Best Sharpe Villain (TV Series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Sharpe Villain (TV Series)

I was just talking to a friend of mine about our love of this TV show when were younger, and how it still serves as great fun watching. One of the things I loved most about Sharpe was the villains, I thought' It'd be fun to ask people's thoughts on them.

Major Ducos
    The short sighted French spy master who frames Sharpe for stealing French gold

Henry Simmerson
    The incompetent and vindictive colonel of the South Essex who despised Sharpe's lowly station.

Sergeant Hakeswel
    A treacherous and murderous sergeant who bullies the lower ranks but never puts foot wrong with officers. Later rebel bandit chief of sorts and murderer of Sharpe's wife Teresa

Colonel Girdwood
    Commander of the 2nd Bn, South Essex, involved with Simmerson in the 'sale' of soldiers to other regiments.

General Calvet
    The French general tasked with numerous duties which bring him into conflict with Sharpe

William Dodd
    Company officer turned traitor to work for the Maharattas.

Colonel Brand
    Thought to be a dashing hero of a special force of raiders, in reality, a spy for the French. He ordered the murder of the Gypsies who saw him talking to his French contact, one of whom was Harris' girlfriend.

Guy Loup
    French officer known for his calculated brutality against his enemies and the local people

Rossendale & Jane
    Sharpes former friend (Rossendale) and Sharpes former wife (Jane) fall in love whilst Sharpe is in the clink for stealing Boney's treasure, allegedly. They make off with Sharpe's had earned ready and waste most of it. Rossendale resolves to kill Sharpe if need be, but ultimately won't/can't, and is slotted at Waterloo.

Napoleon
    Major Ducos
    30.77%
    Obadiah Hakeswill
    61.54%
    Colonel Girdwood
    0.00%
    General Calvet
    0.00%
    William Dodd
    0.00%
    Colonel Brand
    0.00%
    Guy Loup
    0.00%
    Rossendale and/or Jane
    0.00%
    Napoleon ;)
    7.69%
    Other
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Selous; 04 Oct 12, 15:52.
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

It has to be SGT Hakeswill, memorably played by Peter Postlethwaite.
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

It could have been a tossup between several but for his murder of TeresaSGT Hakeswill takes the prize.
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

I can't vote on this, so I'll abstain. They haven't played ANY of the Sharpe's movies on my PBS that I'm aware of. If they did, it was while I was working nights. I'll have to get the DVD's or something.
        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
          I can't vote on this, so I'll abstain. They haven't played ANY of the Sharpe's movies on my PBS that I'm aware of. If they did, it was while I was working nights. I'll have to get the DVD's or something.
          Yes, definitely try and get the DVDs if you can mate, well worth watching
          ------
          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'd say. Anything he does is excellent.(after all, I know it isn't him, I love the Hornblower stuff, why I always wanted to see that series) I'd also like to see them do the Uhtred series into movies-or something!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
              I'd say. Anything he does is excellent.(after all, I know it isn't him, I love the Hornblower stuff, why I always wanted to see that series) I'd also like to see them do the Uhtred series into movies-or something!!!
              Never read them I've only read a few Sharpe books and Hornblower, not many. But I do know I liked the films, so I can recommend them! You'll like Hornblower - the more recent BBC adaptation with Robert Lindsay as Admiral Pellew, sadly they didn't make many of them.
              ------

Comment

I have every DVD/VHS of the Hornblower series from A&E/BBC.
                I love them. You'd love the Uhtred series.

Comment

Its gotta be Duco as he is in the shows a lot longer than Hakeswell, I did like Simmerson as well to.

All three of them fit right in, just wish they would have done more of the Sharpe series!!

Cheers, I have all the books and DVD's for Hornblower and Sharpe as well!!

Tom

Comment

Went for Hakeswill..pure evil.

Then for his son to appear in Sharpe's Peril..where Sharpie wanted to to kick the crap out of his arch enemie's offspring was masterful.
                    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X