Downton Abbey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downton Abbey

Just discovered this show, about halfway into season 1 right now, I'm hooked, superb stuff

British dramatic series are hard to beat.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Be warned though. The second series or Season 2 as I think you refer to it across the big water .... doesn't start off too well. It does settle down I'm pleased to report, but it starts off at such a ridiculously fast past you can hardly keep track. Plots and subplots springing up all over the place, going off at tangents, and jumping from scene to scene at a rate of knots to keep track of it all.

After the slow pace of the first series it's quite a shock and drew a lot of complaints from the Brit audience. As I say .. it thankfully does settle down and there is a return to form for the last couple of episodes of the second series and the 'Christmas special' which no doubt will be tacked onto the end of Season 2 in the US.
      "COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
      - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Candy floss TV.
        Has as much relation to real life as it was in that period as a Micky Mouse movie.
        Last edited by redcoat; 24 Jan 12, 14:41.

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
          Candy floss TV.
          Has as much relation to real life as it was in that period as a Micky Mouse movie.
          So what?

Last time I looked TVs came with a remote control that enables you to change channels, and an off switch.

Watching TV programmes is voluntary. You watch the ones you like, you avoid the ones you don't.

Millions of people on both sides of the pond like watching Downton Abbey, and don't give a flying f*rt whether it's 'real life as it was in that period' or not. It's a bit of escapism on the box and if you don't like it ... here's the remote!
          Last edited by Tuck's Luck; 25 Jan 12, 06:14.
          - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
            So what?

Last time I looked TVs came with a remote control that enables you to change channels and an off switch.
            Indeed, both very useful when dross like this comes on

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
              Indeed, both very useful when dross like this comes on
              Yeah, use 'em then - you won't have to watch it and you won't have to waste time posting about a programme you despise. It's a win win situation all round.
              - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
                Yeah, use 'em then - you won't have to watch it and you won't have to waste time posting about a programme you despise. It's a win win situation all round.
                Warning people about crappy TV programs is my civic duty

Comment

I think it's an excellent show.
                  "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I paid “Downton Abbey” the ultimate tribute I can bestow upon a TV series: I organized my Saturday evenings around it
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

They have Part 2 of Downton Abbey on PBS here in Colorado and I love it although they rushed through the first part of World War 1 or should I say The Great War.
                      “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                      ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                        They have Part 2 of Downton Abbey on PBS here in Colorado and I love it although they rushed through the first part of World War 1 or should I say The Great War.
                        What episode are you up to over there Coly? It's the first two episodes that are the worst - absolutely rattling through and scenes jumping all over the place .. but then it does start to settle down and by the end of the second series ... it's the Downton most will recognise from the first series.
                        - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

You guys might enjoy this!

I hope the humour won't get 'lost in translation' .. and you may not know some of the 'celebs' in it, but will probably recognise Jennifer Saunders (Ab Fab), Kim Cattrall, Joanna Lumley and Simon Callow - maybe more - not sure how well known the others are outside the UK?

It's a send up of Downton, Upstairs Downstairs .. and all those costume dramas - put together for 'Comic Relief'.

Welcome to Uptown Downstairs Abbey:

Part 1:

Part 2:

- Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

We just finished Episode 3.
                            “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                            ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Mom was Scottish so we were raised on Masterpiece Theater and I mostly just watch mysteries now but I heard all the good reviews that Downton Abbey had I tuned in the re-broadcast and just love it! It’s all that is good about British TV, story, acting and period detail. I do wish that it wouldn't go though so much time, each ep covers a year and I would like more time with the story. And that House!

I’m up to Season2 episode 4, where Matthew and William are MIA and Mary is singing at the show for the wounded and they show up and Mary runs to Matthew and leaps into his arms (well that’s what should have happened!) I also found a preview for the Christmas ep.

Julian Fellowes is supposed to be working on season3 now. Someone tell him to write faster!
                              Last edited by McMax; 29 Jan 12, 19:10.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X