This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dmf01 View Post
    Watching The Deuce right now. Not bad, by the way.
    Tell me please - as English is not my native language - if dice fall out with 2 6s, does it mean "deuce" as well?
    No. A "deuce" is always a 2. You can "take a deuce" meaning to go to the bathroom and take a $h!+. You might say "I have to go drop a deuce."

With dice, a "deuce" is also "snake eyes," and a rolling two 1's. A 12 on two dice (2 6's) is "box cars."

With vehicles, in the 50's and 60's a "deuce coupe" was a two-seater although that has fallen from slang and rarely, if ever, used now.

Comment

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      No. A "deuce" is always a 2. You can "take a deuce" meaning to go to the bathroom and take a $h!+. You might say "I have to go drop a deuce."

With dice, a "deuce" is also "snake eyes," and a rolling two 1's. A 12 on two dice (2 6's) is "box cars."

With vehicles, in the 50's and 60's a "deuce coupe" was a two-seater although that has fallen from slang and rarely, if ever, used now.
      Thanks a lot!
      Unfortunately I'm unable to send you a rep. Probably a bit later it'd be possible.
      "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

• The Crown, Season 1

The Crown is as far as I can tell a quite faithful biographical story of the early reign of Elizabeth II.
        It covers the domestic political rivalries (period postwar Churchill and Atlee); trivia on the royal family, the romances of those around the young queen, e.g. younger sister Margaret who apparently likes to be humiliated and her own not so happy marriage to Philip,
        as well as the events that shaped postwar Britain.

Everything fits: storyline, cinematography, costumes, history.
        I am in danger of binge watching
        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• The first episode of "The Last Post" was broadcasted by BBC Canada a few nights ago.

It's about a British Military Police outpost during the last days of the British stay of Yemen.

Quite a cast of fictitious characters. Quite interesting.

I'm going to try to catch future episodes.

Comment

• Black Mirror S1E1 National Anthem.

Deeply disturbing about the influence of modern technology and social media/influence of opinion polls on political decisions on society

EDIT: Actually it isn't the technology that makes Black Mirror so disturbing. It is human nature...
            Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 29 Dec 17, 09:54. Reason: EDIT:
            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
              The first episode of "The Last Post" was broadcasted by BBC Canada a few nights ago.

It's about a British Military Police outpost during the last days of the British stay of Yemen.

Aden was not Yemen as it was only what is today South Yemen and Yemen then was a separate independent country (since 1918) comprising what is now North Yemen. On independence Aden became The peoples Democratic Republic of South Yemen (effectively a Communist State supported by the Soviet Union) and was soon at war with Yemen and in some very real ways still is. The two countries have been united, split and reunited -war and civil war seem to be endemic
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• It'd be interesting to see a film about post WWII Malayan and Borneo unrests. (besides Virgin Soldiers)
                "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  Aden was not Yemen as it was only what is today South Yemen and Yemen then was a separate independent country (since 1918) comprising what is now North Yemen. On independence Aden became The peoples Democratic Republic of South Yemen (effectively a Communist State supported by the Soviet Union) and was soon at war with Yemen and in some very real ways still is. The two countries have been united, split and reunited -war and civil war seem to be endemic
                  Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                    The first episode of "The Last Post" was broadcasted by BBC Canada a few nights ago.

It's about a British Military Police outpost during the last days of the British stay of Aden.

OK! I am certainly no longer recommending this series. By mid episode 3, I changed channels...Probably should have done it by mid episode 2, but I had a furlong hope of seeing improvements...

Very good acting but so many, many errors in details and tactics...The research for the show has obviously not be well done...A Sergeant called "Sir" by his troop, Lighting aircraft in Aden (vs Hunters), handling of weapons, discipline, Military Police used as infantry etc, etc, etc...On and on.

Comment

• Knightfall.

Not great, not terrible.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Catching up with Vikings season 5, and watching Colony season 2 on Netflix. Both are great series, highly recommended.

Also saw one episode of Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime. Good one so far, I'll give it another try later tonight or tomorrow.
                        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Still haven't made up my mind about Knightfall. There are holes in the plot. Queen Joan is from Navarre and Isabella was later famous as the "She Wolf of France" in England. The King of France, Phillip the Fair, is looking a bit too incompetent. His minister is getting away with way too much as well. The Queen Joan has been described as "Plump and Plain" and had a number of children with Phillip so I don't see her fooling around with a Monk. Jacque de Molay was 70 when he died. I don't see him as an attractive sex partner at this age back then.

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• If we're including digital sources, I'm enjoying the first season of Hand to God.

Yeah, Knightfall is so-so with me. But they are doing a decent job with armor and weapons, and the core plot has some zip to it, so I'm hanging in for now.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Saw Altered Carbon and Babylon Berlin. Both are very good. Altered Carbon is a sci-fi show based on capability to download human consciousness into any body. Babylon Berlin is a historical fiction show that explores the tumultuous period of Weimer Republic, and it's German-produced show.
                              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                                Saw Altered Carbon and Babylon Berlin. Both are very good. Altered Carbon is a sci-fi show based on capability to download human consciousness into any body. Babylon Berlin is a historical fiction show that explores the tumultuous period of Weimer Republic, and it's German-produced show.
                                We are in sync on our TV watching. Both of these shows are on my Netflix watchlist. It's just a matter of getting the time to watch.
                                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X