Saw Mel Gibson's The Patriot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Mel Gibson's The Patriot

Old movie but I'm not always up to date on latest releases.

Anyway, very entertaining and emotional and I really enjoyed it but it shows British troops in America behaving like Nazi Einsatztruppen in Belorussia hunting villagers down and burning them alive and I doubt that was accurate.

The Brits were probably not amused being portrayed like the Nazi SS but I guess the director wanted to make the movie more emotional so I guess in a way I understand his thinking.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

"Tarleton's Quarter" is the inspiration for that mishmash.
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
      "Tarleton's Quarter" is the inspiration for that mishmash.
      That and many other story's mixed in. Still good entertainment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banastre_Tarleton
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
        Old movie but I'm not always up to date on latest releases.

Anyway, very entertaining and emotional and I really enjoyed it but it shows British troops in America behaving like Nazi Einsatztruppen in Belorussia hunting villagers down and burning them alive and I doubt that was accurate.

The Brits were probably not amused being portrayed like the Nazi SS but I guess the director wanted to make the movie more emotional so I guess in a way I understand his thinking.

I wouldn't say it portrays British troops as SS. Certainly, Tarleton's men were rascals and did some bad things, but that's just one group and that's the focus of the movie.

Not really historically accurate, but that's not the point. It was a good movie and Gibson did a very good job as usual.
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
          I wouldn't say it portrays British troops as SS. Certainly, Tarleton's men were rascals and did some bad things, but that's just one group and that's the focus of the movie.

Not really historically accurate, but that's not the point. It was a good movie and Gibson did a very good job as usual.
          So what was 'the point' ?

Paul
          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
          All human ills he can subdue,
          Or with a bauble or medal
          Can win mans heart for you;
          And many a blessing know to stew
          To make a megloamaniac bright;
          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Funny how the feuds between loyalists and patriots or Washington's army burning out the Seneca's got overlooked, though.

Even from an entertainment point of view it was lame. That final climax between Gibson and Tarlton just didn't end. With the operatic score in the background and Gibson's sad-dog look while his tomahowk is flying through the air in slow-mo, it was reduced to dime-store melodrama. In other words, it was crap.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I've known a couple of bootnecks who weren't happy with there being a certain part; the French commander and ally of Mr Gibson's character, has a personal standard which bears, so I was told, the same motto as that of the RMC.
              It's hardly one of my favourites, but I didn't loathe it, as much as I thought I would (I haven't seen it in a while now, though)
              ------
              'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Mel Gibson has never let historical fact get in the way of a good story:- look at Braveheart.
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Or Apocalypto for that matter. Unfortunately all too many people will believe the film version and not bother looking into the facts for themselves. How many people walked away from Braveheart thinking they had the true story?
                  "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                  G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                  Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Meh, whatever. It WAS a good movie. Its not my favorite, but I enjoyed it.

Might pop it in the DVD and watch it again tonight.
                    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                      So what was 'the point' ?

Paul
                      It was a film of American patriotism, just as Braveheart was a film of Scottish patriotism... unfortunately both at the expense of British patriotism.

But joking aside that was the point, and entertainment obviously.
                      "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wellington95 View Post
                        It was a film of American patriotism, just as Braveheart was a film of Scottish patriotism... unfortunately both at the expense of British patriotism.

Actually ,the point was to make a heap of money.
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                          Actually ,the point was to make a heap of money.
                          It certainly wasn't to advance the film maker's art
                          ------
                          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Wellington95 View Post

Unfortunately both at the expense of historical fact.
                            "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                            G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                            Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

I thought it as practice for the British actor to later assume the role of Malfoy in the Potter series.

He was also the scientist in Armageddon, if you like trivia.

I've always considered Gibson's films to aimed at entertainment rather than historical accuracy, and I have always liked his film protrayals.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X