Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Masterpiece Theater believe Dickens only wrote three books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Masterpiece Theater believe Dickens only wrote three books?

I appreciate Dickens' writings, but if there's one things I've noticed, it's that filmmakers and the Monsterpiece Theater that shows British fare, seem to be unable to shut up about a particular subset of them.

Going through the Monsterpiece collection (if you don't get my joke you didn't watch Sesame Street in '87) I have come across yet another reboot of Oliver Twist. And found myself thinking "Criminy, didn't they make a version just a year or two ago?"

I can't count the number of OT's there are. Several black and whites, one musical, God knows how many Masterpiece Versions, a Disney version, a Family Channel version. Criminy it's only a matter of time before they have a talking animal version!

Second on the list of stories rehashed more often than the McRib sandwhich is Great Expectations. Although not as rebooted as OT, it nevertheless has too many versions to be reasonable, including a South Park one.

The third is of course A Christmas Carol which has seen versiona with Jim Carry, Muppets, and Mr. Magoo.

Now look, they're good stories but they weren't his ONLY stories.

You know what I've been waiting for? Hard Times For These Times. I would really enjoy seeing a film version of that.

Instead poor little Oliver's suffering never seems to end.

I mean I confess to collecting Treasure Island renditions but even I kept that to a modest five.

I could never choose between Heston and Newton.

Anyway, let's move on from the usual trilogy and come up with an original movie shall we?
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Masterpiece in many parts,did Bleak House. It was highly good. Did you not see that PS? I did. I really liked it.
    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It's surprising that David Copperfield apparently does not rate.

It was as near to an autobiography as anything Dickens wrote and there was an excellent BBC production with Arthur Lowe (of Dad's Army fame) as a superb Mr Micawber, a character based upon Dickens' father.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
        It's surprising that David Copperfield apparently does not rate.

It was as near to an autobiography as anything Dickens wrote and there was an excellent BBC production with Arthur Lowe (of Dad's Army fame) as a superb Mr Micawber, a character based upon Dickens' father.
        Ive seen one or two Copperfields but yeah nothing like the previous three.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X