Movie Watchalong: The Way Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Watchalong: The Way Back

I found a movie on Netflix Instant Play called "The Way Back". It was released last year and although it has an all-star cast and esteemed director in Peter Weir, I had never heard of it. I checked IMDB and it made less than $3 million at the box office.

I would like to propose we do a watchalong on this intriguing movie. Let's give ourselves until Jan. 9 to watch it and then post our thoughts.

Please consider the following questions:
    1. Is it a war movie?
    2. Why did it do so poorly at the box office?
    3. Is the movie good?

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
    I found a movie on Netflix Instant Play called "The Way Back". It was released last year and although it has an all-star cast and esteemed director in Peter Weir, I had never heard of it. I checked IMDB and it made less than $3 million at the box office.

I would like to propose we do a watchalong on this intriguing movie. Let's give ourselves until Jan. 9 to watch it and then post our thoughts.

Please consider the following questions:
    1. Is it a war movie?
    2. Why did it do so poorly at the box office?
    3. Is the movie good?
    You say you have watched it? Post your opinion of it.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      You say you have watched it? Post your opinion of it.
      I have not seen it yet. I will post my opinion on Jan. 9. I don't want to sway anyone's opinion.

Comment

I just finished it so here goes:
        1. No, it is not a war movie. The prison is not really for POWs. The main characters are political prisoners. I guess it belongs in the prison escape genre.
        2. I think it failed because it was not really pushed and partly because there was no real audience for it.
        3. It is sadly, not a good movie. It is too long which would be okay if interesting things happened. The characters are not fleshed out. The acting is pedestrian (except Ed Harris). A female character is thrown in midway through but not for dramatic tension, instead for schmaltziness. Colin Farrell's character has potential for rocking the boat, but doesn't. The dangers they encounter amidst the interminable walking are mundane. Since the movie is based on a book that has been discredited, I think Weir would be forgiven for jazzing the story up.

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
          I just finished it so here goes:
          1. No, it is not a war movie. The prison is not really for POWs. The main characters are political prisoners. I guess it belongs in the prison escape genre.
          2. I think it failed because it was not really pushed and partly because there was no real audience for it.
          3. It is sadly, not a good movie. It is too long which would be okay if interesting things happened. The characters are not fleshed out. The acting is pedestrian (except Ed Harris). A female character is thrown in midway through but not for dramatic tension, instead for schmaltziness. Colin Farrell's character has potential for rocking the boat, but doesn't. The dangers they encounter amidst the interminable walking are mundane. Since the movie is based on a book that has been discredited, I think Weir would be forgiven for jazzing the story up.
          There was thread a few months book where the book was discussed. I read the book and found it hard to believe.

The movie was ok.
          Last edited by Captain General; 11 Jan 12, 09:29.
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Hart's War was way better
            Are we there yet?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X