No announcement yet.

Not sure if trolling or just stupid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if trolling or just stupid...

OK, for the first time, I tuned into, 'The Daily Show,' having heard that it's supposed to be funny.

Finding little to raise a smile, I was about to turn over when the presenter said, '...And congratulations to England, ' my hackles rose, 'They think they've found the remains of Richard ( pause) the Third.' This was followed by a, 'Humorous,' monologue on how difficult it could be to lose a King, 'We've had two President Bushes and we know where they are.'

While I'm flattered that Jon Stewart is intelligent enough to identify that this was indeed England (and possibly know that it wasn't the same as the UK), I just wonder how someone could be so ignorant of history as to make capital of a King disposed of as quickly and discreetly as possible by the dynasty that replaced him. The last thing Henry VII wanted was for his predecessor to be found.

Any thoughts from our cousins across the pond ?
    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Reading an awful lot into a gag show, don't you think?
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

You need to watch a lot more of the Daily Show. It's not always a hoot, and unless you live here and can catch the inuendos it's probably not going to come across as easily. Also keep in mind that he is talking to Americans, not Brits.

But I find him more informative on politics than any of the mainstream media.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
        You need to watch a lot more of the Daily Show. It's not always a hoot, and unless you live here and can catch the inuendos it's probably not going to come across as easily. Also keep in mind that he is talking to Americans, not Brits.

But I find him more informative on politics than any of the mainstream media.
        Stewart has come a long way... At some point, he realized he had a serious following and decided to start doing his homework.

I love watching him and Papa Bear go at it...
        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

I don't agree with Stewart on most of his politics but I do recognize that his show can be very funny.

Same with Stephen Colbert.
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Admittedly, Stewart's joke are often... lame. The bad puns, the bad imitations, etc. But he (and moreso he and his staff writers) are really, really good at what they do: Political satire.

Note also that all the guffaws and uproarious laughter from the audience is encouraged and also by uber fans that will wait out in the cold for hours to go to the taping.

I've been to a Daily Show and Colbert Show taping, you're encouraged to laugh loud so it's picked up by the microphones. So at home, it makes it sound like he's the funniest guy in the world, he's not, but he has a lot of adoring fans who will laugh just because they're near him.

I am a huge fan of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert - they are brilliant men who have taken on a much greater role than they had anticipated and use it to cite how inane politics, culture, and media have become. He's left leaning, but he's got his zingers into the Democrats plenty of times too.

His greatest accomplishment, I'd say, was when he took on the 9/11 health bill that was stalled in Congress. In a very serious manner, he brought out first responders that had suffered from symptoms that the bill was to have helped. It was a very well done effort, not over the top, and he wanted to bring it to his audience and critic's attentions.

He is a very skilled interviewer but please disregard his fluff interviews with actors who's out there promoting their movie. He will get into deep arguments with opponents but never go over the top and make the other person look small. It shows his tact and intelligence.

I've stopped watching Colbert. While he and his staff are very talented, I find the tongue-in-cheek of his character a bit too much these days. The most annoying thing I find is Colbert's interviewing. While he is trying to mimic bombastic blowhard political show hosts, he consistently cuts off interviewees and it irks me, especially with very serious guests.

Comment

Stewart is not only lame, but a major disciple of Obama. He's rude and disrespectful to his guests, and thinks he's some sort of hotshot in the political arena. I quit watching him a long time ago.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

For a Scot-he isn't a real Scot either. His opinions only matter to himself or those who like him.
                This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'd rather watch Stewart than Bill Mahrer...that guy makes me sick.

-Matt
                  SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
                    I'd rather watch Stewart than Bill Mahrer...that guy makes me sick.

-Matt
                    Agreed.

Bill Mahrer is a douchebag.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                      Agreed.

Bill Mahrer is a douchebag.
                      I tried to watch Religulous, but Bill Mahrer just came off as a pompous know-it-all *ss. I never watched his show because he's such a douchebag.

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                        For a Scot-he isn't a real Scot either. His opinions only matter to himself or those who like him.
                        He was born in the US, how can he be a Scot ?
                        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
                          He was born in the US, how can he be a Scot ?
                          And he's Jewish...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Stewart

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I'm speaking of his surname. I am Scottish and I was born in Georgia. Makes no matters where you're born, it is your ancestry.
                            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                              I'm speaking of his surname. I am Scottish and I was born in Georgia. Makes no matters where you're born, it is your ancestry.
                              Actually, no, you're an American. You may well have Scottish ancestry, but unless you or your parents were born here, you're deluding yourself.

I've never understood this need Americans have to pretend they're something else. The, 'Irish,' are even worse.
                              Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Klaudia Tanner
                                by casanova
                                During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                                Yesterday, 23:56
                              • Karri
                                Doom Patrol
                                by Karri
                                Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                                Yesterday, 23:55
                              • Nikki
                                Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                                by Nikki
                                Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                                Yesterday, 23:03
                              Working...
                              X