Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything that is wrong with Hollywood summed up in one review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything that is wrong with Hollywood summed up in one review.

I was sending a movie scene of Tree of Life to Phil when I came across this review:

Watch it, it's hysterical. When I reviewed the movie I noted a distinct lack of plot and it appears I wasn't alone in my awareness of this. What I find so comically pretentious about this whole review is that the reviewers say "this movie makes no sense.....and that's what's so cool about it!".

"Defiantly plotless". Only in Hollywood is crappy scriptwriting seen as awesome. You're made a rebel for expressing a lack of talent.

Hey, I have some stories I wrote when I was nine years old that were "defiantly plotless". Can I get a producer please?

Mine had dinosaurs too!

Welcome to modern Hollyweird.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Thanks for the link. Since you went to the trouble of sending it to me, I went to trouble of watching it in its entirety.

They inserted that into a movie?

I thought it was extremely badly connected, no continuity - just pretty much random images trying to emulate similar effects in Kubrick's masterpiece. It certainly failed on that score. It is possible to image the development of the universe from the Big Bang to modern humans on film and I've seen it done several times in several documentaries.

This effort struck me as totally pretentious. However, the film as a whole seems to have gotten a generally good reception.

But I won't be watching it.
    Early reviews for The Tree of Life at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival were polarized. After being met with both boos and applause at its premiere at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, the film received very mixed early reviews.The film went on to be awarded the prestigious Palme d'Or. Two of the film's producers, Bill Pohlad and Sarah Green, accepted the prize on behalf of the reclusive Malick.The Tree of Life is the first American film to win the Palme d'Or since Fahrenheit 9/11 in 2004. Head of the jury, Robert De Niro, said it was difficult to choose a winner, but The Tree of Life "ultimately fit the bill". De Niro explained, "It had the size, the importance, the intention, whatever you want to call it, that seemed to fit the prize."

On August 19, 2011 it was announced that the film had won the FIPRESCI (International Federation of Film Critics) Big Prize for the Best Film Of the Year. The award was presented on September 16, during the opening ceremony of the 59th San Sebastián International Film Festival. Malick released a statement of thanks for the award.On November 28, it was announced that the film had won the Gotham Award for Best Feature, shared with Beginners.

The Tree of Life currently holds an 84% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 227 reviews, with an 88% among "Top Critics". The site's consensus is that "Terrence Malick's singularly deliberate style may prove unrewarding for some, but for patient viewers, Tree of Life is an emotional as well as visual treat." At Metacritic which assigns a weighted mean rating out of 100 reviews from film critics, the film has a rating score of 85 based on 43 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tre...ife_%28film%29
    Philip
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by philiplaos View Post
      Thanks for the link. Since you went to the trouble of sending it to me, I went to trouble of watching it in its entirety.

I thought it was extremely badly connected, no continuity - just pretty much random images trying to emulate similar effects in Kubrick's masterpiece. It certainly failed on that score. It is possible to image the development of the universe from the Big Bang to modern humans on film and I've seen it done several times in several documentaries.

This effort struck me as totally pretentious. However, the film as a whole seems to have gotten a generally good reception.

Philip
      Yeah that scene pops up right smack in the middle of everything. It does drag along doesn't it? But I thought the backdrop of the galaxy with the Lacrimosa vocals was pretty. I'll give it that much.

Beats monkeys and monoliths. ;-)
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

"Defiantly plotless"

Did I really just hear that?!!!
        "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
          Yeah that scene pops up right smack in the middle of everything. It does drag along doesn't it? But I thought the backdrop of the galaxy with the Lacrimosa vocals was pretty. I'll give it that much.

Beats monkeys and monoliths. ;-)
          I was thinking more of scenes like this.

Has to be one of the most powerful opening scenes ever. There's something quite similar in the Tree of Life clip but with less powerful music and not as sensitively presented.

And this.

Remember, this was over 40 years ago, using non of the technical imaging resources the Tree of Life people used to produce something vastly technologically, informationally and artistically inferior.

This ain't right!

Stuff's supposed to get better!

Philip
          "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

To be fair (Why would I want to do that? ), terrible insertions into Hollywood movies are not confined to recent times.

Last week, I watched 'The Greatest Story Ever Told'. John Wayne has his only line as the soldier watching as Jesus dies on the cross. Of course, he's instantly recognizable as the iconic cowboy-playing actor, but even more recognizable is his unique accent and drawl as he speaks his line (you have to impersonate his accent to get my point):

"Truly......that..man..was..the san..of Gad!"

At that moment, rather than being intensely moved, I expected the US cavalry to ride in over the hill of Calgary and make a surprise insertion of their own to rescue Jesus.

Now that would have been cool!

Philip
            Last edited by PhilipLaos; 09 Apr 12, 21:35.

Comment

Frankly, I find Odyssey 2001 a complete bore, broken by a few cool parts. The only good part of the opening scene is the Pan Am flight up to the orbital space station.

The best opening scene in a space movie is the Star Destroyer chasing down the rebel ship at the start of Star Wars!

Comment

Phil, you and my pastor would get along just fine! He has mocked that John Wayne line himself!

Comment

Malick's films are not for those with attention deficit disorders, or for concrete or linear thinkers. I plan on seeing it, somehow it reminds me of a more intelligent 'Enter the Void'.
                  For example, I thought The Thin Red Line was far more moving and complex than the overly sentimental Private Ryan, which I did like however.
                  "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

I don't like Hollyweird at all . Their entire message is the left is good and the right is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                      I was sending a movie scene of Tree of Life to Phil when I came across this review:

Watch it, it's hysterical. When I reviewed the movie I noted a distinct lack of plot and it appears I wasn't alone in my awareness of this. What I find so comically pretentious about this whole review is that the reviewers say "this movie makes no sense.....and that's what's so cool about it!".

"Defiantly plotless". Only in Hollywood is crappy scriptwriting seen as awesome. You're made a rebel for expressing a lack of talent.

Hey, I have some stories I wrote when I was nine years old that were "defiantly plotless". Can I get a producer please?

Mine had dinosaurs too!

Welcome to modern Hollyweird.
                      "Embedding disabled by request."
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Click watch on youtube or keyword tree of life ebert review.

Comment

Originally posted by philiplaos View Post

Philip
                          If the critics thought that it was great that tells me that the movie is pretentious and boring with no general appeal worth speaking of. I look at movie reviews in reverse, if the critics love it I will not get near, if they hate then it may just be worth watching.
                          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                          Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Hollyweird is right Yank. They ain't made too much good in years.
                            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                              Hollyweird is right Yank. They ain't made too much good in years.
                              Amen brother !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Klaudia Tanner
                                by casanova
                                During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                                Yesterday, 23:56
                              • Karri
                                Doom Patrol
                                by Karri
                                Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                                Yesterday, 23:55
                              • Nikki
                                Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                                by Nikki
                                Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                                Yesterday, 23:03
                              Working...
                              X