will start meddling with the next phase of Avengers, maybe not. I hope they stay the course though and not meddle because the first phase of the Avengers was outstanding (sorry, the topic isn't about the Avengers).
      The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Legatus Augusti View Post
        I could not possibly disagree with this more. Timothy Zahn is a great author, and his Thrawn trilogy is fantastic. In fact, that is what got me into the expanded universe in the first place. I think the vast majority of fans agree with me and would love to see them made into movies...which is why it won't happen!
        I couldn't agree more with you, Kyle.
        My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post

Maybe Disney will start meddling with the next phase of Avengers, maybe not. I hope they stay the course though and not meddle because the first phase of the Avengers was outstanding (sorry, the topic isn't about the Avengers).
          I don't know Joss Wheaden creater of Firefly, and Buffydirected the Avengers. It got good reviews plus he has a large fanbase. So Disney would have to tread lightly there.

Now for the Expanded Universe is it possible to make them canon in any future movie or does the movie have to directed by Lucas?

Comment

Lucas is not directing, he is a creative consultant now, and produced the story for the next trilogy to be based off of. Supposedly, that's all he gets now.
            The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post

Sony has Spider-Man but Disney had their fingers all over that. They had direct input into the production of it. Not quite as much as a Disney movie, but they were involved. And again, I didn't and won't say whether it was a good or bad Spider-man movie.
              You lost me there. Exactly how were Disney involved in the Spiderman film? Sony does not need to get Disney's approval or input to make a film. They can do pretty much whatever they want. Now I can see if they brought in some of the Marvel comic book writers in to consult on a story but that is a far cry from Disney actually having any say in the production.
              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I usually try to stay away from strong opinions but here goes...
                Zahn was one of the better EU writers. I am not sure how I feel about Disney taking the reins but to say Zahn was bad... I mean he was one of the reasons I started reading SW (that and the fact that I am a Star Wars nerd). I also liked his Blackcollar series. I would love to see Thrawn on the screen.
                Last edited by modelsinchina; 05 Nov 12, 20:02.
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                John Adams, 1770

Comment

If you take a sampling of the few people on this thread who actually care about SW the majority here seem to like Zahn (6-1). I know my statistical analysis is probably lacking in academic standards but I have never (that is before today) heard anyone dislike Zhan. I also like Salvatore's stuff as well as the x-wing. I have heard the Bane series is also very good but that would probably be a bit dark for Disney.
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                  John Adams, 1770

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Heir-Empire-Th...&keywords=zahn

Hey Jeff that Amazon is great source for polls but compared to a lot of books they have Zahn's books have pretty high ratings. Maybe you should consider giving them a reread.
                    John Adams, 1770

Comment

It doesn't matter. I am not going to reread them. They sucked then, they will suck now. Have they changed? No.

But that's just my opinion. I'm fine if the rest of you like Zahn. It's not the vast majority, but hey, whatever. I'm sure there is EU stuff that I like that other's don't.

I like Salvatore, I liked his Star Wars novel. From what I understand, I am in the minority in liking that one.

I don't drink coffee, I can't stand the stuff. Now there is a vast majority that will disagree with me.

Thank you for the link anyway.

Bottom line is, Lucas has given Disney his stories. They will use what they want to of it. Then they will branch out on their own. If that is EU stuff, then so be it. If it's original stuff, even better. That means MORE options for Star Wars, more content, more stories.

As for Spider-Man, it has all of the halmarks of a Disney film. Cardboard cutout actors that are interchangable with any Disney material; focus on 3D and special effects instead of the story; and don't forget this Spider-Man was made for the sole reason for Disney to make money off of a Marvel product as soon as possible. They couldn't touch Avengers, so they decided to remake Spider-Man, even though they had a good Spider-Man franshise that wasn't even considered old yet.

I'm done. Disney buys Lucasfilm. New Star Wars being made. First three films (at this time) will be from the mind of George Lucas. Following ones...who knows? Indiana Jones will be remolded by Disney...Justin Beiber replacing Shia LeBouf (sp?), Nicholas Cage replacing Harrison Ford. Conjecture, of course, but...it IS Disney, after all. Sigh.

Comment

Gisney sure is on a roll. Now scuttlebutt has it that they may acquire Hasbro. Hasbro owns Transformers and Gi Joe and is the manufacturer of Star Wars and Marvel toys.

http://screenrant.com/disney-hasbro-acquisition/
                        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Say what you will about Disney, but they have not ruined Marvel Studios, or ABC (TV network)- so I hardly expect them to ruin Lucasfilm. Which doesn't mean that they won't, it's just that their recent track record isn't a bad one.

I am positive and hopeful about this move.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion40 View Post
                            Say what you will about Disney, but they have not ruined Marvel Studios, or ABC (TV network)- so I hardly expect them to ruin Lucasfilm. Which doesn't mean that they won't, it's just that their recent track record isn't a bad one.

I am positive and hopeful about this move.
                            Same here, I for one would like to see another live action Star Wars film. Don't get me wrong, I like the Clone Wars animated series I watch it every week but I like live action lightsaber battles better.
                            Some days your the bug, some days your the windshield.

Comment

A friend and I were thinking about how Disney would do a new live action star wars. Many issues arise, such as:

-Who would direct? Recent productions offer very encouraging (Like Joss Whedon), and very scary (Michael Bay) possibilities.

-They would have to recast EVERYONE. All the original actors are too old to reprise their roles, assuming the new movie would be set 5-10 years after RoTJ. Who could possibly play those roles? The only person we could come up with that actually inspired a little confidence was Nathan Filion to play Han Solo. Who would be Leia, Luke, Lando? The new characters would be fine, but to play the icons, its going to be tough.
                              Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Snowshoveler
                                Attack against Saudi Arabia
                                by Snowshoveler
                                Saudi Arabia’s oil infrastructure was attacked by around 10 armed drones by Yemens Houthi rebels and has caused SA to lose half their oil production....
                                Yesterday, 17:56
                              • hobo9
                                C-123B
                                by hobo9
                                Would anyone know the wheel and tire sizes (NLG & MLG) for the Fairchild C-123B Provider?
                                Thank you,
                                P.N....
                                Yesterday, 17:22
                              • Mountain Man
                                Here Comes The Gas Gouge!
                                by Mountain Man
                                Drone strike on Saudi oil fields...the perfect excuse for another round of gas price hikes. And I'll bet all that "excess capacity" just magically...
                                Yesterday, 16:30
                              Working...
                              X