No announcement yet.

Burt Lancaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenneth Angerīs two volume opus on cinema sleaze Hollywood Babylon , perhaps still regarded as the definitive work on the theme, does not mention Lancaster. The rest of the gang, especially Flynn, get full coverage.

If there had been any dirt on Lancasterīs sexuality available when the books were published back around 1984, Iīm sure Anger would have ferreted it out and written it up.

Comment

Another favorite of mine starring Burt and another cool dude Kirk Douglas. If you watch the opening credits you'll also see Lee Van Cleef, Dennis Hopper, DeForrest Kelly, Martin Milner, and Jack Elam included in the cast:

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Great picks everyone .. I really appreciate it. I still can't quite get over how I watched all the old Burt movies as a kid (old movies were par for the course on British TV - still are to some extent) but never really 'got' Burt as such. Now I can't get enough of him!

In real life he had reputation of being a bit of a . I think someone earlier mentioned the Jean Moreau quote about him taking two hours to figure out his motivation for picking up an ashtray in 'The Train' and there's no doubting Burt was a perfectionist, a bit of a know it all on set, would sack directors, and tell those who stuck around how to do their job, and was liked and loathed in equal measure. Michael Winner talks about how Burt dangled him by the neck over a cliff edge when he was displeased with something the director had said, or some instruction he had given.

However, Burt most definitely mellowed with age as the actors and crew of 'Local Hero' will willingly attest. They loved him! To them in their tiny Scottish village location he was the 'big Hollywood Star' and they were completely in awe .. but found him fun loving, down to earth, he kept them entertained with anecdotes, happily dished out advice, posed for photographs and was by all accounts an absolute joy to work with. As someone else already mentioned on this thread. He took a fraction of his normal fee. The movie didn't have the budget, but Burt still played the part and gave the film his full support. He also apparently struck up a friendship with Fulton Mackay (who the Brits on here will best know as the screw in Porridge) that lasted until Mackay's death in 1987.

"COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
        - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenTiger View Post
          Kenneth Angerīs two volume opus on cinema sleaze Hollywood Babylon , perhaps still regarded as the definitive work on the theme, does not mention Lancaster. The rest of the gang, especially Flynn, get full coverage.

If there had been any dirt on Lancasterīs sexuality available when the books were published back around 1984, Iīm sure Anger would have ferreted it out and written it up.
          The first two books created a market for sensational books of of this type. There was a "Hollywood Babylon" TV series and I see a book called "Hollywood Babylon Strikes Again!" on Google. Just go into a Books A Million or Barnes and Noble and you will find these types of books usually in the discount section. I browse the discount rows, but seldom stop in the "Hollywood" areas.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            "What a shot" What was that? Eight hundred yards?!"

"More like a thousand."

"My own load."
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

This is from the DVD of The Professionals, it has his best lines from the movie as well as some background on his career

Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

The Unknown War

Burt Lancaster narrated:

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                  This is from the DVD of The Professionals, it has his best lines from the movie as well as some background on his career

Wow Lance, thankyou so much!! I thought I'd tracked down everything there was on youtube but I missed this one completely!

Thanks again.
                  - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by Konzev View Post
                    Burt Lancaster narrated:

Wow, again, thankyou so much for this. Now I'll have to buy the box set!
                    - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by Konzev View Post
                      Burt Lancaster narrated:

I'd like to see this. I remember it being on TV back in the 80's. Haven't seen it around since.
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X