If you could make a war movie.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could make a war movie.....

What would it be about? which war, campaign or battle? And, of course, who might you cast? Perhaps the movie would be based on a war novel or a tv show, or some such? Admittedly, I'm not much into war movies as such but enjoy older ones about more obscure wars, like 3 white feathers and the David Niven movie about the siege in China.

Personally I've been waiting for a good Flashman movie since before I was born, but based on which book of the series or who to cast is another matter. Generally, movies set int he 19th Century campaigns I'd find very interesting and wish there were more, modern ones. (a few came out in the the 60s and 70s it seems, but it's hardly the polish of today's movies)
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

From the medieval era either Hastings or Agincourt. A well researched film made as accurately as possible.

A bit later one about Waterloo. A decent one, not like what we've had up until now.

More modern? I'd have to pick the Somme. That could be a tough one since the scope was so large.

In summary, anything from John Keegan's "The Face of Battle" with the addition of Hastings because if it's historical significance and the fact that it was such an interesting time.

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
      What would it be about? which war, campaign or battle? And, of course, who might you cast? Perhaps the movie would be based on a war novel or a tv show, or some such? Admittedly, I'm not much into war movies as such but enjoy older ones about more obscure wars, like 3 white feathers and the David Niven movie about the siege in China.

Personally I've been waiting for a good Flashman movie since before I was born, but based on which book of the series or who to cast is another matter. Generally, movies set int he 19th Century campaigns I'd find very interesting and wish there were more, modern ones. (a few came out in the the 60s and 70s it seems, but it's hardly the polish of today's movies)
      I would like to make a movie about the german officers that had to escape the wrath of the prussian and bavarian troops, that crushed the 1848 revolution.
      Most of the former german officers serving in the Union Armies, had served in the revolutionary army of 1848.
      There is a movie made in germany to honor them:
      " LENZ ODER DIE FREIHEIT"http://www.amazon.de/Grosse-Geschich...3212311&sr=1-1

Comment

I'd make a movie about Owain Glyndwr (and not because of all the patriotic Welsh stuff ) but because it's a cracking good story. In fact I can't understand why no-one's ever done it to be honest.

He's your typical folk hero, aristocrat turned rebel, charismatic enough to be able to do what no-one else had ever managed and that was unite the Welsh. A bloody good fighter and even better tactician. He was as big a pain in the ar*se to the English crown in his way as William Wallace (and that made a belting movie).

Educated partly in England, fought for the English under Henry of Lancaster, loyal to the crown. But then his powerful neighbour De Gray of Ruthin (think Sheriff of Nottingham sort of character - Alan Rickman or someone like that ) nicked some land. Glyndwr goes to the King and Parliament for justice but they basically say tough ... and that's when it all kicks off.

He gets together a force of volunteers and they attack Ruthin in September 1400, and carry on charging about all over the border area of NE Wales/Cheshire area having various scraps until the English send in an army. Glyndwr and seven men scarper to the hills and stay there for a bit doing guerilla raids and making a right old nuisance of themselves (potential for the sneaky raid scene where the English knights come trundling through the glen in their armour oblivious ... and all the Welsh start charging down the hills hollering and firing arrows or whatever )

Then in 1401 the English take Conwy, Glyndwr and the Welsh respond - battles all over the place and by 1403 he controls most of Wales.

The war drags on for 12 years (hence it being called the 12 years war ) Henry IV sends in army after army, some of them huge (picture the panoramic battle scenes withe English knights resplendent with their George crosses and the Welsh dragon pennants flying in the breeze) but they all come a cropper.

Glyndwr sets up a Welsh parliament at Machynlleth in 1404 where he is crowned King of Wales. Then in 1408 Henry strikes back with a fatal blow. The most powerful army yet - Aberystwyth falls, Harlech falls, Glyndwr's wife and children are taken prisoner (scene where they are dragged away weeping and wailing ) while he and his son Meredudd and a handful of his best captains escaped off on horseback into the mountains.

And that is the last anyone hears of him. He just disappears.

This would make a cracking movie because all the locations, the castles and landscapes where all this played out are still there. They wouldn't need to build any movie sets!

So what became of our hero? Well Henry V offered him two pardons ... but he told him where to stick 'em! (picture defiant scene tearing up the scroll from the king the exhausted messenger has just ridden all the way from London with) to the secret hideout wherever it is. He was never betrayed, even in the darkest days when many could have saved their own skins by doing so (torture scene of Welsh peasant - Where is he!?!? winding the rack but the peasant stays schtum!).

Where he died or how he died is also a mystery ... so you got a great ending ... Glyndwr as an old man (because he was getting on a bit by the end of it all - somewhere between 56 and 66) riding off into the mountains with his handful of trusty followers and then the mist rising up and obscuring them from view as they fade into the distance - nice bit of music ...... roll credits!!

Anyone got Spielberg's number?

Last edited by Tuck's Luck; 07 Dec 11, 13:47.
        "COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
        - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

The Great Siege of Malta!
          Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Comment

Funny you ask.... I already have written the script. I can't give the details unless you buy the rights. Well... I can tell you it's a little bit about me.... but more about the people I met in a war torn land.
            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Tannenburg would be great. It has insubordination that results in a twist, the relief of a commander, a suicide, code breaking, and large sweeping maneuvers.
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I'd do a movie about the life of Paul Irving "Pappy" Gunn, perhaps one of WWII's most unsung heroes in the Allied war against Japan in the south Pacific. He was an excellent flyer, a pre-war, roustabout, civilian pilot and all round, mechanical genius who helped to found Philippine Airlines. When war came, he was in the thick of it from beginning to end. His wartime mechanical innovations were responsible for killing easily tens of thousands of Japanese troops and sailors. The strafing and skip bombing missions he flew read like something out of a "Terry and the Pirates" comic book. The Battle of the Bismarck sea was largely won by the use of his perfected skip bombing tactics. The man was practically a one man Air Force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gunn
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Definitely one about the 1453 Siege of Constantinople- probably one of the most epic sieges in history!!!
                  "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Old 666, B-17E 41-2666.
                    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

A good, well made movie about Cortes and the Conquest of Mexico.
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                        A good, well made movie about Cortes and the Conquest of Mexico.
                        There have been a bunch of conquistador movies, but they all have stank. I'd enjoy seeing a good one!
                        "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Tannenberg

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
                          Tannenburg would be great. It has insubordination that results in a twist, the relief of a commander, a suicide, code breaking, and large sweeping maneuvers.
                          There is a german miniseries, that portraits the battle of Tannenberg for about 40 minutes:
                          Amazon.de also has the trailer right under the cover art, to the upper left:
                          http://www.amazon.de/Charlotte-Link-...3228692&sr=1-1

Comment

Any of the major battles from the Sharpe series would be fine. Badajoz, maybe Sharpe's fortress in India?
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Something current about the COIN warfare in Rhodesia.
                              ..and I'd have Golan-Globus make it. (Yes, I'm far from a film snob, I would rather be entertained then discuss the score over a glass of brandy)
                              Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X