Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning on writing a book - looking for advice!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Planning on writing a book - looking for advice!

    Hey all, I'm planning on writing a book, hopefully which turns into a series, on alternative scenarios in WW2 starting with the Battle of Dunkirk where the British and French don't successfully escape. This, as you can see would (or may) totally influence the war in a broader sense, such as over England, Sea Lion, and in North Africa.

    I'm looking for support, hints, and advice. I have a talent for writing and a passion for history, and want to share it with the world.

    Any help would be appreciated! I'm not sure particularly what to do. Also, if anybody would like to join me on this, I'd be much thankful.

    Thanks!
    'The Most Dangerous Man in Europe'

  • #2
    An old novel that I recently read maybe of interest to you.

    Title

    The Big Pick-up

    Author Elleston Trevor copy right is 1955 but has no isbn


    http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/...big-pickup.htm

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      An old novel that I recently read maybe of interest to you.

      Title

      The Big Pick-up

      Author Elleston Trevor copy right is 1955 but has no isbn


      http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/...big-pickup.htm
      Thanks mate, I shall check that out. I just thought it would be interesting to see how things could have been had there been a smashing German victory at Dunkirk and what effect that would have had on the war.
      'The Most Dangerous Man in Europe'

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Otto Skorzeny View Post
        Thanks mate, I shall check that out. I just thought it would be interesting to see how things could have been had there been a smashing German victory at Dunkirk and what effect that would have had on the war.
        Reading the Sealion thread(s) here will give you a ton of info on the early part of the war and what is and isn't possible. It's a lot of reading though.
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

        That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

        Comment


        • #5
          First, write the book. While doing so, acquaint yourself with the publishing industry in your genre, especially the trend to e-books. Then, find yourself a good editor, then formatter, then cover artist. By that time you should know what you've spent to produce the book, and the size of your probable audience. Decide on a price below $9.99, and load it up yourself using the self-help guides available on Amazon publishing.

          The alternative is to go looking for a publisher. If you believe your book is good enough to grab a publisher's interest, start writing up proposals and get them out.

          If you expect to earn a living from your books, start researching your market and develop a plan as to how you will reach your target audience via social networking, etc.

          I went the publisher route: You can find my novel here: http://hellgatepress.com/shaun-darragh/dega Andy_S on the Korea Forum has one Korean war history in print and a second coming off the presses. Carlo d'Este who is on the Armchair General board, has published many successful military histories.
          Last edited by lirelou; 16 Jun 11, 14:02.
          dit: Lirelou

          Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Otto Skorzeny View Post
            Thanks mate, I shall check that out. I just thought it would be interesting to see how things could have been had there been a smashing German victory at Dunkirk and what effect that would have had on the war.
            Smashing German victory at Dunkirk.....?....wouldn't have made much difference for most of the guys here.......
            Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
            River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

            Comment


            • #7
              That sounds quite interesting.

              Will it be more documentary type or character Based?
              "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

              --Hvaml

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Otto Skorzeny View Post
                Thanks mate, I shall check that out. I just thought it would be interesting to see how things could have been had there been a smashing German victory at Dunkirk and what effect that would have had on the war.
                Seriously - write the book, drop any publishers - before you are finished they will have sucked you dry. Write it in Word, 2010 at least, transfer it to PDF, Find your own printers. The Baltic guys are excellent.
                Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
                River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
                  That sounds quite interesting.

                  Will it be more documentary type or character Based?
                  A little of both. Purely a speculative fictional scenario with both real and fake characters. I'm pretty young, but I have excellent writing skills and an excellent grasp on WW2.
                  'The Most Dangerous Man in Europe'

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well that's good-I'm young myself and I've thought up a couple possible stories myself.
                    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

                    --Hvaml

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Otto Skorzeny View Post
                      I'm pretty young, but I have excellent writing skills and an excellent grasp on WW2.
                      I'm jealous of you! I have plenty of ideas floating around in my mind but for the life of me I can't put them onto paper.
                      You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

                      -- Ataturk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Otto Skorzeny View Post
                        Hey all, I'm planning on writing a book, hopefully which turns into a series, on alternative scenarios in WW2 starting with the Battle of Dunkirk where the British and French don't successfully escape. This, as you can see would (or may) totally influence the war in a broader sense, such as over England, Sea Lion, and in North Africa.

                        I'm looking for support, hints, and advice. I have a talent for writing and a passion for history, and want to share it with the world.

                        Any help would be appreciated! I'm not sure particularly what to do. Also, if anybody would like to join me on this, I'd be much thankful.

                        Thanks!
                        I think you need to decided upon the basic outline of how you envisage your alternate history developing. Also how are you going to explore it - more character driven from a more everyman type character or a major historical figure?

                        Also I would second the advice about forgetting about publishers at the moment - get your project well underway before making a decision on how to approach one of them (if at all).

                        Good luck - sounds an interesting project.
                        "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                        G.B Shaw

                        "They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                        Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm inclined to suggest following a fictional BEF soldier, for example, or if possible, one who existed-the former would be the easiest, of course.
                          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

                          --Hvaml

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm actually planning on writing the book from the Axis point of view. Case in point, in my scenario as it develops, Hitler focuses all available resources into crushing Britain (and to a lesser extent, aiding the Italians in North Africa to seize the canal, Malta, and Gibraltar) and waits until Britain and Ireland are out of the way before worrying about assaulting the USSR which *could* preemptively strike from the East, I'm not sure yet. All I know right now is that Hitler will take full advantage of the resources he's going to get from Stalin for the time being.

                            I hope this sheds some light onto some of the paths I may take.
                            'The Most Dangerous Man in Europe'

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Otto Skorzeny View Post
                              I'm actually planning on writing the book from the Axis point of view. Case in point, in my scenario as it develops, Hitler focuses all available resources into crushing Britain (and to a lesser extent, aiding the Italians in North Africa to seize the canal, Malta, and Gibraltar) and waits until Britain and Ireland are out of the way before worrying about assaulting the USSR which *could* preemptively strike from the East, I'm not sure yet. All I know right now is that Hitler will take full advantage of the resources he's going to get from Stalin for the time being.

                              I hope this sheds some light onto some of the paths I may take.
                              Well, this is probably what Hitler should have done.
                              Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
                              River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X