Make a Recommendation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
    On the subject of Iraq War memoirs, House to House by David Bellavia.

Great writing, excellent combat descriptions and very frank and honest.
    Are you sure we haven't met before? We seem to have read all the same books. Maybe we're in the same marketing bracket.

House to House was a great read. I liked it so much that I bought it. In my humble and ignorant opinion, l think that it should be on the reading list of any potential NCO. He does a good job of highlighting the conflict that goes on his mind; what he wants to do, and what he knows he needs to do. Always making a point to never allow his subordinates to see any vulnerabilities in his judgment. The necessity of always being infallible. Overall, a great memoir.
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
      Are you sure we haven't met before? We seem to have read all the same books. Maybe we're in the same marketing bracket.

House to House was a great read. I liked it so much that I bought it. In my humble and ignorant opinion, l think that it should be on the reading list of any potential NCO. He does a good job of highlighting the conflict that goes on his mind; what he wants to do, and what he knows he needs to do. Always making a point to never allow his subordinates to see any vulnerabilities in his judgment. The necessity of always being infallible. Overall, a great memoir.
      Agreed 100%

What strikes me the most about the book is Bellavia's brutal honesty. He talks openly about his fear and his shortcomings - both as a soldier and a leader. In particular, when he admits to his cowardice during a confrontation with a burglar, leading to him joining the army, and when he confesses to purposely denying a wonded insurgent the chance to say goodbye to his children out of spite.
      You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Fox on the Rhine and its sequel Fox at the Front, by Douglas Niles and Michael Dobson...both very good books.

-Matt
        SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
          Probably my favorite novel of all-time! It introduced me to the world of the samurai which led to history books, movies and even the Shogun Total War game. It's a stunning book and covers all aspects of life in medievel Japan. Toranaga, the man who becomes Shogun, is loosely based on Tokugawa Ieyasu as are other characters in book based on real life people. Just an amazing book.

Great recommendation - it is one of the all-time best adventure books.
          "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
          -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

If you're in it for the long haul, try the Patrick O'Brian series ("Master and Commander," etc.) There is very little that can be written about life at sea during the Age of Sail, either fiction or non-fiction, that doesn't owe something big to this series - O'Brian is to this genre as Chuck Berry is to rock and roll.

Clavell's "Shogun" is another great one.

For dark humor, Joseph Heller's "Catch-22" is a classic.

Robert Massie's "Dreadnought" is another wonderful read (technically it's more a political rather than military book).

John Toland's "The Rising Sun" is another fabulous book (and Pulitzer winner)
            "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
            -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jordan View Post
              John Toland's "The Rising Sun" is another fabulous book (and Pulitzer winner)
              Excellent choice!

-Matt
              SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X