Burt Lancaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burt Lancaster

I don't know how many females still post on this forum and I'm not sure how many of the blokes on here will understand where I'm coming from .. but I have got myself a right old crush going on in regards to Sir Burton of Lancaster!

I have absolutely no idea how this has come about.

Now I grew up watching old Hollywood movies with the likes of Burt and all them ... and even in my 20s I got a bit of a thing about old Hollywood (after reading Frank Capra's wonderful book - The Name Above The Title) but somehow the Lord Burtship passed me by.

So I have absolutely no idea, why, in the past few weeks, I've developed this bizarre, middle aged crush on a film actor who has been dead for 17 years and would be 100 years old in 2013. When I was a teenager, I had a mad crush on Paul Newman .. but to get a crush on someone who's been dead for 17 years, at my time of life, is puzzling to say the least.

The thing is I was more than aware of his Burtwondrousness early on. I mean who can forget him? Those mannerisms, that voice, those teeth. He was an Ulsterman was Burt - and even in his American New York voice you can hear a bit of the Ian Paisley in the clipped diction.

Since my crush developed I've read everything there is to read on the Divine Burt, both online and from the library - and I know a great deal more about him. He fathered five kids, was married three times, had numerous affairs (Shelley Winters being the most notable) and was as fit as a fiddle, did his own acrobatics in the movies, jogged every day, long before it was fashionable to jog, but unfortunately smoked like a chimney and ate a cholesterol laden diet that did for him in the end.

Anyways, he was one of the greats was Burt, and drop dead gorgeous from where I'm standing .. so what are your favourite Burt movies?

Forget about him rolling about in the Pearl Harbour surf with Deborah Kerr (I'm trying to, trust me I'm trying to) but maybe go for one of his other (and many) stellar performances?

Here's one of mine - Burt and Tony Curtis in 'The Sweet Smell of Success'

Last edited by Tuck's Luck; 18 Nov 11, 19:45.
    "COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
    - Mad Jack Churchill.

Well, the man is scrumptious, no doubt about it.

Comment

It's normal.... he was a FSG.

My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Burt Lancaster was one of the greats.

This scene from Seven Days In May is more relevant today than ever before:

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post

Cap'n I tried to post you some rep for that clip, but it's so long since I've done it, I messed it up, and after hitting a couple of keys it posted before I knew it. So you will be getting a completely garbled message with your rep - my apologies!

If I could use the excuse that I'd been on the lash, I would without hesitation, but I'm sitting here drinking green tea, so no excuses. I just forgot how to post rep!

Wonderful clip, great movie ... many thanks.
          "COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
          - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
            I don't know how many females still post on this forum and I'm not sure how many of the blokes on here will understand where I'm coming from .. but I have got myself a right old crush going on in regards to Sir Burton of Lancaster!

I have absolutely no idea how this has come about.

Now I grew up watching old Hollywood movies with the likes of Burt and all them ... and even in my 20s I got a bit of a thing about old Hollywood (after reading Frank Capra's wonderful book - The Name Above The Title) but somehow the Lord Burtship passed me by.

So I have absolutely no idea, why, in the past few weeks, I've developed this bizarre, middle aged crush on a film actor who has been dead for 17 years and would be 100 years old in 2013. When I was a teenager, I had a mad crush on Paul Newman .. but to get a crush on someone who's been dead for 17 years, at my time of life, is puzzling to say the least.

The thing is I was more than aware of his Burtwondrousness early on. I mean who can forget him? Those mannerisms, that voice, those teeth. He was an Ulsterman was Burt - and even in his American New York voice you can hear a bit of the Ian Paisley in the clipped diction.

Since my crush developed I've read everything there is to read on the Divine Burt, both online and from the library - and I know a great deal more about him. He fathered five kids, was married three times, had numerous affairs (Shelley Winters being the most notable) and was as fit as a fiddle, did his own acrobatics in the movies, jogged every day, long before it was fashionable to jog, but unfortunately smoked like a chimney and ate a cholesterol laden diet that did for him in the end.

Anyways, he was one of the greats was Burt, and drop dead gorgeous from where I'm standing .. so what are your favourite Burt movies?

Forget about him rolling about in the Pearl Harbour surf with Deborah Kerr (I'm trying to, trust me I'm trying to) but maybe go for one of his other (and many) stellar performances?

Here's one of mine - Burt and Tony Curtis in 'The Sweet Smell of Success'

Actually, according to George MacDonald Fraser's semi-autobiography The Light's on at Signpost , Lancaster claimed English antecedents.
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post

I couldn't agree more about the relevance of that scene. "Seven Days In May" is a masterpiece. Burt Lancaster gives a brilliant performance in this Cold War thriller that features a thought-provoking premise and an intelligent, well-written script. The black-and-white cinematography enhances the film's dark theme. This is a good addition to anyone's film collection.

Comment

Elmer Gantry

The Greatest show On Earth

Vera Cruz

The Professionals
                - one of my personal favorites.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Jennie,

According to some Hollywood rumor mills, Burt was not interested in girls. He is still a fine actor. Wasn't he once a circus performer as well?

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
                    He is certainly among the greatest film stars of all time. I have always considered him to be one of the top 5 male actors with many memorable roles.
                    When casting began for the movie Zulu Dawn the producers wanted a big name American actor in hopes of attracting the US audience. The cast was an outstanding solid assemblage including Sir John Mills, Peter O'Toole, Simon Ward, Denholm Elliot and Bob Hoskins. But not an American was to be found among the British, South African and Native Zulu actors. Particularly in his later career Lancaster reportedly would take less money than his status normally demanded if he was attracted to roleor even favored a director. Lancaster accepted the role of Colonel Anthony Durnford
                    a British officer born in Ireland. The film did not do well at the box office nor with the critics. But over the years the movie has achieved cult status among many. Not considered publicly one of his best performances Lancaster did receive good marks.

Jennie this clip is especially for you. About 1 minute 10 seconds in you will hear Durnford(Lancaster) speaking with Chelmsford(O'Toole) in the Irish accent Lancaster developed for the role. Enjoy.

Comment

Jennie, can't forget The Crimson Pirate. First time I watched this, laughed so hard my ribs hurt for a week...

This man was an amazing performer.
                      Skip

Comment

Yes, he was a circus performer before he became an actor, and extremely fit. Watch 'The Train' with Burt and Paul Scofield (A Man For All Seasons) to see a very agile and limber Monsieur Lancaster as a French railroad engineer jumping onto and off of moving locomotives. No stunt doubles used, just Burt himself.

Also, check out the following:

'Ulzana's Raid' A great western about the Cavalry fighting the Apaches.

'Go, Tell the Spartans' Burt as a superannuated Major fighting the VC in Vietnam before the introduction of American ground forces.

'The Hallelujah Trail' Another Cavalry film, but this time a comedy.

And finally, cameo appearances in 'The List of Adrian Messenger' and 'Field of Dreams.'

Cheers,
                        Dan.
                        So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan M View Post
                          'Ulzana's Raid' A great western about the Cavalry fighting the Apaches.

'The Hallelujah Trail' Another Cavalry film, but this time a comedy.
                          Two great movies!

Always liked Lancaster (sorry don't fancy him myself Jennie) always would watch a movie if he was in it.
                          Cymru am Byth

Comment

Canīt think of any of the old-time Greats who matched his versatility over the years.

Gangster/convict, swashbuckler/acrobat with old circus chum Nick Cravat, star/villain of various Westerns, convincing in uniform in war and peace.

Worth mentioning too the amazing transformation he underwent in brilliant performances as the epitome of the world-weary Italian aristocrat in The Leopard and 1900. It was the genius of directors like Visconti and Bertolucci who spotted and unleashed this unexpected talent.

Comment

One of the greats of a by-gone era of acting greats.

Also: The Juggler
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X