Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Resort - Am I the only one skeptical over this show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Resort - Am I the only one skeptical over this show?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Re...U.S._TV_series)

When I first caught the visual effects I thought "Well...badass! A sub show!"

Then I started learning more about the plot and all the awesome sub visuals in the world can't keep me from being skeptical over it.

A US sub commander violates orders to deliver a nuclear strike (to Pakistan of all nations, like that would sound unreasonable) for reasons only Hollywood could come up with. He wants official confirmation from the Prez? What do you think those coded, authenticated attack orders are?

Then the US tries to sink the sub. Then they (the sub) make themselves a nation and, judging from the previews, pop a missle off AT the US.

Smells like liberal bull. Could I be wrong? At face value it looks like an exercise in "How many ways can we make the US look bad on film?"
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

I could tell from the ads it was going to suck. US Navy or not. I haven't seen any of the episodes and don't intend to. That's the quickest way to get dreck like this off the air. If I want to watch a show about submarines, there's plenty of them on the education channels.

Cheers,
    Dan.
    So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

The more I read about it the more ludicrous it sounds.
      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

More evil government conspiracy vs "the good guys". And of course the token female character has to be the daughter of one of the admirals who fired on them (based on the previews). More copycat Lost big budget hyped up crap.

Give me Andre Braugher in Homicide any day, not this.

Comment

Looks unwatchable. I'll bet it doesn't complete it's first season.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Looks stupid to me.
            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Re...U.S._TV_series)

When I first caught the visual effects I thought "Well...badass! A sub show!"

Then I started learning more about the plot and all the awesome sub visuals in the world can't keep me from being skeptical over it.

A US sub commander violates orders to deliver a nuclear strike (to Pakistan of all nations, like that would sound unreasonable) for reasons only Hollywood could come up with. He wants official confirmation from the Prez? What do you think those coded, authenticated attack orders are?

Then the US tries to sink the sub. Then they (the sub) make themselves a nation and, judging from the previews, pop a missle off AT the US.

Smells like liberal bull. Could I be wrong? At face value it looks like an exercise in "How many ways can we make the US look bad on film?"
              Didn't you watch Crimson Tide? Fail Safe? Five Minutes 'Til Midnight? I've seen many films which involve rogues and nukes. Where do all these post-apocalyptic trash films and zombie films come from, after all? The whole point of world-destroying technology is the fun you have imagining what happens when it fails.
              Hollywoody, where you're your next release is only as good as the film you're remaking.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

This could have been a great show if instead of this dubious plotline they followed a US nuclear submarine going solo because of the collapse of the US (Yellowstone supervolcano, meteorite, nuclear war, revolution, etc.). Because the whole "nuclear submarine goes rogue, sets up in an island" part is interesting, what ruins it is they seem to be a bunch of douchebags threatening to nuke their own country.

Wasn't there a book or something about a US submarine that was left alone after Cold War blows up and most of the northern hemisphere is destroyed? They could adapt it or something.

Comment

Reminds me of the book Blind Eye, I think that'd have made a reasonable tv movie here. No international appeal, but I'm sure it could've been adapted to be a US vessel..
                  In some ways an antithesis story to the sub one of the above tv show perhaps.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blind-Eye-Jo.../dp/0743415256
                  ------
                  'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

On the beach. But they took refuge in Australia.
                    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Won't be watching this one.
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Smells like liberal bull.
                        That has to be it.
                        Thank you.

Could I be wrong?
                        Does a Taco Bell fart smell like ladies perfume?
                        "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Homicide was one of the best shows on tv.

Comment

Just from your description, I can't say I'd want to watch it.
                            "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

I'd rather watch a Call of the Wild rerun.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X