Meryl Streep as Maggie Thatcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meryl Streep as Maggie Thatcher

Saw Meryl Streep being interviewed on the BBC news this evening. I'm not the biggest Streep fan (a bit too clinical for me sometimes, I can see the cogs turning) but I have to say her portrayal of Thatcher is quite uncanny. I think there might well be an Oscar with her name on it.

The casting of Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln seems to be stirring up all kinds of controversy on various blogs and forums with many complaining that an American actor should have been cast instead of a Brit (and before anyone says Day-Lewis is 'Irish' he was born in London and has English and part Irish parentage - his mother is English, and his father is the Anglo-Irish poet Cecil Day-Lewis). However, no such complaints about an American being cast as a British PM.

I think both castings are inspired to be honest. Day-Lewis is a ringer for Lincoln - the height, the frame and the sharpness of the facial features. He is also an incredible actor. Meryl Streep has the pedigree, even if she's not my personal favourite, but I have to say - she is breathtaking in this:

"COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
    - Mad Jack Churchill.

Dang, she's just an awesome actress!
    "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Meryll Streep as Thatcher certainly works for me. The voice in the first clip was so spot on. And Streep as the elderly Thatcher in the interview clip was uncanny.

Hope the movie sticks to the facts as much as possible.

Philip
      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

One to avoid

Comment

I guess there are no British actresses who could play a British leader?

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
            One to avoid
            One for you to avoid maybe, but the awards have already started rolling in for Streep's performance, and there's no doubt it will be a huge box office success. I guess that's the criteria by which a film is judged. Plaudits for the cast, and box office receipts.
            - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
              To be honest, off the top of my head ... I can't think of anyone who could have produced such an accurate portrayal as Streep has managed. It really is uncanny.

Wracking my brains to think of someone .. but at the moment, I just can't. It's directed by Phyllida Lloyd (Emma Thompson's mum) and the rest of the cast are all British. The film itself is getting mixed reviews but the critics seem to be universal in their praise of Streep. I'm not her greatest fan but I have to say, she really is astonishing in this.
              - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
                To be honest, off the top of my head ... I can't think of anyone who could have produced such an accurate portrayal as Streep has managed. It really is uncanny.
                Maybe Robin Williams....

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
                  Maybe Helen Mirren could have been convincing, of even Cate Blanchett (Australian).
                  "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                  Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                    Maybe Helen Mirren could have been convincing, of even Cate Blanchett (Australian).
                    I absolutely adore Judy Dench, but she might be too old to play Thatcher in that way. Although Streep is old too, but just has had more work done than Judy

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                      Nah, Mirren wouldn't be right for Thatcher. She's done two Queens .. I honestly can't see her in the part at all. I'm sure there is a British actress somewhere (I just can't think of one at the moment) - that Ice Queen kind of quality that Streep's got.

A couple of British comediennes did Thatcher back in the day:

Janet Brown:

Faith Brown (can't find a clip for her unfortunately)

And also a bloke called Steve Nailon (fast forward to 1.16):

- Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
                        ... Meryl Streep ... Daniel Day-Lewis ...
                        Thought you were talking about the same movie there for a while - Thatcher and Lincoln. How the hell do they weave those two stories together? But then I googled the movies.

They look promising.

Anyone else seen the Andrea Riceborough movie about Thatcher's early years?

Comment

Judi Dench (although she would be a little old for it) would have been my pick, but Meryl Streep has proven herself perfectly capable of fitting role as well.
                          "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Comment

Originally posted by Wellington95 View Post
                            Judi Dench (although she would be a little old for it) would have been my pick, but Meryl Streep has proven herself perfectly capable of fitting role as well.
                            Seriously Welly can you see Judi Dench as Maggie?

Can you imagine her doing the voice and the wig and all that? She's just wrong for it. Judi Dench would have done a good Mo Mowlam (but Julie Walters already did her brilliantly) .. but I just can't see her as Thatcher. At all.

Still trying to think of some British actress who could do it.

What about someone like Miranda Richardson?

or Juliet Stevenson?

- Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

She's just too old, maybe fifteen or so years ago she could have.

Richardson definitely has the face for it.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X