Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "Band of Brother" type of Miniseries from Korea

Road No.1
    With 1200 minutes long, this miniseries is longer than Band of Brothers and the pacific together.
    Not a wasted minute in it. Great Battle scenes and special effects.
    I give it 4/5 stars, because in the first few hours, the North-Korean Inmun-gun use M48 tanks mixed with T34 Tanks. Did the Northkorean Army capture some of those at the outset of the War ? That was the only problem I had with the equipment, everything else looked pretty authentic.
    The movie starts at the Yeonchon-myon bridge, with a korean farming community. And from there we follow the 2ndCompany of the Southkorean soldiers going through the war, that lasted 3 years 2 month and 2 days.
    The style is very close to BOB&P, but the war was experienced diffrently by our Korean protagonist's. Their casualties where extremely high, only 12 out of 240 men will eventually survive. Most unlikely soldiers will rise to fight heroically in battle, other will fail, good men becomming cowards, some traitors, it is a war Brothers against Brothers, Sisters against Mothers, Fathers against sons and so on. There is lots of character development, sometimes turning in unexpected ways. Off course there is a lot of romance, betrayal and backstabbing, but sometimes very unlikely characters raise to the challenge where others fail. Sometimes the koreans overdue the dramatic part a little bit too much for western audiences. But not as bad as in their 60's productions.

The movie is for sale on Amazon.ca:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Road-No-1-So-Ji...2969315&sr=1-1

Looks good. It's nice to see something that focuses on the ROK soldiers.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
      Looks good. It's nice to see something that focuses on the ROK soldiers.
      It is a very good series indeed, I was impressed.
      Korean Cinema has done some realy good historical material.
      Besides :
      1.) Nambugun"
      2.) Welcome to Dongmakol"
      3.) Tae Guk Gee"
      4.) Emperor of the Sea (miniseries) "

Comment

Originally posted by Konzev View Post
        Road No.1
        With 1200 minutes long, this miniseries is longer than Band of Brothers and the pacific together.
        Not a wasted minute in it. Great Battle scenes and special effects.
        I give it 4/5 stars, because in the first few hours, the North-Korean Inmun-gun use M48 tanks mixed with T34 Tanks. Did the Northkorean Army capture some of those at the outset of the War ? That was the only problem I had with the equipment, everything else looked pretty authentic.
        Um, the M48 wasn't around at the beginning of the Korean War. It first entered service in 1953, but was not used in combat in Korea.
        "The Bangalore Torpedo was 50' long and packed with 85 pounds of TNT and you assembled it along the way. By hand. I'd love to meet the ******* who invented it."

Comment

By the way, how many discs are included in the region free box set? On eBay and Amazon, I'm seeing anywhere from 5 to 8 discs (or 2 discs for bootlegs). I'd really like to purchase the official version, but I don't know which is the real one.
          "The Bangalore Torpedo was 50' long and packed with 85 pounds of TNT and you assembled it along the way. By hand. I'd love to meet the ******* who invented it."

Comment

Interesting trailer. Should be good.
            "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by BCap View Post
              By the way, how many discs are included in the region free box set? On eBay and Amazon, I'm seeing anywhere from 5 to 8 discs (or 2 discs for bootlegs). I'd really like to purchase the official version, but I don't know which is the real one.
              The real one is the 7 disc version I have.
              I got it from yesasia.com.

Comment

Um, the M48 wasn't around at the beginning of the Korean War. It first entered service in 1953, but was not used in combat in Korea.
                The M48 scenes are the only real flaw, everything else is in my opinion authentic.

Comment

Right. The US Forces used WWII vintage Pershings, Chaffee's and Shermans in Korea.
                  "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                    Right. The US Forces used WWII vintage Pershings, Chaffee's and Shermans in Korea.
                    Don't forget about the M46 Patton. And the British tanks.

Comment

From what I've researched (not a lot of research however), the Chaffee could get it's arse kicked by T-34s and such.
                      "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
                        From what I've researched (not a lot of research however), the Chaffee could get it's arse kicked by T-34s and such.
                        That's entirely correct. Part of the reason the American and South Korean forces were routed in the early part of the war was a lack of armor support. The heaviest armor consisted of some American Chaffees, because those were the only things readily available. They couldn't take on the T-34 very well. IIRC, three Pershings were found in a depot in Japan, and were rushed to Korea to remedy the situation. All three tanks suffered from engine problems (I think it had something to do with the fan belt) and were quickly captured.

Comment

That's entirely correct. Part of the reason the American and South Korean forces were routed in the early part of the war was a lack of armor support. The heaviest armor consisted of some American Chaffees, because those were the only things readily available. They couldn't take on the T-34 very well. IIRC, three Pershings were found in a depot in Japan, and were rushed to Korea to remedy the situation. All three tanks suffered from engine problems (I think it had something to do with the fan belt) and were quickly captured.
                          Thank you very much for the info!

--Hávamál

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X