Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Way - Or, okay Hollywood, let's see some tanks for crying out loud!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Way - Or, okay Hollywood, let's see some tanks for crying out loud!

I just finished up viewing the Korean war movie My Way. And the first thing I'll say is it has tanks. Lots of tanks. So Hollywood needs to stop diddling and give us a tank movie because if South Korea can do it we sure can.

The movie follows the military career of two boyhood rivals, a Japanese person named Tatsuo and a Korean named Jun Shik Kim. They start out as Olympic rivals and enemies and wind up in the military, Tatsuo as an IJA officer and Jun as a Korean draftee.

They start out fighting in China on the Soviet border then wind up getting captured by the Russians. Just as it appears they've bitten off more than they can chew they get a chance to join the Red Army. And then wind up fighting for the Reich after that, eating up and spitting out every obstacle as they gradually work their way west. In the end they become friends.

The movie features three big battle scenes for each zone and they are colorful and action packed although the Russian battle scene is just a reboot of the opening scene from Enemy at the Gates. If you can forgive the Korean cinema's habit of overacting even harder than the Japanese, it's a good film. The movie offers a good story of long journies and reminds me just a tad of As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me, as the soldiers work their way through constant adversity trying to get home. There are a few regrets, but then, too few mention in this film.

I find if you watch it in Korean with subtitles instead of English dubbed the acting seems more tolerable.

Overall I reccomend you give the film at least one view, just to see the battle scenes. You don't get to see tanks too often and My Way delivers on that count. And if you like the enemy to friend feel good stories it has that too.

Plot: ***
    Acting: **
    Costumes: **.5
    Special Effects: ****
    Tank Scenes: ****
    Last edited by Pirateship1982; 07 Aug 12, 12:32.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Huh... a month later and I'm the only other one to see it?

For the first half hour or 45 minutes, I was wondering what I was watching, aside from one long, awful story of human injustice.
    But it really was a hell of a thing, as they say, and the end was a genuine gut-wrencher.

And I agree with most of the above, but I would give it a higher rating for the uniforms and plot.
    All in all, hard to imagine a longer and stranger journey across WW2, or a harder trip from one end of Eurasia to the other.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
      Huh... a month later and I'm the only other one to see it?

For the first half hour or 45 minutes, I was wondering what I was watching, aside from one long, awful story of human injustice.
      But it really was a hell of a thing, as they say, and the end was a genuine gut-wrencher.

And I agree with most of the above, but I would give it a higher rating for the uniforms and plot.
      All in all, hard to imagine a longer and stranger journey across WW2, or a harder trip from one end of Eurasia to the other.
      I was wondering if anyone had noticed all the Sinatra references I had dropped in that review.
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Well I've seen this film in the shops and rental places. On my list.

Comment

Working...
        X