Forces Speciales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forces Speciales

Wow. Special forces movies are just coming one after another.

This one is French, I think, but it has Diane Kruger.

I couldn't tell if that's a movie about FFL (or other French SF unit) or just a French movie about an American unit (given that their equipment all seemed American, aside from the helo).

If it's the former I'll watch it just for it's unconventional nature, if it's the later I'll probably pass.

Comment

The transport aircraft looks like a C-160 to me. Also, the French special forces do use the M4 and Minimi. So, could be about the French special forces.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
        The transport aircraft looks like a C-160 to me. Also, the French special forces do use the M4 and Minimi. So, could be about the French special forces.
        I Was talking about the Helo at 0:50 (super Ferlon?) and of course there's the mirage.

I always thought all French forces (including the FFL) were equipped with the FAMAS....

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
          I Was talking about the Helo at 0:50 (super Ferlon?) and of course there's the mirage.

I always thought all French forces (including the FFL) were equipped with the FAMAS....
          Super Puma, I think. And most French troops do use the FAMAS. But their special forces do use M4s and Minimis, as well as a variety of other weapons, including the SiG rifles.

I think our French members will be able to provide more info on this.
          Last edited by Ogukuo72; 15 Oct 11, 09:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
            This one is French, I think, but it has Diane Kruger.

According to IMDB this is a French language film due out on Nov 2 of this year. It stars, as noted, Diane Kruger, Benoit Magimel and Djimon Hounsou. Another actor that will probably be known to English language audiences is Tcheky Karyo. The storyline provided only says "A French journalist in Afghanistan is kidnapped by the Taliban."

Kruger is very well known now, as is Hounsou, who played the slave fighting in chains with Russell Crowe in 'Gladiator.' Magimel is a huge French star and has been in some French action films with Jean Reno. Karyo is one of those actors you've probably seen a lot of but never remembered his name. He played the bad cop in 'Kiss of the Dragon' with Jet Li, was in the original version of 'Nikita,' and played Lafayette in 'The Patriot' with Mel Gibson.

No information on when an English-dubbed version will be available. French action films usually are, at some point.

Personally, I find French action films every bit as good as those coming from Hollywood and Pinewood Studios. If you've never seen any, treat yourself to 'Crimson Rivers' (1 or 2), The Nest, Empire of the Wolves or the bank robbery scene in the last half of 'Killing Zoe.' You won't be disappointed.

Cheers,
            Dan.
            So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

I love Karyo! Yes you're right. Everyone recognise him, but don't know his name, but he's one of the more under-rated actors in my book.

Loved him especially in A Grande Arte with Peter Coyote.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                I couldn't tell if that's a movie about FFL (or other French SF unit) or just a French movie about an American unit (given that their equipment all seemed American, aside from the helo).

If it's the former I'll watch it just for it's unconventional nature, if it's the later I'll probably pass.
                The unit featured in the film is the 1er RPIMa, or, in English, the first Regiment of Parachute Infantry Marines. It basically is the French Army equivalent of the British 22 SAS Regiment with the unit being able to trace back its origins to the Free French SAS units that operated with the other Allied SAS units in World War Two. You can find a short history and some information about it on wikipedia, but it isn't that thorough; even the French article on wikipedia about the unit is pretty superficial-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Mar...chute_Regiment

Here is a recruitment video for the unit-

The French Parachute Commandos who form the GCP (Groupement des Commando Parachutistes or in English Commando Parachute Group), including the commando trained company from the 2e REP of the FFL attached to the this group, and Naval Commandos also use various weapons besides the FAMAS, as already said. It's bizarre to the variety and heavy customisation of the weapons the men of these units use. I have seen them in documentaries carrying G36s, M4s, Minimis, MP5s, and I think even a PSG1, so not all French units use the FAMAS, even though it seems the French have a kind of snobbish thing for only using French equipment.

Comment

From the very short preview, I am definitely going to put the Forces Speciales on my 'must watch' list. Thanks for he heads up on it.
                  "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Hi to all

i have just registered on your forum to answer you about this movie, but i think i will have a lot of things to read and learn here Sorry for my bad english...

So about the movie, yes this is a french movie about french special forces, 6 commandos (4x marine commando Treppel, 1x of the 1st RPIMa and 1x sharpshooter of the CPA 10) who are going to free a journalist (D.Kruger) from Talibans.
                    French MoD has helped a lot (on the trailer in the 1st post of this thread, you can see all the helicopters in the course of duty (Puma, Tiger, Caracal, Gazelle) and some other helicopters and planes. The director is well known for many documentaries about french SF and it's maybe the reason why the Army has helped him so much. One of the main character (Marius) is even a former SF instructor and helped to make the movie even more realistic. It has been filmed mainly in Tadjikistan and a bit in Alps for snowy scenes. It will be available in DVD in march 2012 so you will be able to watch it soon! I enjoyed it a lot, maybe the best french movie about soldiers, and the 1st about SF.

If you have any questions, ask me because i'm in the Facebook friend list of the director, so i can pass any question to him!

best regards from France

PS: i confirm French regular forces use FAMAS but SF use a great variety of weapons, French of course but US,German and Italian too.

Comment

Originally posted by Caracal View Post
                      Hi to all

i have just registered on your forum to answer you about this movie, but i think i will have a lot of things to read and learn here Sorry for my bad english...

So about the movie, yes this is a french movie about french special forces, 6 commandos (4x marine commando Treppel, 1x of the 1st RPIMa and 1x sharpshooter of the CPA 10) who are going to free a journalist (D.Kruger) from Talibans.
                      French MoD has helped a lot (on the trailer in the 1st post of this thread, you can see all the helicopters in the course of duty (Puma, Tiger, Caracal, Gazelle) and some other helicopters and planes. The director is well known for many documentaries about french SF and it's maybe the reason why the Army has helped him so much. One of the main character (Marius) is even a former SF instructor and helped to make the movie even more realistic. It has been filmed mainly in Tadjikistan and a bit in Alps for snowy scenes. It will be available in DVD in march 2012 so you will be able to watch it soon! I enjoyed it a lot, maybe the best french movie about soldiers, and the 1st about SF.

If you have any questions, ask me because i'm in the Facebook friend list of the director, so i can pass any question to him!

best regards from France

PS: i confirm French regular forces use FAMAS but SF use a great variety of weapons, French of course but US,German and Italian too.
                      Thanks for the info. Is a version with English subtitles available online for streaming? Or will we have to wait for the DVD release? Either way, I await it eagerly. I've seen a number of French action films and they're all pretty good.
                      A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                        Thanks for the info. Is a version with English subtitles available online for streaming? Or will we have to wait for the DVD release? Either way, I await it eagerly. I've seen a number of French action films and they're all pretty good.
                        I like French action films too. They have STYLE.

It's no surprise then that one of my favourite action film is Taken - which is a French action film in all but name!

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                          it's a bit early to be sure of that, but it's almost sure as most of times french action movies have a better career outside of France... so i think it is almost sure for english subtitles!

Comment

the movie will be shown in the US movie theaters !!!

ww.lefilmfrancais.com/108015/forces-speciales-vendu-aux-etats-unis

Comment

A French action film sans Jean Reno?!
                              Sacrilege...but I'll watch it anyway.
                              Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X