Tried to watch Space Cowboys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried to watch Space Cowboys

I lasted maybe 10 minutes before turning it off.

That has to be one of the worst plots ever.

Some stupid satellite breaks down (pretty insignificant cause; the Earth is not threatened by Armageddon) so the government spends $500 million (or whatever it costs) to send some senior citizens to orbit because those are the only professionals in the country who can fix the problem?

No thanks.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post

Some stupid satellite breaks down (pretty insignificant cause; the Earth is not threatened by Armageddon) so the government spends $500 million (or whatever it costs) to send some senior citizens to orbit because those are the only professionals in the country who can fix the problem?

No thanks.
    Ah well. Life goes on, no?
    "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Even the Hubble and International Space Station will soon be retired as obsolete and sent into a decaying orbit to be destroyed upon reentry.

Senator John Glen became a real Space Cowboy because of his political influence on NASA. At age 77, Glenn became the oldest person to go into space. There was no real legitimate reason for him to fly on that shuttle mission. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Glenn
      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

MonsterZero, you really should give this movie a second
        try. The premise is more interesting than you might think.
        Even veteran hardass film critic, Roger Ebert, gives it three
        stars!

"....a satellite from the former Soviet Union is falling toward Earth, and only an emergency mission can steer it back into orbit. The computer code on board is so ancient only one man can understand it: Eastwood, who wrote it in the first place. "How did American code get on board a Soviet satellite in the middle of the Cold War?" Eastwood reasonably asks. The answer is obvious (they stole it)...."

(pretty insignificant cause; the Earth is not threatened by Armageddon)

"....but there's another secret lurking in space that comes as a nasty surprise."

"Great swatches of "Space Cowboys" are constructed, indeed, out of generic expectations. But the stuff in outer space is unexpected, the surprise waiting out there is genuine, and meanwhile, there's an abundance of charm and screen presence from the four veteran actors."

The script has to twist and contort some improbable plot devices in order to set itself up....Once there however, the film gets a surprising amount of mileage out of the concept.... The cast, to a person, give fine performances. It is when "Space Cowboys" gets into orbit, during the latter third, that the film comes into its own. Industrial Light and Magic’s effects here are excellent – you do get a sense of the aloneness and immensity of space – and the accumulating onboard problems during the space scenes are grippingly directed.

Comment

No thanks.
          Buddy,

You missed the whole concept of entertainment. Stop being so critical and watch the movie. If you had continued through, you would have seen that much of the story plot is in fact laughing at the premise that you deemed stupid.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Basically a good film with some purely Hollywoody moments, such as the improbable landing scene, but a great ending, and the characters are great!
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

No thanks.
              I liked Space Cowboys, mostly.

But if Space Cowboys does not appeal to you, perhaps you should try Cowboys & Aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion40 View Post
                I liked Space Cowboys, mostly.

But if Space Cowboys does not appeal to you, perhaps you should try Cowboys & Aliens.
                I did, and I like it! It was on a par with Battle for Los Angeles and some of those other films, and certainly no less improbable than the Indiana Jones films.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I liked it too, mostly.

Comment

Working...
                  X