Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Own Up! War films that made you blub a bit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Own Up! War films that made you blub a bit!

if not blub exactly .. well get a bit of water in your eye, or a sniffle going on.

As this is a military history forum, it would be good to confine the thread to films of a military nature - but it can be anything from 'Alexander' to 'Spartacus' to 'All Quiet on the Western Front' to 'Das Boot' to 'Waterloo' to 'Last of the Mohicans' to 'Saving Private Ryan' and all variations in between. If you cried when Bambi got shot then this probably ain't the thread for you!

I'll get the ball rolling by admitting I teared up a bit when a tentative Virginia McKenna went looking for her Aussie hunk (Peter Finch) in a dustbowl outback in 'A Town Like Alice' while he was all suited and booted sat in an office in Whitehall looking for her. When they eventually met at the airport .....

So own up! What war movie made you blub a bit and why?

"COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
    - Mad Jack Churchill.

I wept like a baby when I saw Stripes.

Comment

Comment

Gallipoli did make me tear up a bit. The waste of that attack, still makes me mad. Pearl Harbor made me cry when I thought of the good money I paid to see it...

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          Pearl Harbor made me cry when I thought of the good money I paid to see it...

Pruitt
          Cracked up reading that lol!

Nice one.

To make up for it, here's Sir Burton of Lancaster in action seeing off the Japs!

- Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

I just love the WWII American Navy footage being passed off as Japanese aircraft. I don't mind the AT 6 being dressed up. Anyone notice Burt holding the 30 caliber in one scene has a rag on the barrel, then it is gone and then it is back?

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              I just love the WWII American Navy footage being passed off as Japanese aircraft. I don't mind the AT 6 being dressed up. Anyone notice Burt holding the 30 caliber in one scene has a rag on the barrel, then it is gone and then it is back?

Pruitt
              I don't notice nothing in all five minutes of it .. apart from Burt!
              - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

You already named Last of the Mohicans, it would be towards the top of the list. Legends of the Fall is another sad one. I'm not a big fan of The Green Berets, but it's a little tough when the kid's dog dies and he burries him. We Were Soldiers is bad during the death notification scenes. I've delivered a few of those messages and it's pretty hard. Schindler's List is another sad one.
                Last edited by llkinak; 03 Dec 11, 20:38.

Comment

Now if we were talking scary, Saving Private Ryan had a couple of moments. The Beach Scene!

Thinking about it, Tom Hanks taking on a Tiger with a 45 was a bit sad...

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty
                    Where the Red Fern Grows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_the_Red_Fern_Grows

http://astatalk.com/release/22847/1/...74_Rare_Movie/

I have only seen it once on TV back in the 1980s. Looking for the link has brought it all back to me, even though I have experienced much since.

Paul
                    I just read the whole of the story of that Dibs on Wiki as per your link and I got one question - what's it got to do with war?

War films that made you blub a bit!
                    - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

I second the motion! If we were looking for real tear jerkers, I would have put up "Old Yeller"! That or 500 Days of Autumn.

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty
                        Loyalty. Oh! and fighting tigers in the mountains

Paul

Fair dos! I'll give you that one then.
                        - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Ike - Countdown to D-Day.

I saw it again yesterday - frot he third time. Appreciating the responsibility on Ike's shoulders and the humility, compassion and seriousness with which he took on and executed the monumental task (in the movie) caused more than a few tears in my eyes.

Tom Selleck portrays General Dwight D. Eisenhower - US Army also known by his nickname of "Ike", hence the title. The film emphasizes the difficult decisions he had to make while dealing with the varied personalities of his direct subordinates, including General Omar N. Bradley - US Army (James Remar), Lieutenant General George S. Patton, Jr. - US Army (Gerald McRaney), General Bernard Montgomery - British Army (Bruce Phillips) and General Charles De Gaulle - Free French (George Shevtsov).

The film does not have action sequences, focusing instead on the inner dealings of Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force that led to the successful D-Day invasion of World War II. The film concentrates on decisions actually made by Eisenhower and the pressure brought to bear on him personally, including his personal relationship with British Prime Minister Winston Churchill (Ian Mune). His Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Walter Bedell Smith - US Army, is also portrayed in the film, by Timothy Bottoms.
                          Philip
                          "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by philiplaos View Post
                            Ike - Countdown to D-Day.

I saw it again yesterday - frot he third time. Appreciating the responsibility on Ike's shoulders and the humility and seriousness with which he took on and executed the monumental task (in the movie) caused more than a few tears in my eyes.

Philip
                            I really like that movie, but I can say it never brought out strong emotions in me, other than a great deal of appreciation for what those folks had to do.

Comment

Platoon especially when Elias is killed..it gets me everytime and I have seen the movie many times
                              "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                              "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X