No announcement yet.

The Hobbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the Dwarves get much character development? they're looking like the best bit of the film, from the trailers.
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

I was curious about it, not only cause my cousin played Bilbo in school, but Martin Freeman is Tim from the UK version of The Office(which I preferred) and is Dr. Watson from BBC/PBS' Sherlock series.
      This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
        Do the Dwarves get much character development? they're looking like the best bit of the film, from the trailers.
        I'm not sure what you're looking for in development, but they do get more attention than just being named occassionaly in the book version. Each has his own little parts; but of course, the focus is on Thorin and Bilbo and Gandalf. Though Balin, being Thorin's right hand man...er, dwarf, gets more focus as well.
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Despite several attempts, I have never been able to make it through even one the books of this series.

I found the first of Jackson's LOTR movies butt numbingly boring. But friends keep dragging me to these films on the grounds that I should love them given my other interests. I admit that the next two were better and I enjoyed them. I'd give the last a 7 out of 10.

Friends dragged me to this one as well. If you enjoyed the first series of movies, you will love this. If you didn't, this movie won't change your mind.

There are too many "heroes" who have more or less the same personality. I identified with none of them.
          The 'bad guys' for the most part were just goofy, it's easy to see that the source material was written for juveniles.

I saw the film in 3D and I did not find it intrusive, which likely means it doesn't need to be in 3D. Some of my friends found the 3D and high frame rate gave early parts of the movie a "sped up' effect, similar to watching old silent films played at modern speeds.

The movie did stop at the right point. There is a 'complete' story told and there is a set up for the next. However, it could have been an hour shorter and the tale would have been much crisper.

5/10
          Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Roadkiller said it best, if you're a fan of the first three movies (like myself) you will really REALLY like this movie. If you have no interest in the other three, then this one won't make much sense nor will it be very entertaining. However since I am very much a fan of the LOTR Trilogy, I would give this movie a strong 9/10. Probably the best adventure movie I've seen in a while. A nice change of pace from the monotony of superhero movies that have been forced out in the last couple years.

P.S. IT'S LOOOONG...so prepare yourself for close to three hours of sitting, but I guarantee it won't be a boring three hours.
            "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wellington95 View Post
              P.S. IT'S LOOOONG...so prepare yourself for close to three hours of sitting, but I guarantee it won't be a boring three hours.
              Is the complete work? I recall reading somewhere it was going to be released in two or three parts.

Comment

Not only do I detest sequels, I have a short attention span at times. Not a good movie for me.
                This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
                  Is the complete work? I recall reading somewhere it was going to be released in two or three parts.
                  You read right: three parts. The first was close to three hours, similar to the movies in the LOTR Trilogy.
                  "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Comment

Originally posted by Wellington95 View Post
                    You read right: three parts. The first was close to three hours, similar to the movies in the LOTR Trilogy.
                    It takes about 5 hours to read the entire book. How did he manage to squeeze a 9 hour trilogy out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                      It takes about 5 hours to read the entire book. How did he manage to squeeze a 9 hour trilogy out of it?
                      They are covering the appendices and events from The Silmarillion that cover what happened between the Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring.
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

AND...they are adding things in that didn't happen in any books. Some good stuff, in my opinion.

I won't say precisely because I don't want to spoil it, but they trussed up a character lightly touched upon in the printed media and made him into the main antagonist.
                        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

I just got back from watching it. I wouldn't say I loved it, but I definitely enjoyed it! Martin Freeman is absolutely stellar as Bilbo. Andy Serkis better get an Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                            AND...they are adding things in that didn't happen in any books. Some good stuff, in my opinion.

I won't say precisely because I don't want to spoil it, but they trussed up a character lightly touched upon in the printed media and made him into the main antagonist.
                            I didn't mind them adding things that aren't from any of the books as they needed to end the film with some type of conclusion which probably wouldn't have been possible if they followed the book alone.

Comment

Originally posted by calger14 View Post
                              I didn't mind them adding things that aren't from any of the books as they needed to end the film with some type of conclusion which probably wouldn't have been possible if they followed the book alone.
                              I agree, yet they did stop this first movie at a good stopping point in the story. However, it doesn't leave much story left afterward, but as they have lots of additional material to add, I think they'll pull it off well for the next movie.

The third one...well, I'll have to see the second one next.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                                I think originally they were only going to do two parts, which makes sense and would have flowed nicely.

But:

According to Jackson, the third film would make extensive use of the appendices that Tolkien wrote to expand the story of Middle-Earth (published in the back of The Return of the King). While the third film will largely make use of footage originally shot for the first and second films, it will require additional filming as well. The second film was retitled The Desolation of Smaug and the third film was titled There and Back Again in August 2012.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X