No announcement yet.

The Hobbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son & I saw it last Saturday.....I figured since I saw Star Wars: A New Hope for the first time when I was 7 & my son is 7, that I would treat him the best way I could. We saw the matinee, but went to the IMAX showing, which was fantastic (my son had never seen an IMAX movie). We both loved it (and I loved the fact that they showed the first 9 minutes of the new Star Trek movie on the IMAX only).
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Saw it last Saturday with the family.
      To say that Jackson has padded out the story is a big understatement, but I for one (and my kids) really enjoyed it. Golem/Serkis was again excellent and the CGI was masterly, Golem looking younger and even more like a real being, and the way in which the height perspective between Gandalf, Bilbo and the Dwarf 'party' was done in Bag End Cottage are the things that I was most impressed with.

If you haven't seen it....Go!

Paul
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
        Will wait for the last of the trilogy to come out on DVD, and then watch all six movies of The Hobbit and LOTR together. Hopefully I won't be put to sleep by the first LOTR this time.
        Wait for the extended versions, then you can do 24 straight hours of Tolkien.

I saw it Saturday and loved it. 3D HFR is the way to go IMHO.
        Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
        Hyperwar, Whats New
        World War II Resources
        The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

I went to see it yesterday. Made it about 30 minutes into the film when there was a technical malfunction that stopped the film. Manager couldn't fix it so I'll be trying again the day after Christmas on the theaters dime ( I got a free movie pass).

What I did see I really liked though!
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Will probably see TH by the New Year. I had doubts about it since only FoTR was any good of the trilogy (TTT and RotK were botched horribly by Peter Jackson via additions "improvements" in the characters---ridiculous twiesting of Denethor and Faramir, overuse of the green slime (Army of the Dead), etc.). However, most reviews by attendees seem positive. But I'll only watch it in normal screen version, tried 3-d once with Avatar and found it annoying and added almost nothing to the viewing.

Comment

I saw it in 3D HFR and had no problems with it. I found myself noting that it was rather like watching it all through a window rather than on a screen. I am anticipating the next two like I did LOTR II and III.

And yes, I was disappointed not to see the Swan Knights of Dol Amroth, but resolving the Battle of the Pelinor quickly was necessary if the movie wasn't going to be over four hours long.
              Hyperwar, Whats New
              World War II Resources

Comment

That was great I saw it in 3D on a large screen some people complained that it was too long but I didn't notice the 2 hrs and 45 minutes that it took to run.
                The next 2 movies are coming in December 2013 and July 2014.

Comment

We saw it this past weekend and, as Tolkein fanatics, we loved it. I like how it captured the whimsical side of the Hobbit. We even took our stuffed dragon, Smaug and our pet chameleon, baby Smaug.
                  TTFN

Comment

Did anyone see the 48 FPS rendition? I've heard that Jackson is attempting to single-handedly change the movie industry with this. Anything faster than 24 has always looked unfinished to me, more like test footage, but I was curious to see what someone else thought.
                    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Possible Spoilers ahead:

I thought the storytelling was good. But I have to give that to Tolkein, and not at Jackson simply for not screwing it up. Giving a bit of a tie-in with the LoTR movies has also been done, as has making notes about certain things that really help out the non-grognards like me. I enjoyed picking up anecdotes about certain weapons and things....noting that a morgul blade is actually a something rather than an ethereal sword, some of the history of Glamdring, etc.

Overall the weapons weren't done badly. And the sword noted as looking 'non elvish' isn't really a sword. It's more a grosse messer....which makes sense since its name literally means 'goblin cleaver'. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing a larger gamut of dwarvish weapons, considering that they rarely cropped up in the first films, but were supposedly some of the finest made.

The orcs weren't done horribly. One has to remember that there are more than one race of Orc, and we only see really 2 types in large numbers in the original trilogy. Not much of a stretch to see this as a third type of Orc, of a more 'independent' tradition.

I agree there need to be antagonists, and the one chosen has 'siblings' in the LoTR films that match his style. You also get a better idea of the workings of the elves, wizards, and other stuff in this film, and why certain races in LoTR don't get along, even though there's no reason for them not to that you know of.

The trolls were too well spoken. Nuff said there. But everything else seems in order with that part.

My biggest complaint is the Goblins. We see, in detail, what goblins look like in the Fellowship. Lots of views from all angles. Lots of views of their fighting style. Then they show us something called goblins, but wholly different in every way. That ticked me off.

Finally, I have a lot of technical complaints. Too much CGI was used, and it looks very bright and fake. In the originals, stuff was much more gritty. I get that the green wood should be much brighter, but the rest of the world was done too shiny. I hope Jackson gets some good criticism of this, and makes the next movie more gritty and 'real'. I don't watch because I want to see a fantasy film in a total fantasy land. I enjoy it because it is a 'real' world....with magic and fantasy added. I want Jackson to stop doing a George Lucas, and get back to the style that made his first three films such a smash hit. Get away from 'Avatar in middle earth' style filmmaking, and back to the Lord of the Rings and what made it such a fun series to watch.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4
                        I don't watch because I want to see a fantasy film in a total fantasy land. I enjoy it because it is a 'real' world....with magic and fantasy added. I want Jackson to stop doing a George Lucas, and get back to the style that made his first three films such a smash hit.
                        Excellent point. Tolkien's "conceit' (his conceptual framework of Middle earth) was that it was earth of ancient times, where even the continents had not reached their present form, but it was this planet of an earlier geologic era. Hence the necessity of removing Arda physically and making the globe well, a globe.

Comment

Saw this yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it!

I really liked the bit with Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, and Saruman at Rivendell. Beautiful scene.

I like Bilbo a helluva lot more than Frodo too.
                          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post

I really liked the bit with Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, and Saruman at Rivendell. Beautiful scene.

Yeah Martin Freeman was pretty incredible. If his career hasn't taken off yet, it certainly will now.
                            "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post

Did anybody else notice Galadriel didn't walk at all? I was thinking she had a broken leg.

As for Freeman:
                              Attached Files
                              Hyperwar, Whats New
                              World War II Resources

Comment

I have to say if there's one thing I didn't love particularly it was the way the Goblins were presented. They came off sort of cartoon-like and not quite as vile and creepy (and quite frankly vicious) as they were in the first movie.

The Orcs in this one were cool though, especially the big pale guy.
                                "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X