Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Military Channel's "Greatest Tank Battles" series. Just started it-the first episode is on the 1973 Yom Kippur War, highlighting the large tank battles between Israel and Syria.

It didn't seem to me like they were really being biased towards anyone-in their CGI animations, they still showed a lot of Israeli tanks being destroyed (let's face it, we'd probably all expect it being biased in favor of Israel, right?), however with something like ~600 Israeli tanks destroyed for ~1200 Syrian tanks destroyed, it couldn't really be bias if they did show more Syrians being destroyed.
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Currently working my way through American Chopper from the VERY beginning. Just started the first episode of the series: the Black Widow bike.
      SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
        The Military Channel's "Greatest Tank Battles" series. Just started it-the first episode is on the 1973 Yom Kippur War, highlighting the large tank battles between Israel and Syria.

It didn't seem to me like they were really being biased towards anyone-in their CGI animations, they still showed a lot of Israeli tanks being destroyed (let's face it, we'd probably all expect it being biased in favor of Israel, right?), however with something like ~600 Israeli tanks destroyed for ~1200 Syrian tanks destroyed, it couldn't really be bias if they did show more Syrians being destroyed.
        They spend too much time looking at the CGI tanks being blown up from different angles and not enough on the tactical and operational situations IMO. Okay as a diversion but the only historical value is in the interviews which only take up a few minutes of each show. It's another great concept that isn't being executed to nearly its potential.
        Last edited by GCoyote; 11 Dec 12, 09:30.
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• A Nero Wolfe Mystery - this is shaping up to be a ****ing cracking series, I'm loving it.
          ------
          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

• Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
            They spend too much time looking at the CGI tanks being blown up from different angles and not enough on the tactical and operational situations IMO. Okay as a diversion but the only historical value is in the interviews which only take up a few minutes of each show. It's another great concept that isn't being executed to nearly its potential.
            True-you do see a lot of them getting killed from different angles-and over and over too.

I do like the footage (although there's not a whole lot of it) of the real battlefields. Mainly because you get to see what the area actually looked/looks like. It doesn't necessarily have a lot to do with history per sey, but it's something I'm not sure you see a lot of in military documentaries. Or maybe I just haven't seen a lot of military documentaries.

I thought it was interesting how they didn't seem to have any non-veterans speaking. Could be a plus or minus, however, because like you said-you might not get as much on the situation as a whole. But the individual experiences were interesting.
            "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Witness: South Sudan

Another in a series of HBO documentaries about war correspondents in the field. This one followed a French photojournalist who got onto a story about local village defense forces that had sprung up to fend off attacks by the LRA in Uganda, South Sudan, Congo, and the CAR. Very gritty look at the use of child-soldiers too.
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• Mankind: The story of all of us (12-part documentary series)

Follow-up to 'America the Story of Us'. Mankind embraces a groundbreaking way of telling this epic human story. Drawing on a growing global interest in a revelatory field of history, now adopted by universities across the globe. 'Big history' focuses on the forces of nature to show how mankind's path is guided by events that stretch back, not hundreds, but thousands, even millions of years. How the power of science, from geology and astronomy, to physics and biology, combined to shape our shared human journey. Revealing astounding global connections, and an astonishing interconnected story. This is history without limits. Free from boundaries and politics. Our story, like it's never been told before. Written by History Channel
                Last edited by PhilipLaos; 12 Dec 12, 09:06.
                "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Right now.

Previously

This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Roger Daltry and Pete Townsend did good!

Err.........I mean, "...did well!"

Philip
                    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Oh yeah. I hope I look THAT damn good at 71 like Daltrey. I mean, he puts Jagger to shame.
                      This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Watching this on Netflix.

Really messed up. But also hilarious!

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                          Is that like Duck Commander?
                          ------
                          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by Selous View Post
                            Is that like Duck Commander?
                            Yep.
                            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• When in the states I used to see Duck Commander in the mornings, it was fascinating to me.
                              ------

Comment

• Season 2 of American Chopper...they just finished the Liberty Bike. Next up is the Dixie Choppers bike.
                                SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X