Hunger Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunger Games

I have heard good reviews of the new film 'The Hunger Games', I might take my children to see it. Has anyone in this forum seen the film and what is your opinion.
    War is less costly than servitude

I have teenagers who are the target demographic of the novels so I've read the books. So if by children you mean pre-teens, I'd expect things to be a bit too intense for them.
    Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Apparently the novels are almost as big as Twilight, so I expect the film will be a huge hit.

I've heard mixed reviews. Some said the usual "it didn't follow the book closely enough," some said it was cheesy, and others felt it was awesome.

In any case, I think it's worth seeing and making your own call.
      "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

I haven't read the books (not really into teen books), but from what I've seen and read it looks rather silly IMHO.
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I'm with Wellington - I'll see it and decide then.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I don't get the hoopla. Maybe I'm too old. I didn't do Twilight either.
            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roadkiller View Post
              I have teenagers who are the target demographic of the novels so I've read the books. So if by children you mean pre-teens, I'd expect things to be a bit too intense for them.
              No my children are all teenagers.
              War is less costly than servitude

Comment

My wife has never read the books but took my younger cousin(age 17) who has, both of them absolutely loved the film.
                "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

I gave it a 7/10. It follows the book(which is a mashup of "Lord of the Flies" and "The Running Man")closely, which means it has the weaknesses of the book. By making all of the other "tributes" psychotic one dimensional villians it sucks all of the edge out of the situation, making it easy to have no problem with their deaths. The movie drags at points(its almost 2.5 hours long)and most of the dramatic tension is in the first hour, especially the Holocaust like selection process in the beginning. In order to get by the fact the movie has kids brutilizing each other the action is shot with the "shaky cam" in order to obscure whats going on, its far less comprehensible then the efforts in Saving Private Ryan. I'm just glad its not Twilight.

Comment

Originally posted by jtt View Post
                    I'm just glad its not Twilight.
                    Amen brother!
                    ´
                    “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

I have 4 from my 1st wife,aged 36-29,two teens from 2nd (wife from hell) 17 and 16 now,and 4 under 9. None have expressed interest in that movie.

Originally posted by Kendrick View Post
                      No my children are all teenagers.

Comment

Having read a synopsis, it sounds like just the kind of film I try to avoid. I can't fathom the massive interest in books and movies like this.

Philip
                        "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Nor can I Phil. Nor can I.

Comment

I think the appeal is the typical one for teenage novels - it portrays a situation where teenagers can make a big difference to the world by their actions. It appeals to their adolescent search for meaning, their already budding ambition (the limit of which had not been tempered with reality and morality), and their ego.

Comment

This may be a better read:

The Hunger But Mainly Death Games

http://www.amazon.com/Hunger-But-Mai...4957422&sr=8-1

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X