Please rate these movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please rate these movies

I came here to start a thread so I could get the names of a few good war movies to add to my collection. I find there is already a list going with more than a few movies I know but some I don't. What I'm looking for now is reviews.

Please let me know what you all think of the following:

1. In Harm's Way
    2. In Which We Serve
    3. The Enemy Below
    4. Above Us The Waves
    5. Sink The Bismarck!
    6. Das Boot
    7. Tora, Tora, Tora
    8. The Cruel Sea
    9. The Gallant Hours
    10. The Silent Enemy
    11. Mr. Roberts
    12. Gift Horse
    13. Midway

I've seen some but I would like to see what people think so I can compare to my tastes.

If anyone would like to add recommendations I would appreciate that as well. Extra points for lesser known works.

Thanks all.
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Most of the English films were made a long time ago, and relied heavily on the character-actor bank of the time. Stiff upper-lip very much in evidence as Messrs. Hawkins, More, Howard, Mills, Guiness and even Attenborough (often cast as a bolshy member of the lower deck) took on the Axis.

"In Which We Serve" was actually shot during the war, and if you can accept the normally fastidious but here oil-streaked Noel Coward (in the Mountbatten role) fighting to survive after his ship goes down, then okay.

"Das Boot" is a very impressive film. I saw a full version (2-3 hours?) on German TV. Much would depend on the dubbing; better-subtitles.

Two not on your list - "Theirs was the Glory" (Paras at Arnhem); VR is the guy for an opinion, and more post- than actual WWII "Tunes of Glory", with Alec Guiness and John Mills in a Highland Regt.(Argylls?)

There were some great US war films back in the ´50´s: "Walk in the Sun", & "Battleground" to name two, and many more.

Comment

1, 3, 5, 6, and 7 are very good. 13 is as well, but if you've studied the battle extensively (like I have) and have read Jon Parshall & Anthony Tully's book Shattered Sword, then the inaccuracies will make you want to cry.

-Matt
      SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

3 is excellent, story, characters, actors and real ships of the period.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
          1, 3, 5, 6, and 7 are very good. 13 is as well, but if you've studied the battle extensively (like I have) and have read Jon Parshall & Anthony Tully's book Shattered Sword, then the inaccuracies will make you want to cry.
          -Matt
          Midway was never high on the list for me, I'm not sure if it was the inaccuracies or the acting. I get a big kick out of Bismarck despite any inaccuracies. The British duty-country-God while serving tea attitude has always drawn me.
          John

Comment

1. In Harm's Way: 3/5 - typical Wayne acting, and way too much personality getting n the way of the war. Bad model work, too.

2. In Which We Serve
            :don't think I've seen it.

3. The Enemy Below
            : 5/5 - excellent film relying heavily on fine acting and suspense.

4. Above Us The Waves: Not seen

5. Sink The Bismarck!: 5/5 quintessential British docudrama that says everything about the Royal Navy.

6. Das Boot
            : 5/5 - one of the finest war films ever made.

7. Tora, Tora, Tora: 5/5 - excellent acting, excellent effects and a good perspective from both sides.

8. The Cruel Sea: 5/5 - excellent film based on an excellent book.

9. The Gallant Hours
            : 4/5

10. The Silent Enemy: 4/5

11. Mr. Roberts: 5/5 - based on the acting.

12. Gift Horse
            : Not seen - no listing.

13. Midway: 3/5 - too much personality problems and not enough about the war.

You might consider adding Battle Of Britain to your list. I give that one 5/5 as well, primarily because of the authenticity of the air battles, filmed using real period aircraft and from the open platform of the rear turret of a B-25 modified to serve as the camera operator's position.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Also add The Longest Day and Letters From Iwo Jima...both 10/10 in my opinion.

-Matt
              SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

In my opinion Das Boot is in a seperate league from the other films you mentioned. I think it is one of the best war films ever made.

Tora, Tora, Tora, and Sink the Bismark would be in the four star category for me.

The Enemy Below would be about a 3.5 out of five, Mr. Rboerts would probably be there as well.

In Harm's Way is a 2.5 or 3. Midway is about the same, I really don't think it was a very good movie.

I don't believe I've seen any of the rest.

Comment

I've never been a fan of Das Boote.
                  Last edited by Half Pint John; 13 Sep 12, 17:36. Reason: never

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                    I've ever been a fan of Das Boote.
                    Do you mean ever as in always, or was it a typo and you neat "never"? And did you mean "Das Boote", "Das Boot", or perhaps even "Das Booty".

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                      Do you mean ever as in always, or was it a typo and you neat "never"? And did you mean "Das Boote", "Das Boot", or perhaps even "Das Booty".
                      I NEAT never.

Comment

Apart from, 'Midway,' which panders to the box-office a bit much, your list is fairly decent.

I'd also like to add a few.

Battle of the River Plate - a magnificent re-telling of an early Allied victory.

Went the Day Well ? (The Lieutenant Died Last) - This should be a propaganda piece, but a tight script and superb performances from a stellar cast make it something very special. The idea was explored later in, 'The Eagle has Landed,' this is better.

Downfall - Launched a thousand internet parodies, but this is based on the memoirs of Traudl Junge, Hitler's youngest secretary and the closest thing to an innocent in those terrible last days in the Bunker. Bruno Ganz (the first German actor ever to play Hitler) steals the show in a mesmerising - if harrowing - performance.
                        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Here's one everyone seems to have missed.
                          Attached Files
                          John

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X