Mel Gibson Teams with Eszterhas to Make Maccabee Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Gibson Teams with Eszterhas to Make Maccabee Film

Back in 2006, there were tons of stories that Mel Gibson wanted to make a movie about the Jewish resistance leader, Judah Maccabee. Supposedly he even went so far as to make some test footage of battles fought in the biblical land of southern CA. Well, now it looks like it will be a reality:

Mel Gibson And Joe Eszterhas To Collaborate On Film Telling Jewish Hero Judah Maccabee Story For Warner Bros

Itís a project that will have everybody in Hollywood and beyond talking. Iíve learned that Warner Bros has set up an untitled drama that teams Gibson and screenwriter Joe Eszterhas on the telling of the heroic story of Jewish warrior Judah Maccabee. Eszterhas will write the script, and I understand that Gibson will collaborate with him. Judah Maccabee teamed with his father and four brothers to lead the Jewish revolt against the Greek-Syrian armies that had conquered Judea in the second century B.C.
    This could be a fantastic movie if Gibson gives it the Braveheart treatment. Even if you have no interest in the Old Testament, the story of Judah Maccabee is a rousing war story.

Fingers crossed on this one.
    Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Gibson the raging anti-semite playing a famous Jew is like Bin Laden playing the US defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld. Pardon the crude comparison but you know what I mean.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

LOL, this should be good.

P.S
      The Hasmoneans revolt, lead by the Maccabees was long after the old testament.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
        LOL, this should be good.
        Especially if he gets drunk on set.
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

The Hasmoneans revolt, lead by the Maccabees was long after the old testament.
          I might be mistaken here, but didn't Judah Maccabeus lead his revolt circa 160 BC? That would definitely place it in the Old Testament. But even more to the point, 1 & 2 Maccabees appears in the Old Testament regardless of the historical time frame.

As for Mel Gibson...well, far be it from me to defend a celebrity. Quite frankly, when it comes to entertainers, I have a very medieval mentality. I believe the acting class (not all, but most) remain one step above prostitutes on the social ladder. That is why I am never surprised when, say, Eddie Murphy is caught with a transvestite hooker, or Hugh Grant is caught with a hooker, or Woody Allen romances his step-daughter, or Roman Polanski rapes a 13 year old, or...well, you get the idea. But this on-going crucifixion (if you'll pardon the pun) of Mel Gibson just rubs me the wrong way.

The truth is, until Gibson made The Passion of the Christ, he was the toast of the town. Everybody loved Mel! But then he committed the greatest sin for a modern day entertainer - he broke with liberal-secular orthodoxy in a prominent way - and the witch hunt began.

I still look back and marvel at how quickly his cohorts turned on him. I mean, you had journalists digging through his garbage; following his children to school; digging up dirt on his father (I do believe his father has a anti-Semite streak based on the stuff that came out)...it was incredible. If only the media was this concerned about the backgrounds and philosophies of our presidential candidates! I simply had never seen such a full court press before to destroy a man because of a movie. And yes...it was all about the movie. Ironic, coming from a town that routinely defends ultra-violent, ultra-sexual, and ultra-deviant films. I had to laugh as the VERY SAME CRITIC who praised Kill Bill Vol 1 attacked The Passion for being overly violent! Like I said, it was all about the film (Jim Caviezel even said the movie ruined his career. He has since been labelled an anti-Semite as well. Seriously.)

Ol' Joe McCarthy had nothing on the modern Hollywood blacklist mechanism. In fact, I think there should be a new term added to the lexicon: to be "Gibsoned".

None of this excuses Gibson's blatantly anti-Semitic remark ("are you a Jew?"), but I think it does shed light on it. I believe Gibson was broken by the whole ordeal and did give in to the hate.

However, since then he has made what I believe is a sincere apology for his remark:

There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark. I want to apologise specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge.

Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.
          If only Roman Polanski reached out the community of victims of sexual assault. Yet Polanski is routinely defended, but Gibson is still hounded.

My whole point here is that in the sewer of the modern entertainment industry, Gibson is hardly the worst offender, and certainly seems to be one of the more contrite people. And I, for one, am willing to give the man a second chance, especially considering how talented he is as a director.

[/rant]
          Last edited by Rooks Bailey; 13 Sep 11, 01:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooks Bailey View Post
            I might be mistaken here, but didn't Judah Maccabeus lead his revolt circa 160 BC? That would definitely place it in the Old Testament. But even more to the point, 1 & 2 Maccabees appears in the Old Testament regardless of the historical time frame.
            Actually- after looking it up, apparently I never truly understood what Christians mean by "The Old Testament".

I always figured it referred only to what's in the (Jewish-Hebrew) bible, which ends in the book of Chronicles B.
            Christianity, apparently recognizes 'outside' books to be part of the Old Testament as well, these books include 1&2 Maccabees (which is an odd choice of name, since in Hebrew it's Hasmoneans).

Just to clarify my confusion- Hanukkah- the holiday in which we celebrate the success of the Hasmoneans revolt and the purification of the temple- is not celebrated as a religious holiday because the incident doesn't appear in the bible.

Comment

Interesting tidbits there Golani.

Comment

One of the "Nine Worthies." Makes sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Worthies

Comment

Well said, Rooks.

Comment

Actually- after looking it up, apparently I never truly understood what Christians mean by "The Old Testament".

I always figured it referred only to what's in the (Jewish-Hebrew) bible, which ends in the book of Chronicles B.
                    Christianity, apparently recognizes 'outside' books to be part of the Old Testament as well, these books include 1&2 Maccabees (which is an odd choice of name, since in Hebrew it's Hasmoneans).

Just to clarify my confusion- Hanukkah- the holiday in which we celebrate the success of the Hasmoneans revolt and the purification of the temple- is not celebrated as a religious holiday because the incident doesn't appear in the bible.
                    That's interesting. I did know any of this, either.

You know what? The books of the bible get even more confusing! For example, there is a difference between Catholic and Protestant bibles. From what I understand, you will find 1&2 Maccabees in a Roman Catholic bible, but not in some Protestant bibles (which explains why Catholics believe in the doctrine of purgatory but Protestants do not). 1 & 2 Maccabees, along with five other books, are often referred to as Deutero-Canonical books, or Apocryphal books.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                      One of the "Nine Worthies." Makes sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Worthies
                      Great link! I wasn't aware of the "Nine Worthies".

Comment

Originally posted by Rooks Bailey View Post
                        That's interesting. I did know any of this, either.

You know what? The books of the bible get even more confusing! For example, there is a difference between Catholic and Protestant bibles. From what I understand, you will find 1&2 Maccabees in a Roman Catholic bible, but not in some Protestant bibles (which explains why Catholics believe in the doctrine of purgatory but Protestants do not). 1 & 2 Maccabees, along with five other books, are often referred to as Deutero-Canonical books, or Apocryphal books.
                        So inclusion in any version is what separates the Gnostic Books from the others?

Interesting stuff.

Great post earlier, BTW.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Yes, the Apocrypha is optional, either left out completely or in a separate block between the two testaments.

They're regarded as useful reading (I've read my way through 1 & 2 Maccabees several times) but not a basis for doctrine.

I was always told that the Old Testament was the Jewish Bible, just that special reference was given to the Law (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deutoronomy). Certainly the history books and the Prophets were quoted extensively by Jesus and his disciples.

My Old Testament ends at Malachi (c. 5th Century BC).

Oh, and if Gibson does to Judas Maccabeus what he did to Wallace, he'd better stay the h*ll out of Israel.
                          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

I hope it turns out less like Braveheart and more like Apocalypto, even though Braveheart is closer on premise. I really like that movie. Not only the movie is great, those pre-columbian Mayans didn't even speak english

Comment

After that last breakup I am surprised he has enough money for even a pocket camera
                              Are we there yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X