Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning on writing a book - looking for advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leandros View Post
    Well, this is probably what Hitler should have done.
    Indeed, that's why I'm pursuing this path for my books. Each book will progress to a different theoretical area of the war, starting with Germany's dazzling and crushing victory at Dunkirk and its aftermath.

Historically, the Battle of Dunkirk was a tactical German victory, but a massive strategic defeat. This first book changes all that.
    'The Most Dangerous Man in Europe'

Comment

Any suggestions for a name?

Here are some thoughts I have so far:

The Lions of Spring
      Dawn of the Storm
      Sea Lions (generic, but something to that effect)

Comment

Originally posted by Otto Skorzeny View Post
        Any suggestions for a name?

Here are some thoughts I have so far:

The Lions of Spring
        Dawn of the Storm
        Sea Lions (generic, but something to that effect)
        What about "Hermann's Heroes..."

Kidding. I am sending you a PM.
        Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
        River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

Comment

Hey all, I'm planning on writing a book, hopefully which turns into a series, on alternative scenarios in WW2 starting with the Battle of Dunkirk where the British and French don't successfully escape. This, as you can see would (or may) totally influence the war in a broader sense, such as over England, Sea Lion, and in North Africa.

I'm looking for support, hints, and advice. I have a talent for writing and a passion for history, and want to share it with the world.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm not sure particularly what to do. Also, if anybody would like to join me on this, I'd be much thankful.

Thanks!
          Okay this is strictly from out in left field but have a small group of British solders ( 10 or 14) survive Dunkirk and move around behinde the German lines causing havoc. Sort of like commandos until the can hook up with a bigger unit. Only my opinon you understand

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee View Post
            Okay this is strictly from out in left field but have a small group of British solders ( 10 or 14) survive Dunkirk and move around behinde the German lines causing havoc. Sort of like commandos until the can hook up with a bigger unit. Only my opinon you understand
            Thank you for the input, it's appreciated, but not what I'm wanting to do with this scenario.

Comment

Thank you for the input, it's appreciated, but not what I'm wanting to do with this scenario.
              Okay just a thought .

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
                I'm jealous of you! I have plenty of ideas floating around in my mind but for the life of me I can't put them onto paper.
                Crackshot here's and idea sit down at your computer everyday and write on any subject you like until you get tired then stop and keep doing it everyday untill you have a book. It might sound silly but believe me it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee View Post
                  Crackshot here's and idea sit down at your computer everyday and write on any subject you like until you get tired then stop and keep doing it everyday untill you have a book. It might sound silly but believe me it works.
                  It's tough for me right now with a full-time career as well as playing sports! I'm going to have to save my writing for some cold snowy nights, that gives me my best inspiration.

Comment

It's tough for me right now with a full-time career as well as playing sports! I'm going to have to save my writing for some cold snowy nights, that gives me my best inspiration.
                    Okay because that's they way I do it , I'm retired right now and I have plenty of time . I get up eat breakfast and then go for a walk ( Doctors ordres) then I put on some plesent music and go to work on my computer until I get tired then stop. Some times I go back and do some more if I think about it .

Comment

Since you are planning to write AH fiction from the axis view point you might want to read and understand the following books:

Wages of Destruction by Tooze

Supplying War by vanCreveld

Hopefully then you can write plausible alternate history and not silly fantasy.

For example, when Italy declared war in 1940 it lost about 1/3 of its merchant shipping that was seized in foriegn ports. An entirely plausible alternate history is that Mussolinni orders the Italian ships to come home in February 1940. This will give the Italians the means to ship more supplies to North Africa.

Repeating discredited ideas like "taking Malta" means the Axis win in North Africa will not be part a plausible AH story.

Comment

Also how about haveing the French fleet go to a British port and join up with the allied fleet . Which they did not do , that way the allied fleet could be a lot larger and better .

Comment

why not start at the absolute beginning of the war to include the invasion of poland and norway. Also what if Hitler would have had his units go through the maginot line instead of above it. Just my 2 cents.
                          Operation Iraqi Freedom 09-10

Comment

First you have to understand the history of what actually happened - apart from cutting the know-it-alls off at the pass, you'll get a better understanding of the components you are juggling, and then how adjusting part A may cause part B to be in the wrong place a few days later and so forth.

The next part is the hard bit - writing it, then editing and re-writing until it's in a state that a publisher will accept and you're happy with. For this part, you need to be disciplined with your time and your commitment as it is lonely and tedious and every word is important. From what I've read of the project, you're telling a story, so you want us to care about your characters. Getting involved with a writing group may be a good idea, as a good group will keep you motivated (how long does it take to write 100,000 words?) and help identify possible weaknesses in your style, as well as strengths.

Anyhow, good luck.

Comment

I'll read anything WWII alternate history...can't wait until it comes out!

-Matt
                              SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X