X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRV Ron
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Both true, SR, but how is that relevant to the thread?

This thread is specifically about where things were allegedly "set".

For example, where was Silverado supposed to be?
    The Abyss was suppose to be at the edge of the Continental Shelf but where exactly? Titanic was not done at the actual locations of course.

There is a Silverado California. It was a silver mining boom town in the late 19th century. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverado,_California

Leave a comment:

• Captain General
    replied
    So the "setting" was entirely fictional with no regard to reality, which isn't unusual for Hollywoody.
    No ****.

And your point is?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain General View Post
    Excuse me? Did you even read the link? The first sentence says "Hill Valley, California is a fictional town".

So there is your answer big guy...

CALIFORNIA
    I posted it, little one. No Indians or Cavalry in that part of California, according to family journals that go back to 1839 and include gold mining claims along both shores of Lake Tahoe - claim deeds still in family collection.

So the "setting" was entirely fictional with no regard to reality, which isn't unusual for Hollywoody.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Both true, SR, but how is that relevant to the thread?

This thread is specifically about where things were allegedly "set".

For example, where was Silverado supposed to be?

Leave a comment:

• SRV Ron
    replied
    I understand that for the deep diving water shots in The Abyss, an unused nuclear reactor containment building was used as a tank for building the underwater cliff set. Since it could be flooded with the only light being provided from the remote sub and flares, it was perfect for filming deep underwater scenes of the diver plunging down the cliff face.

For Titanic, a large set was built and designed to be submerged in a controlled manner in a huge tank. The flooding was sufficiently realistic enough to be believable. The set of the grand staircase even suffered damage realistically coming apart as what was observed to happened to Titanic.

Leave a comment:

• skiplc
    replied
    I'm from northern California - Where in Northern California were there deserts, mounted Indians and Cavalry?
    Probably Owens Valley...Alabama Hills near Lone Pine.

Leave a comment:

• Legate
    replied
    Well he can't miss that.

Leave a comment:

• Captain General
    replied
    No...you didn't. If you read the OP, you will notice that I specifically said not to answer with the place where filming actually took place, but with the location that was supposedly represented.

Score: Zip.
    Excuse me? Did you even read the link? The first sentence says "Hill Valley, California is a fictional town".

So there is your answer big guy...

CALIFORNIA

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain General View Post
    I used Google and had your answer in less than 5 seconds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Va..._the_Future%29
    No...you didn't. If you read the OP, you will notice that I specifically said not to answer with the place where filming actually took place, but with the location that was supposedly represented.

Score: Zip.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
    I thought on the back lot of Paramount or Universal I guess. It was(the 1st) supposed to be Northern California
    I'm from northern California - Where in Northern California were there deserts, mounted Indians and Cavalry?

Leave a comment:

• Captain General
    replied
    Where are the fictional settings in motion pictures supposed to be? Not where they were filmed, but where they are "set"?

To start this off, where was the fictional town of Hill Valley in Back To The Future supposed to have been located?

It looks distinctly Eastern in the first two films, but definitely Western in BTTF III.
    I used Google and had your answer in less than 5 seconds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Va..._the_Future%29

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    Yes, many movies were filmed there.

Leave a comment:

• mimike
    replied
    Anybody ever heard of the elaborate Egyptian sets in the Mexican Baja desert for the silent movie Cleopatra. I one read the ruins are still there and could fool some into thinking they really are Egyptian!

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    I thought on the back lot of Paramount or Universal I guess. It was(the 1st) supposed to be Northern California

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    started a topic Where Are They?

Where Are They?

Where are the fictional settings in motion pictures supposed to be? Not where they were filmed, but where they are "set"?

To start this off, where was the fictional town of Hill Valley in Back To The Future supposed to have been located?

It looks distinctly Eastern in the first two films, but definitely Western in BTTF III.
Working...
X