Star Trek TNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
    But TNG had to have their own psychologist on board because they were so conflicted (or should I say they were so wimpy).
    Troi was the physical manifestation of Roddenberry's vision of conflict resolution without real conflict. She was there to intervene and prevent the senior staff from going at each other in any like manner as did Spock and McCoy, or on occasion Kirk and McCoy.

Consider the Original Series first season episode The Corbomite Maneuver. Kirk and McCoy get into an argument about who is correct concerning the treatment of a bridge crewman while the countdown to destruction nears zero. Imagine Troi on the bridge at that moment, and what her input would have been.

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
    Plus civilians and families on board a military vessel?
    This was again an extention of Roddenberry's vision for TNG, where Star Fleet had become a true instrument of exploration rather than a space faring military force. Denise Crosby (whom, by the way, I met in person just three weeks ago), once stated that TNG wasn't about conflict and wasn't meant to be. Which, in retrospect, was a notion which help lead her to decide to leave the show and almost killed it by the end of season two.

No one said she was. She was however a psychologist. There to help the crew come to terms with their uselessness.
    Regrettably this was often true, never more evident than when Troi had to deal with her own uselessness in the fourth season episode The Loss.

Oh, the pain......

Then again, I think it's a stretch calling TNG Star Fleet a military force anyways...
    Wolf 359 would change all of that. Sure, slowly at first, but by the time of DS-9 Star Fleet had once again become a military force, out of sheer necessity.

It is also a reflection of a commanding officer that canít make a decision without getting advice from everyone in the crew and any visitors that happen to be aboard. Pickard was the singular most incompetent C.O. of all the series which is saying alot.
    Picard was originally invisioned as a "more polished" Captain, but yeah. I mean, when you have three Klingon battlecruisers bearing down on you and your first order is "hold your fire", something is seriously wrong. He could hardly make a decision without first holding a meeting with the senior staff.

Janeway would make decisons, just far too often the wrong ones.

"Captain, there is a Nebula ahead which if we pass through will cause serious damage to the crew."

"Full impulse ahead, Ensign Kim."

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
      Come to terms with their uselessness? I am sure you did not intend to insult all our combat veterans that used that same service.
      I am sure this is hyperbole.

The addition of Deanna Troy is a reflection of a kinder and more gentle world.
      It was meant to reflect a time when humans had all but evolved past the need for emotions as a guide, or at least the need to overtly act upon them.

You overlook the time when the different series were produced. OS series were meant to have a female Captain, but the time was not right..........this has been since been righted with of all things.........VOYAGER!
      The Original Series was meant to have a female First Officer, namely Majel Barrett as Number One as seen in the original pilot. But you are correct in that the producers felt the time wasn't right for a woman to hold such a position of power. Thus Spock was advanced into that role.

Sisko would be the next incompetent after Janeway with all his hallucinations with the Prophets and his conflict of interest with anything involving Bejorians.............not to mention anything that looked like, sounded like, smelled like or in anyway reminded him of his dead wife.
      Sisko was meant to be conflicted in his role as Emissary of the Prophets. This was a story arc introduced in the premier episode and not fully resolved until the series finale. Personally I thought this brilliant. As for his dead wife this particular conflict was resolved during two episodes dealing with the Mirror Universe.

And Archer with his obsession with making all goody-goody with everyone just because he was the first blah blah.
      Archer was often an idiot. I am working on a review of an Enterprise episode which the events of, at least in my humble opinion, prove this beyond any reasonable doubt.

AND for the record, Kirk relied heavily on the advice of Spock AND McCoy. Don't forget Kirk sobbing away when Spock reminded him that the good of the many outweighed the good of the few and the good of one, and how many time did Doc more or less had to tell Kirk to suck it up?
      Spock was one of the very few true friends Kirk ever had, and had just died at this particular moment. Give Kirk some slack.

To be honest I could only stand to sit through 1 season of voyager and I stopped watching DS9 after the first episode since it had Picard show up in it.
      A moment most fans loved. And you missed the best Trek series ever.

Archer's Enterprise is my favorite series after TOS.

Season 3 sucked though...
      The Xendi arc was meant to revitalize the show, and did to some degree. It did not however achieve what the writers and producers had originally envisioned it would.

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
        Spock was one of the very few true friends Kirk ever had, and had just died at this particular moment. Give Kirk some slack.
        No, Never. Young Sal went to watch Wrath of Khan to seek reprieve from all the wailing, crying, sobbing and throat-clearing involved with ET, a silly movie released at the same time.

The Kirk we were accustomed to would have beaten any alien to a pulp with his famous two fist clenched fist chop and then bed some green alien chick. Khan was no alien but we knew Kirk would wipe the view screen with Khan's ass with or without the midget. But in the end we were subjected to the horrifying homo scene of a sobbing Kirk trying to touch Spock one more time through glass.

I kid of course as always. BUT one just can't overlook any message of the time.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Come to terms with their uselessness? I am sure you did not intend to insult all our combat veterans that used that same service.
          I never said nor implied that the act of seeing a shrink was proof of uselessness. Nor did I state that our troops are useless. If you believe they are then that is your problem not mine.
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

I never got into DS9 personally, nor Enterprise. Only started watching Voyager the last couple years, especially after a certain ex-Borg became a member of the crew. My aunt was a huge Star Trek fan, and she watched TNG every time it came on. Tragically, she died of cancer at age 39 in 1994 (made all the more tragic by the fact they didn't find the cancer until she only had 10 days left), and I didn't start getting into Star Trek until 1997. I think my being a fan of Star Trek is my way of keeping her memory alive.

-Matt
            SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X