Sherlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherlock

Anyone watch the BBC's new rendition of Holmes? I've found it much more enjoyable than the version in theaters lately.

...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

I quite enjoy it, it's one of the few shows I actually watch these days.
    Diadochi Rising Wargame:
    King Pairisades I of the Bosporan Kingdom

Comment

I watched the 1st 3 episodes online, and have been eagerly anticipating the next 3. I hope they'll be up soon, I know it aired in the UK on the 1st.
      A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

I absolutely LOVE IT!!! For me it's right up there with my other favourite Beeb series of recent years. Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes.

The new episode of Sherlock on New Year's Day was as good as, if not better than what we've come to expect.

Peter Jackson had to wait to get Martin Freeman for The Hobbit ... because of his filming obligations on Sherlock. How cool is that?

Here's a review:

Shall we just start with a list of things that were delicious about Sherlock (BBC One), which began a second run of three film-length episodes last night with A Scandal in Belgravia. We’ll be lucky if there’s a drama that’s as much fun all year, so explaining that it was good, seems somehow superfluous (or “Boring,” as Benedict Cumberbatch’s Holmes might put it).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...ne-review.html

Last edited by Tuck's Luck; 03 Jan 12, 04:42.
        "COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
        - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Yes, an excellent series, although Martin Freeman still reminds me inevitably of Tim in The Office (U.K.version):-can't think why.

In my opinion,though, the best ever rendition of the Sherlock Holmes theme was the film: The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes : a true classic.
          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

I got the first season on DVD for Christmas. Good stuff.
            "The legitimate object of war is a more perfect peace." General William T. Sherman , 20 July 1865

Comment

That does look good!

-Matt
              SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Just watched the first episode...found it thoroughly enjoyable. They did quite well bringing Holmes into the 21st century.

-Matt
                SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
                  I absolutely LOVE IT!!! For me it's right up there with my other favourite Beeb series of recent years. Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes.

The new episode of Sherlock on New Year's Day was as good as, if not better that what we've come to expect.

Peter Jackson had to wait to get Martin Freeman for The Hobbit ... because of his filming obligations on Sherlock. How cool is that?

Here's a review:

Shall we just start with a list of things that were delicious about Sherlock (BBC One), which began a second run of three film-length episodes last night with A Scandal in Belgravia. We’ll be lucky if there’s a drama that’s as much fun all year, so explaining that it was good, seems somehow superfluous (or “Boring,” as Benedict Cumberbatch’s Holmes might put it).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...ne-review.html

Cumberbatch is also in The Hobbit. He will voice Smaug.
                  If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Cause he was Tim. He is just showing he can do drama as well.
                    And for my money,I preferred this too,although Downey is one of my favorite actors. There is room for both,one is in today's time,one is in the original time.

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                    Yes, an excellent series, although Martin Freeman still reminds me inevitably of Tim in The Office (U.K.version):-can't think why.

In my opinion,though, the best ever rendition of the Sherlock Holmes theme was the film: The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes : a true classic.
                    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Looks good. I put great trust in British TV series nowadays. Updating the Sherlock Holmes story to our modern setting - complete with a Watson that is still an Afghan war veteran no less! - is certainly an interesting concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
                        Looks good. I put great trust in British TV series nowadays. Updating the Sherlock Holmes story to our modern setting - complete with a Watson that is still an Afghan war veteran no less! - is certainly an interesting concept.
                        I know! That small detail was one of the things that hooked me. I've always been a huge fan of the books, and I think that they are genuinely trying to do an accurate adaptation.
                        ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

I love BBC America TV and PBS. As a matter of fact,I watch more of those two channels than most.
                          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
                            Just watched the first episode...found it thoroughly enjoyable. They did quite well bringing Holmes into the 21st century.

-Matt
                            I did too...not bad by any means, but not on the same level of the one in theaters.
                            "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wellington95 View Post
                              I did too...not bad by any means, but not on the same level of the one in theaters.
                              The Guy Ritchie movies are great fun, and I enjoy them.

But his version of Sherlock Holmes isn't cerebral enough. Part of the fun of detective stories like these is the whodunit or howdunit, when the detective brilliantly put the pieces together.

In the first movie, there's still a bit of these, although in a dumb down kind of way, with Holmes just somehow instinctively putting them together rather than following the formidable logic traced out in the books. The second movie just seem to ignore this part most of the time in favour of bigger explosions, more bullets, etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X