Review: The Best Christmas War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: The Best Christmas War Movie

I just recently reviewed what is in my opinion the best war movie with a Christmas theme. Agree? Any other suggestions?

http://warmoviebuff.blogspot.com/201...04884575435803

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
    I just recently reviewed what is in my opinion the best war movie with a Christmas theme. Agree? Any other suggestions?
    I'd have to go with this classic. Filmed entirely indoors.

Cheers,
    Dan.
    So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

"Battleground" is a good choice, but I don't consider it to have a Christmas theme. That's one of its strengthes in my opinion.

Comment

The film Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas) must rate among the best- known war films having a Christmas theme.

It was based, very loosly, upon the famous-and extremely unofficial- Christmas truce on the Western Front in 1914, when British and French troops freely fraternized with their German counterparts.

Told from three seperate viewpoints, French, German and Scottish,with subtitles where appropriate,it makes the essential truth that there were few real differences between the men in the trenches on either side.
        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Excellent recommendation. Here is my review:

http://warmoviebuff.blogspot.com/201...yeux-noel.html

Comment

I liked it: people have claimed that it oversentimentalizes the situation, but perhaps that's no bad thing, given the context.

For me, Ian Richardson is especially noteworthy for his role as a malevolent senior cleric who admonishes the saintly ,bag-pipe playing scottish priest and subsequently preaches a sermon of hatred to the replacing troops.
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

I always thought The Crossing was good a pretty good one but its more of a documentary.

[Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Originally posted by Double Deuce View Post
                I always thought The Crossing was good a pretty good one but its more of a documentary.

Awesome. I had not thought of that one. Kelsey Grammer as GW! Again, more of a war movie set at X-Mas than an X-Mas themed movie. Washington was not the type to celebrate anyhow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X